Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POOR FRONT BRAKE

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Spanish Flyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POOR FRONT BRAKE

I have now riden my Dyna for about 600 miles and the front brake leaves a lot to be desired. On the 2007 Dyna you don't have the option of installing dual discs..don't ask me why, but it is a fact. Still I don't really like the look of dual discs on my Dyna. I was more thinking about installing an aftermarket 6 pot or something similar. Has anybody done it? On my earlier bike I could lock the front wheel any time and brake in an emergency with one finger. Now I grab the whole lever and it is not enough, so I keep my distance between me and the car ahead; even then I keep thinking that if they brake suddenly I might not make it.... (not a nice feeling when you are riding)[&o]

Old 08-26-2007, 02:03 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,795 Likes on 2,537 Posts
Default RE: POOR FRONT BRAKE

have you checked with your dealer about possibly bleeding the front brake system? i don't know what kind of bike your previous was, but i have always been concerned about locking up the front and have the front wheel wash out on me. i have had enough front brake that the tire howls in protest then it gets "feathered" with rear brake application. also have you thought about roughing up the disc and pads with some sand paper?

Old 08-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Dan B
Cruiser

Instead of an aftermarket caliper, buy the one V-Rod has, its a Brembo. Good stuff.
Dyna and V-rod shares the same front.

/Dan

Old 08-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Spanish Flyer
Tourer

No air there Seniorsuperglide.. I am or was.. a bike mechanic in my early stages of life and ended up working for Honda Racing Team in the UK. My previous bike a V-MAx with R1 brakes. Similar weight to my Dyna 07; I could feather the brakes with one finger. I´m not asking for the same performance, but at least feel assured that I don't knock the car in front! You can master a powerful brake but you cannot tell your bike to stop when you don't have brakes. You mention about the concern about locking the front wheel and losing it...well that again it takes practice and to tell you the truth, the brakes as they are right now, they are good enough to throw me sideways on a slippery surface; in those cases you slow down and make sure you have plenty of space and try and use the rear brake a bit more.
I'm only asking for some 30-50% more braking power. One more thing; I designed my house not thinking about my garage and now I've had to make a really steep hill to "climb into it". Well if I stop mid way up and try tocontrol the throttle and clutch andsince I also have to brake with the front wheel as both my feet are on the ground, I have some serious trouble controlling my bike since the front brake holds even less working backwards and I only have one finger to spear on my right hand.

Thanks anyway

Old 08-26-2007, 04:35 PM
slowcoach
Stage II

Hello Spanish Flyer,

Just done 3000m on my Street Bob, front brake been dire from new, although it does squeak the tyre if you use both hands ha!Also got the same problem re: slope to/from garage-perhaps a chock on a long stick might work.. Have been advised that braided lines help a little butsaving to put different bars on first-will post if any significant improvement. Not convinced that most of the braking effect isn't lost in soggy front suspension. Anyway, good luck, watch that bumper!

Slowcoach

Old 08-26-2007, 05:35 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

www.lyndalbrakes.com

The Dyna calipers are decent, four piston, systems... put these pads on before you start thinking about dropping big $$$ on different calipers.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Crazy03
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes the front brakes are shitty, they suck and no matter what people say they are probly the worst brakes I have used in my riding life. I am doing the dual disk front brake system, with Vrod lower legs, I have a guy here in oakland Valifornia who has done it to his bike and says it is tremendous how much of a difference it is. I am using the same brakes that come on the vrods and new 08 touring bikes. They are brembo 4-piston uints. Ill let you know how the build goes I have heard of the pads the other guys is talking about but I doubt and have heard from people that have it, it doesn't make that much of a difference..

Old 08-26-2007, 09:04 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Was thinking the same thing, was running 85mph on I-45 north. The cars in front of me stopped real fast and I grabbed the front and back brakes and was sliding for a moment with both brakes locked up. Then as fast as it happened everybody got back on the gas.
I agree they don't feel real good. but grab them real fast and try to stop. The front is 75& of the stopping power too.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Softy
Road Master

Lyndal brake pads. Also make sure your lines are in good condition.They can deteirorate over time.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:18 PM
madelf
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, I think there's something wrong with your brakes (other than the design). Either that or something wrong with your head. Or maybe both.

Locking the front wheel... Man, you're nuts if you want to flirt with that. Personally I don't ever want to feel that sensation again. I kept the bike up the time it happened because it was a tiny little bike and I was going fairly slow (heavy rain), so I could just put my feet down and manhandle the bike upright. I doubt anyone is going to lock the front wheel of a Dyna without kissing pavement.

Not being able to hold the bike on an uphill climb... that's the only part that makes me think it's not all in your head. I've got afairly steep driveway, on gravel,and I can easily hold the bike in place with the front brake (and yes, even with one finger), while balancing the throttle and clutch to get moving. If your bike is rolling back with the brake on, something is seriously out of whack. (If it's an issue of having no gripping strength in your hands, try trigger-style grips. My wife put them on her Low Rider and it made the brakes touchy as heck, for my taste)

And for stopping without hitting the car in front of you...if you can't do that when not riding up their @$$ (and if you're tailgating I don't feel sorry for you anyway) then something is defintely not functioning properly. It won't brake like a sportbike, but if you can't drop the anchor on thatDyna faster thanmost of thecars on the road, there's definitely something screwy.

People who have more experience or have ridden more bikes for comparison can feel free to tell me how full of it I am, but that's my two cents worth.

Quick Reply: POOR FRONT BRAKE