Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S Quickee Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 01:23 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by snake_eyes
I'm going to add a 2nd question here and hopefully someone will see it.

For you guys that have installed the S&S Quickee tubes, how did you get the locking tab in without scraping the **** out of the slip collar? I tried using a plastic trim remover, but the spring tension is so high that it wouldn't work and using a flat head was a mess. Once the lifters show up, I'm going to try and apply some electrical tape to the collar to see if I can protect it but advice is appreciated.
I always used stock tubes and never had a problem getting the retainers to snap in place with my hands, but I've read of people putting electrical tape on a flat head screwdriver and using the fins on the cylinder for leverage. Not sure how the S&S tubes differ so this may not help you...

The following 2 users liked this post by Mchad:
brownie4412 (01-05-2023), snake_eyes (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 01:26 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,246 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by brownie4412
I have one of the motion pro pushrod tube tools and it is the bees knees. However a long flat head screwgie against the cylinder fins then pushing down on the collar with the other end ( think fulcrum ) works well also. Just wrap the tip in electrical tape or something so you don't scratch anything.

Where do you live? I'll send my pliers to you so you can use them if you want. Just pay the shipping.... I think a new set is around $50... it might be worth it, it might not but it's an option.
The biggest problem is that I have gloss black tubes and collars and the finish is thin. That Motion Pro tool is just what I need! Thanks for that my friend!

Old 01-04-2023, 01:27 PM
Mchad
Club Member

I have one of the motion pro pushrod tube tools and it is the bees knees. However a long flat head screwgie against the cylinder fins then pushing down on the collar with the other end ( think fulcrum ) works well also. Just wrap the tip in electrical tape or something so you don't scratch anything.

I was at a buddies house once when he was doing a cam swap and he used one of those spanner wrenches that comes with a Metabo to push down on the collar and slide the clips in. I was laughing the whole time but it worked lol.

Where do you live? I'll send my pliers to you so you can use them if you want. Just pay the shipping.... I think a new set is around $50... it might be worth it, it might not but it's an option.
you beat me to it... again!

Old 01-04-2023, 01:39 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,246 Likes on 730 Posts

I was at a buddies house once when he was doing a cam swap and he used one of those spanner wrenches that comes with a Metabo to push down on the collar and slide the clips in. I was laughing the whole time but it worked lol.

Hey man, I really appreciate the offer. I already ordered one before I saw the rest of your post. That's okay though, I don't mind picking up tools like that since I hope to be doing more engine work as a side gig one day.

Take care!

Old 01-04-2023, 01:52 PM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,650 Likes on 1,059 Posts

If you end up with a small mark where the black came off, try using a black Sharpie to cover the area. It works fairly well on a very small area. Large damage may require a new tube

Paul

The following users liked this post:
snake_eyes (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 01:56 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Since we're talking tools, @brownie4412 what ring compressor do you use? I'm going to work on my Road King and the chinese-azon kit I bought when I did my FXR is crap and I want to get a decent kit for my M8...

Old 01-04-2023, 02:46 PM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,032 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Since we're talking tools, @brownie4412 what ring compressor do you use? I'm going to work on my Road King and the chinese-azon kit I bought when I did my FXR is crap and I want to get a decent kit for my M8...

I used a tapered compressor.

Look up Head Hoggers in Cullman, Al. They have these in all different sizes. When I talked to him he said he would make me a pretty good deal if I wanted a set.

I didn’t take a picture when installing my new cylinders so I just slapped the compressor on my old set so you can get a visual. It makes life so much easier. Just push it on until the groove hits the spigot and slide it on over the piston. Done.

Mchad (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 03:22 PM
Mchad
Club Member

I used a tapered compressor.

Look up Head Hoggers in Cullman, Al. They have these in all different sizes. When I talked to him he said he would make me a pretty good deal if I wanted a set.

I didn’t take a picture when installing my new cylinders so I just slapped the compressor on my old set so you can get a visual. It makes life so much easier. Just push it on until the groove hits the spigot and slide it on over the piston. Done.
Oh that's pretty cool. I was looking at tapered-sized ones but the ones I saw were one piece - i.e. no slot to get them around the rods. They don't show 4.250 for my soon to be 124 M8 pistons on their online store though. I'll give them a call to see. THANKS!

Old 01-04-2023, 03:23 PM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team
Received 517 Likes on 187 Posts

I bought the 4" bore from Head Hoggers on brownie4412's recommendation. It fits the cylinder very nice and looks like it will work great when I do my install this weekend.
If they show unavailable on their site, give them a call they are great people. They are having website problems. I ordered one day and received it 3 days later.

Last edited by NEWROADSTER; 01-04-2023 at 03:25 PM.
Mchad (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 03:30 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by NEWROADSTER
I bought the 4" bore from Head Hoggers on brownie4412's recommendation. It fits the cylinder very nice and looks like it will work great when I do my install this weekend.
If they show unavailable on their site, give them a call they are great people. They are having website problems. I ordered one day and received it 3 days later.
I submitted a contact form. I'm in no rush, just starting to gather parts now. If I don't hear back from them in a couple days I'll give a call Thanks!

Quick Reply: S&S Quickee Adjustment