Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fxdx pulley bolts snapped

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2023, 07:12 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
WOW, It appears once the bolts were loose or just the torque action of the assembly of the wheel and pulley was so great loosing them that it stripped out the 12 point hex in the locking plate.

Lock wire would not have prevented them from loosing. Although wireing does show some evidence of keeping a bolt tight, it's more to prevent a loose bolt from falling out.
Run that line of bullshit pass an aircraft mechanic and see how long it take him to stop choking laughing at you.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 07:29 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,957 Likes on 4,033 Posts

I have always wondered how a professional Harley mechanic checks Loctite on critical fasteners.

I would just use a center punch at the center of the hex flat of one bolt on each outboard faces marking the wheel and hex flat. If there is a washer, it to same way.

Easy, see if it can be tightened.. If so remove the bolt clean the hole and re-loctite. In the case of a pulley also check if the pulley is loose. When it comes to rear pulley bolts, it's extra work over a service..

Old 07-08-2023, 08:35 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,206 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
This. Been using it for years.

Old 07-08-2023, 11:41 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,014 Likes on 603 Posts

Your saying the 7/16 (.437 ) threaded factory bolts have a unthreaded shoulder area that is .389.

That would be a bolt with a rolled thread rather then a cut thread.

Tapped holes are produced in that way too in some materials. The tap drilled hole is cut larger then a normal tapped hole.

Usually this is only done in low grade material. That swagging action of the forming increases the strength but not anywhere near class 8.

It appears the original posters bolts are rolled threads with.437 bodies.
Only the thread area was made smaller for the rolling process. Note the increase in size at the end of thread. That small area is were the thread rolling process didn't swage up the material.

The company that made the locking plate shows class 5 bolts. Not class 8 as required by Harley. There really the ones in fault here for saleing something that doesn't do what it claims.

However they still had to get loose and let pulley and bolts come out bending and breaking them.

No Loctite was used and the torque was juggled to align locking plate.

However, obliviously, the 5 locking plate bolts must have fell out also .
Never has been determined if that bolt is just a very short bolt in the two part locking plate or was wheel drilled and tapped by the mechanic.

​​​​​I guess your CAD sketch is from ARP bolt company?

https://arp-bolts.com/
Your saying the 7/16 (.437 ) threaded factory bolts have a unthreaded shoulder area that is .389.
Yes that is exactly what I am saying.

And No the CAM drawing is my Geometry. Not ARP

Also if safty wire is installed correctly it Will keep the fastener tight and correctly torqued!

Last edited by Blue Bob; 07-08-2023 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2023, 12:18 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blue Bob

Yes that is exactly what I am saying.

And No the CAM drawing is my Geometry. Not ARP

Also if safty wire is installed correctly it Will keep the fastener tight and correctly torqued!
The OPs broken bolts look like they are 7/16 and not necked down. The one I show is not necked down.

Saftey wire won't help if the foundation is allowed to collapse. Do you think that the OPs bolts unscrewed themselves?

Old 07-09-2023, 09:04 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,835 Likes on 19,328 Posts

So the locking plate is actually a two piece fixture ... The base plate ( inner ) is secured buy the pulley bolts, torqued then the heads are orientated with the outer plate ... Then the outer plate bolts are installed ... There is a whole lot going on here that puts it in the "We can't see the forest for the trees" ... Very difficult to understand why this is a recurring problem ... I'm staying tuned

WP50 (07-09-2023)
Old 07-09-2023, 09:46 AM
NYCFXDX13
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

So after asking a lot of people I’ve noticed a trend guys who switched to chain and spocket rather than pulley and belt aren’t having these problems. Are they lucky or theirs proof that switching might be a better option than putting another pulley on bike.

Old 07-09-2023, 09:54 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
So the locking plate is actually a two piece fixture ... The base plate ( inner ) is secured buy the pulley bolts, torqued then the heads are orientated with the outer plate ... Then the outer plate bolts are installed ... There is a whole lot going on here that puts it in the "We can't see the forest for the trees" ... Very difficult to understand why this is a recurring problem ... I'm staying tuned
If you want to build a house that lasts, you need to start with a good foundation.

Old 07-09-2023, 10:00 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,835 Likes on 19,328 Posts

No doubt ... So your explanation is the inherent design of the wheel, pulley, fasteners, service procedure, inept mechanics ? ... It appears as though this doesn't happen until it has been serviced, correct? ... What is puzzling is that it can get so bad before someone realizes it's happened ... You'd think that there would be a serious racket, vibration etc

WP50 (07-09-2023)
Old 07-09-2023, 10:15 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NYCFXDX13
So after asking a lot of people I’ve noticed a trend guys who switched to chain and spocket rather than pulley and belt aren’t having these problems. Are they lucky or theirs proof that switching might be a better option than putting another pulley on bike.
My FXDX is over 65000 miles on it. At 7500 it was made into a high compression 95 that made over 100/100. At 22500 it became a 116 that made about 125/130. Up to about 27000 I ran the stock belt and had changed wheels from stock mags to black PCed rim /ss spoke wire wheels. Had the pulley off a few times, never had an issue. Had the bike at the strip a number of times..

Out of concern for snapping a belt, I changed over to chain at about 27000. I've had zero issues with that. 44000, I went to a 180/55-18 rear tire. One thing I did when going to chain was add an support bearing to the sprocket. No problems with it either.

I would question how you got to this place in the first place. Why was the plate installed? What other work was done to the bike leading up to the failure?
This does seem to be more of an issue with later Dynas and not the early ones. I suspect that this is because they added more offset to the pulley to clear a fatter tire..

Here is the current setup on my DX. It has an outboard bearing.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 07-09-2023 at 10:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Fxdx pulley bolts snapped