Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fxdx pulley bolts snapped

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 02:40 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 871 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Would the dealer have to if the OP specifically had them install the locking plate? Maybe yes, if dealer recommended the plate.
Unless they said "no warranty if you use this thing" I'd still try very hard to hold them accountable. At least they can't say the bolts backed out.

Old 07-07-2023, 02:59 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCFXDX13
Turns out I need new swing arm , rear rim , pulley and sprocket. Anyone have any parts for sale let me know thanks
And it's all on you ????

SMH WP

Old 07-07-2023, 07:35 PM
NYCFXDX13
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WP50
And it's all on you ????

SMH WP
well I called the dealer Who did the work and told them what happened their response was “it happens”. Imagine that they said it happens. Just waiting for new dealership that’s working on it to pull bolts out of rim to see if theirs lock tite and to see if their is any other neglect. I found all the parts today I got lucky. Thanks for everyone for the help.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (07-08-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 07:41 PM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 560 Likes on 391 Posts

Turns out I need new swing arm , rear rim , pulley and sprocket. Anyone have any parts for sale let me know thanks
Check out craigslist.org, motorcycles or motorcycles parts, expand your location radius, fill out search info and look for a cheap Harley you can get those parts off of. Be very wary of scams!

edit; Saw you found the parts. Good luck.

Last edited by robarosa; 07-07-2023 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2023, 01:06 AM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,014 Likes on 603 Posts

Bush the pulley bolt holes which are way too big / Use longer ARP bolts with shoulders that extend into the hub counter bores which should not be there / safety wire the bolts. Done.

Last edited by Blue Bob; 07-08-2023 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-08-2023, 04:11 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,971 Likes on 4,163 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Bob
Bush the pulley bolt holes which are way too big / Use longer ARP bolts with shoulders that extend into the hub counter bores which should not be there / safety wire the bolts. Done.

Your saying the 7/16 (.437 ) threaded factory bolts have a unthreaded shoulder area that is .389.

That would be a bolt with a rolled thread rather then a cut thread.

Tapped holes are produced in that way too in some materials. The tap drilled hole is cut larger then a normal tapped hole.

Usually this is only done in low grade material. That swagging action of the forming increases the strength but not anywhere near class 8.

It appears the original posters bolts are rolled threads with.437 bodies.
Only the thread area was made smaller for the rolling process. Note the increase in size at the end of thread. That small area is were the thread rolling process didn't swage up the material.

The company that made the locking plate shows class 5 bolts. Not class 8 as required by Harley. There really the ones in fault here for saleing something that doesn't do what it claims.

However they still had to get loose and let pulley and bolts come out bending and breaking them.

No Loctite was used and the torque was juggled to align locking plate.

However, obliviously, the 5 locking plate bolts must have fell out also .
Never has been determined if that bolt is just a very short bolt in the two part locking plate or was wheel drilled and tapped by the mechanic.

​​​​​I guess your CAD sketch is from ARP bolt company?

https://arp-bolts.com/

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-08-2023 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-08-2023, 05:40 AM
NYCFXDX13
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
Your saying the 7/16 (.437 ) threaded factory bolts have a unthreaded shoulder area that is .389.

That would be a bolt with a rolled thread rather then a cut thread.

Tapped holes are produced in that way too in some materials. The tap drilled hole is cut larger then a normal tapped hole.

Usually this is only done in low grade material. That swagging action of the forming increases the strength but not anywhere near class 8.

It appears the original posters bolts are cut threads with.437 bodies but the company that made the locking plate shows class 5 bolts. Not class 8 as required by Harley.

However they still had to get loose and let pulley and bolts come out bending and breaking them.

No Loctite was used and the torque was juggled to align locking plate.

However, obliviously, the 5 locking plate bolts must have fell out also .
Never has been determined if that bolt is just a very short bolt in the two part locking plate or was wheel drilled and tapped by the mechanic.

​​​​​I guess your CAD sketch is from ARP bolt company?

https://arp-bolts.com/
yea the locking plate holds together by its self with little bolts actually the whole thing came loose not even breaking the plate apart. I like what you said I think for them to get the plate to match up torque specs werent met maybe more maybe less to get them to all match up.

Old 07-08-2023, 05:49 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Male threads that are produced by a rolling head with rollers with the thread form on them. No picture.

But we have produced one high volume contract that required it to spec in soft material. Interesting enough, it was a pain controlling the required 3B fit. Speed and hole size affected it.

Typical cutting coarse thread tap and a fine thread forming tap. The forming tap produces no chips. The groove is for lubrication only.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-08-2023 at 05:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rusty Springs (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 06:06 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

yea the locking plate holds together by its self with little bolts actually the whole thing came loose not even breaking the plate apart. I like what you said I think for them to get the plate to match up torque specs werent met maybe more maybe less to get them to all match up.
WOW, It appears once the bolts were loose or just the torque action of the assembly of the wheel and pulley was so great loosing them that it stripped out the 12 point hex in the locking plate.

Lock wire would not have prevented them from loosing. Although wireing does show some evidence of keeping a bolt tight, it's more to prevent a loose bolt from falling out.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-08-2023 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:35 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,832 Likes on 19,326 Posts

"Lock wire would not have prevented them from loosing. Although wiring does show some evidence of keeping a bolt tight, it's more to prevent a loose bolt from falling out"

While I don't have a definitive answer as to a permanent solution to the problem, safety wire properly installed would at least shoe evidence of a bolt loosening by the safety wire being broken as fastener loosens

Quick Reply: Fxdx pulley bolts snapped