Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BELT TENSION

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: BELT TENSION

Get a tension gauge and a maintainance manual then you will know you are doing everything correctly and to spec.

Bill

Old 08-22-2007, 07:10 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flyer, I believe I would loosen up the belt if I were you. It won't take much, maybe one flat on the adjusting screws should get you in range.
One thing I question is the FXDC belt deflection spec being the same as the FXDL and the FXDB, 1/4-5/16". The FXDC has the same shock length as the FXD and FXDWG, so I'm thinking maybe it should be the same as them, 5/16-3/8". I understand the deflection being less on the FXDL and FXDB as the shocks are shorter thus the swingarm angle is different. It's listed the same in both the owners manual and the service manual, so who knows. It's only 1/16" different. I've alwaysadjusted mine on the loose side of the spec, it gets really tight after you ride and it gets hot.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:23 PM
squeeech
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

G'day,
I know this sounds a little dodgy.....but......... with the lower gaurd in place and pushing up "pretty hard" i checked heaps of new bikes and found that the belt always moved from the very bottom of the "slot" to exactly half way up. I know this ain't to professional, but generally it gets things very close, in fact doing the adjustment this way and then using a friend's gauge I was almost spot on..... which makes ya feel pretty good..... oh yeah, that was resting on the side stand .
Strangely, it felt onlyslightly tighter than a chain would be set.

Graham. (06 dyna)

Old 08-22-2007, 08:19 PM
carmencip
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I borrowed thetension gauge from a friend and applied the 10 lbs of force per the service manual. I then visually noted the amount of deflection on the graduated scale. Next I used my thumband applied the amount of presure to raise the belt to the same mark as I did with the tension gauge. I was very surprised at how much force it took with my thumb from directlyunder the belt to raise the belt to the same mark. From looking at your photo, you raised it with your forefinger from the side. I would bet you have not applied nearly the required upward force. I always felt most guys are running with the belt too loose. Just my observations.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:48 AM
kensim
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u know what happens when it is to tight, it snaps i learnt the hard way.and there not cheap,better to be slighty loose i reckon.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:16 AM
Spanish Flyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks you guys. I've made up my mind, specially after what Kensim titti..(what the hell was I thinking of)...said about snapping the belt. Will adjust on the side stand to the specs on the manual..
Better safe than sorry.