Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration.........HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:08 PM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Vibration.........HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know this is going to sound crazy, but the chattering sound would worry me.

Try duplicating the problem while parked. Have somone rev the bike and take a ~2ft length of pvc or other pipe and touch the engine with one end and have your ear in the other end. You should be able to use this as a makeshift "stethiscope" to isolate the chatter. I used to wrench a time or 2 and this will get you in the ball park.

I know some have complained of loose parts in the primary area.

UW

Old 08-20-2007, 11:34 PM
SteelPins
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I'm new to this great forum and this is my first post. I got a new used (6,000 mi)'07 FXD this spring and it too exibits the 'chatter/vibration' when coming to a stop. To me, it seems like it's sort of coming from the front of the bike, like maybe the engine shaking in its mounts. The bike runs great otherwise, smooth and powerful.

Because this is my first Harley, I don't know if this is normal or not.

Someone in this forum suggested that the engine mounts should be torqued/tightened to spec by 10,000 miles which I intend to do to see if this gets rid of this 'chatter/vibration/shake'. Somehow, instictively, I am feeling that maybe the engine is sending a resonance through to the front end and that maybe the forks and front fender are vibrating.

Happy Motoring!

Steel Pins

Old 08-21-2007, 12:13 AM
darkdyna06
Tourer

Had the same problem, it was the steering head bearings. have them tighten them up, and grease them and the problem should go away.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:21 AM
cravenc
Advanced

Steel Pins,
It seems we have the same problem. I checked all of the motor mounts last night and found nothing loose or visually wrong. I cant get to the top mount without unbolting the tank. I am going to try to check the steering head tonight as stated by darkdyna06. If the bike just had the normal vibs I wouldnt care but it is more of a chatter/shack than vib. It seems if the bike is not broke down on the highway somewhere thestealer acts like it is not a problem...........

Old 08-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Stanger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on vibrations on the here at the dyna site and you will find that there have been many an idea for the fix and some of us have actually fixed our problem one way or another. Note: just looking at your motor mounts does not mean they are not bad, trust me on this, first hand experience.
Good luck.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:07 AM
SteelPins
Stage II

cravenc,
I think perhaps darkdyna06 may be on the money by telling us to have the steering head bearings tightened up and lubed. That, combined with tighteneing the motor mounts to spec may solve our problem.

Do you sometimes feel like your bike wants to 'wander' a bit at say 50 mph or feel a bit uneasy on some low speedturns? I'm getting that and maybe its related to the steering head just being that tiny bit loose.

I had a buddy try to move the front wheel while I held on the front brake, but I could feel no movement in the steering head at all. Whatever it is, it is probably just a minor tightening down that is needed.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:08 AM
pauletich
Road Master

Dyna's vibrate, but it seems this is more then the average. Identify where it is coming from, motor mounts or such. Once you can do this I think help is just the forum away.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:33 PM
cravenc
Advanced

Called the stealer to see if they have seen any other cases like mine and they said no. They told me to bring it in and they would ride it. I keep everyone posted.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:43 PM
grueter
Intermediate

Stanger How do you tell if any of the mounts are bad? Does the service manual tell you how.Thanks for any help

Old 08-22-2007, 02:25 AM
bikecop40
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this to isolate you search for the problem Get your bike up to normal temp, when you come up to a stop (with clutch lever pulled in) hit the kill switch and see if the viberation is present as you come to a coast. and do you notice a big differance when you are riding 2 up (is the viberation more noticeable with 2up. As for me, I went through all the BS with the dealers within 60miles and the dealer I bought mine from won't get another cent of mine. I ended taling my 07 FXD to an indy he used the above method to find my problem $80 well spent, then I went back to the dumb *** dealer to get the warranty work done to fix the problem. I think that HD will soon be doing a recall on the 07 Dyna for the motor mount areas that is causing all the concern.
P.S. When the indy come back from the test ride his remark to me was "that is definetly not a normal vibration" within the hour he had the problem pin pointed.

Anyway, just my .02 worth
Good Luck
D/C

Quick Reply: Vibration.........HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!