Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Windshield - Wow - pictures update

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 12:26 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: New Windshield - Wow

57199-05 appears to be for the compact quick-release windshield. Is that true?

A friend of mine bought the compact windshield, took it back and got the larger windshield because the compact windshield directed the wind over top of the windshield and into his face. Do you have this happening? If not, did you do any tweaking to avoid it or does your height allow you to be covered by the compact windshield?

Old 08-24-2007, 12:30 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wyde Glyde Bry

A friend of mine bought the compact windshield, took it back and got the larger windshield because the compact windshield directed the wind over top of the windshield and into his face. Do you have this happening? If not, did you do any tweaking to avoid it or does your height allow you to be covered by the compact windshield?
That would be the wind buffeting or buffering I was talking about. This is a lower windsheild, but I didn't want to look through the shield, I wanted to make sure I was looking over it. ... so, yeah, the wind does create a weird cyclone affect around your head and is odd. Up to 60 is tolerable, but I wouldn't want to do 70 all day on the highway.
I will have the "Lip" installed tonight, be allowing it to "cure" tomorrow and Sunday (I have to work), and will test drive it Monday.... with a full report of course.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:40 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn. I like the look of the compact windshield much better than the larger ones. But if I buy one I also want it to be functional.

I'm hopingto find a windshield where the edge of the top lip is barely below my eye level. That way the air is funneled just over my head, but I'll still be somewhat looking overtop the windshield.

If you don't mind all of these questions, how tall are you, and where abouts would you say is the top edge of compact windshield sits? Chest? Shoulders? Adams Apple? Chin?

Can't wait for your pics and test drive. Thanks.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Travlinman314
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the "Quick-Release Detachable Compact Windshield", model # 58346-06 for my '07' FXD.

I'm 5' 11", whenI set it up to look through the windhield the buffeting starts at about 45 mph, while if I set it at it's lowest, looking over the windshield,(nose level) 55 mph before the head starts shaking.

I am by no means an aerodynamic engineer, but go figure, I lower the windshield and I get a little less buffeting.

Any ideas?

Old 08-24-2007, 02:50 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

I'm 6' 2" and I'd say the its about to the top of my chest.

From what I have read over the years, even with a windsheild where its above your face (so you are looking through it to drive), the buffering issue is still a problem.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: itznin

thrillseeker:Can you take some pics of it on your bike? Specifically up close where it mounts to the fork tubes

I imagine for my 06 Low Rider, I would need:

58348-06
Fits '06-later Dyna® models (except FXDWG, FXDF and FXDSE). Windshield dimensions: Overall height 22.8"; height above headlamp 14.3", width 19.5".

Lightly Smoked
MSRP US $364.95
I have the lightly smoked low profile on my SB with a 2" tank lift and I really like it. I avoided them for over 50 years and now I know what I've been missing.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wyde Glyde Bry

The compact windshield isn't the size regarding height. It's the model. It comes in standard height and low profile which is approx 3" lower. I have the Compact Low profile on my SB and love it, but I'm only 5'8" and it's perfect for me. I look over it and it's great. I've had it up to 85 on interstate and I wasn't all beat up at my destination. Wind direction, speed and shifting winds can cause some problems but a lot less than without a w/s.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:06 PM
rainman1977
Advanced

I also have an 05 wide glide and liked the look so much, I would not put a wind shield on.
Finally broke down and got a removable HD shield because I was tired of my finger tips going numb from holding on. Holy smokes!!! What a difference. I will never take that thing off. Plenty of wind in my face, but the chest and body ride for free. I can ride three times as far and feel better when I get off.

RM

Old 08-24-2007, 07:34 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

After sitting on the bike thinking of height and where it lined up with my body, its to the top of my chest, or bottom of my chin... at 6' 2"

Here are some pics. Sorry for the weird blur effect, somthing is wrong with my camera...

Front Shot

Side Shot

Close up of clamps

Another of clamps

Sitting shot

Space between bars and shield

Another space shot - weird angle, huh?

Hope this helps out.

I'll post pics of the Laminar Lip once I get it on.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:21 AM
28gauge
Cruiser

I put the HD Touring Model with the removable clamps on my 07 FXDC. It seems to work just fine. I'm 5'10" and the top of the shield is eye level soI can look over it. I've heard those clamps tend to break, I like the old docking hardware better. I think on and off frequently would surely loosen them up; mine stays on.

Quick Reply: New Windshield - Wow - pictures update