Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Windshield - Wow - pictures update

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:28 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Windshield - Wow - pictures update

I have been looking for a removeable windshield for my 2005 Wide Glide for some time... yes, they have always been out there, but I had criteria...... 1.It was notleave hardware behind when removed. 2. It had to actually fit my front end, which had been totally replaced with non stock parts. 3. not gigantic, but large enough to be effective

HD finally came out with the quick release model for pre '06 Wide Glides this year - 57199-05 ... This was exactly what I have been looking for... compact, doesn't leave hardware behind, and simply clamps to my stock fork tubes (the only thing left on my front that is stock... besids the fender).
Not cheap at $415 MSRP, I was able to pick it up from Zanotti's for $335, plus no tax since it was an out to state purchase. I went ahead and ordered it a couple weeks ago, and due to it being backordered, I just got it two days ago.

I've ridden to work twice now with it on, and all I can say is "wow". I have spent a lot of time, effort, and money, getting my bike to ride well and the last thing I was struggling with is that the wind when at highway speeds would beat the crap out of me. I've done a few 400+ mile days, and by the end of those days, I am brutalized.
Though I have not done big miles yet (labor day weend I will be), the difference while doing 70 is unbelivable... I am actually not hanging on for dear life, the wiggle in the front end from my body getting blown around (subsequently moving the bars) is gone... I don't know if I will ever take the thing off!

I feared I might suffer from the dreaded buffering or buffeting syndrome so many people talk about with windshields, and was right... there is buffeting. Yesterday I ordered a Laminar Lip and should receive it today or tomorrow... I am sure it will make a difference, I have only heard good things about the product (www.laminarlip.com).
I'll let you all know how that works out.

Labor day weekend will be our first mulit day trip with the bike. Though none of the days will be 400 milers, I am still looking forward to going out for a few days without getting beaten to death.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Travlinman314
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Windshield - Wow

Yes, let us know how that Laminar Lip works out.
I like my windshield for city highway use, too many things flying around the road in good ol' Philthydelphia. But when I come home, it's nice to take it off in less than 30 seconds for country riding.
But I too have the buffeting problem when I hit speeds over 55 mph, but it seems most of this is coming from below.
Very curious how this LIP thing works, and any other suggestions.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:23 AM
bikerdog134
Road Master

i dont have one yet but i understand the tank lift helps

Old 08-24-2007, 11:52 AM
itznin
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

thrillseeker:Can you take some pics of it on your bike? Specifically up close where it mounts to the fork tubes

I imagine for my 06 Low Rider, I would need:

58348-06
Fits '06-later Dyna® models (except FXDWG, FXDF and FXDSE). Windshield dimensions: Overall height 22.8"; height above headlamp 14.3", width 19.5".

Lightly Smoked
MSRP US $364.95

Old 08-24-2007, 11:59 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: itznin

thrillseeker:Can you take some pics of it on your bike? Specifically up close where it mounts to the fork tubes

I imagine for my 06 Low Rider, I would need:

58348-06
Fits '06-later Dyna® models (except FXDWG, FXDF and FXDSE). Windshield dimensions: Overall height 22.8"; height above headlamp 14.3", width 19.5".

Lightly Smoked
MSRP US $364.95
will do. Its actually a pretty slick set up. I already had my turn signals relocated to the forks, using the clamshell type kit from Drag Specialties. One of my concerns was if I would need to put those clamshells below the lower tree to make room for the shield clamps.
Even with the clamshells attached to my fork tubes above the lower tree, there is still about 2" of room left after putting the shield on.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:01 PM
pauletich
Road Master

Would love to see some pics. I like my windshield for the long trips, it does make a difference.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

My Hero???

I have never rode with a windshield before. I figured if I wanted a windshield in front of my face, I'd take my truck. But now I'm in my 30's and singing a different song. I started looking for a shield, but wasn't happy with the results. You my friend, justmentioned everything Iwas looking for.

Is the HD part number the same # you ordered from Zanotti's??? And ditto, a pic or few would be great...

[IMG]local://upfiles/41103/00C5AB7E40484BE3844EDB7CE31E8CFE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-24-2007, 12:11 PM
itznin
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Also can you get an overhead view showing the gap/space between the fork and the shield.

Greately appreciated!

Old 08-24-2007, 12:14 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Baeseman1

My Hero???

I have never rode with a windshield before. I figured if I wanted a windshield in front of my face, I'd take my truck. But now I'm in my 30's and singing a different song. I started looking for a shield, but wasn't happy with the results. You my friend, justmentioned everything Iwas looking for.

Is the HD part number the same # you ordered from Zanotti's??? And ditto, a pic or few would be great...
Yes, when you order from Zanotti's, you use real HD part numbers. Just make sure you are ordering correctly based on your bike and year... there are several choices. If you search the HD site using my part number, then click Dyna, you will get numerous part numbers for each of the year/models (different year Wide Glides have different fork tube diameters for example, so you want to make sure you are getting the right unit)

I'll take some pics tonight when I get home

edit: I just noticed you have an '05 WG, so you would use the same exact part number.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:22 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: itznin

Also can you get an overhead view showing the gap/space between the fork and the shield.

Greately appreciated!
yep. I can tell you now there is a fair amount of room. I have a handlbar mounted tach that I was also concerned about, bu there are several inches of clearance. If I decide to kick out the lower part of the shield to create more angle, there will be plenty of room to do so.

Quick Reply: New Windshield - Wow - pictures update