Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BELT TENSION

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:12 AM
Spanish Flyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BELT TENSION

I get the feeling the belt on my final drive is far too tight, but since it is my first belt driven bike I have, I really don't know. The owners manual states 5/16-3/8ths, (I'm 100% metric, so the figures Iunderstand betterare between 7.9 and 9.5 mm...). Anyway, right now and pushing hard with my finger it is more like 5 mm; looking at the notches on the lower belt protection casing it is below the lowest and pushing it it moves less than the distance between two notches. It feels too tight, but again, it is not a chain...
Please check: http://imageevent.com/wforest/dynasuperglidecustom pics 30 & 31

Old 08-22-2007, 05:44 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: BELT TENSION

I'd loosen it a little bit.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:54 AM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By your pictures, you're only getting about 3mm deflection. Those notches are 1/8" apart. You really should get the tension gauge, it's hard to judge 10 pounds of force with your finger and 10 pounds isn't much. The belt on my FXDC was pretty tight when I got it as well.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:02 AM
Spanish Flyer
Tourer

Thanks I'm starting to get the feeling that it is really too tight. As a bike mechanic in my early ages I do remember that the tension should be taken with the bike upright and sitting on it, but as I said before, it is my first belt driven.. let's wait for a few more answers before I take any action. Thanks again

Old 08-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Twisted Humor
Road Master

What is the possible damage if it is too tight?

Old 08-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Probably burn out the bearings...

Old 08-22-2007, 07:43 AM
Spanish Flyer
Tourer

And wear the belt pretty fast. Another issue is the vibration a too tense belt creates on the equipment.... I'm a pulp and paper machine mechanic and I know some about electric motors linked by "V" belts to pumps and other devices; they vibrate like mad when you change the speed if they are too tight.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:09 AM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just an FYI Flyer, the belt deflection specs in the 07 Dyna service manual have changed from what they used to be.It lists one deflection range with the bike on the jiffy stand without weight on it and another range for the rear tire being off the ground.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Spanish Flyer
Tourer

Thank you Murphdog, checking once more, the figures are 1/4 to 5/6 (I was reading the figures for the FXDWG). Still, the FXDC figures are bigger than what I have; I'm reading almost 5 mm and it should be 6.4-7.9 mm (1/4-5/16)... I have done 400 miles; Is that correct or should I adjust it to the correct gap?
BR,
Spanish Flyer

Old 08-22-2007, 12:20 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

Definately get the tension guage and adjust as per the procedure and specs in the manual. My '04 Wide Glide manual states that tension needs to be checked with someone of the same size as the rider sitting on the bike and the bike verticalwhile you use the tension guage to check the belt tension, but obviously your model is different as murphdog pointed out. My belt definately feels tight compared to a chain, so that took a bit of getting used to. My first belt too...

Quick Reply: BELT TENSION