Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearing Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 02:11 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 741 Likes on 410 Posts

I'm going to link a couple older threads here for anyone that's stumbled on this one looking for wheel bearing info.

This one is where I discovered that the instructions with my Pit Posse kit were wrong, and that it does in fact matter which bearing is installed first:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-bearings.html

More discussion on bearings and installation:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/wheel...ientation.html

The following users liked this post:
BrandonSmith (11-27-2023)
Old 12-06-2022, 02:35 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Reindeer
I'm going to link a couple older threads here for anyone that's stumbled on this one looking for wheel bearing info.

This one is where I discovered that the instructions with my Pit Posse kit were wrong, and that it does in fact matter which bearing is installed first:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-bearings.html

More discussion on bearings and installation:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/wheel...ientation.html
Good stuff, thanks for that!

Old 12-06-2022, 03:05 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,408 Likes on 5,010 Posts

Forget the word primary when it comes to wheel bearings, the word should have never been used in this context.

First bearing to install is the disk rotor side, if dual disk, the first bearing is installed on left side, it is pressed into the hub until the outer race contacts the lip inside the hub.

The second bearing is installed using a pusher detail that pushes the outer and inner race at the same time, it will stop when the inner race contacts the inner spacer.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 12-06-2022 at 03:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
BrandonSmith (01-07-2024), Max Headflow (12-07-2022), Reindeer (12-06-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 08:34 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Forget the word primary when it comes to wheel bearings, the word should have never been used in this context.

First bearing to install is the disk rotor side, if dual disk, the first bearing is installed on left side, it is pressed into the hub until the outer race contacts the lip inside the hub.

The second bearing is installed using a pusher detail that pushes the outer and inner race at the same time, it will stop when the inner race contacts the inner spacer.
Nice, succinct description, just what I was looking for. I disagree with using the word Primary though. That's how the MoCo refers to it and I'd rather know the terminology than try to ignore it. I'm by no means trying to insinuate that I'm smarter somehow, but it's interesting that when I heard Primary side of the wheel, the primary drive of the engine NEVER crossed my mind. My question was what makes one side of the wheel Primary over the other? And the simple answer is, the side that has its bearing installed first. The Primary side is the side with the HD DOT markings, and I've heard 3 marks on the hub (can't confirm that one) and I just learned, the side with the shallower bearing spacing in the hub.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:38 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

The first bearing side has a lip inside the hub that the bearing outer race seats against.

The factory`s use of the word primary in this context was just plain dumb.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 12-07-2022 at 08:40 AM.
Reindeer (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 04:32 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member

The first bearing side has a lip inside the hub that the bearing outer race seats against.

The factory`s use of the word primary in this context was just plain dumb.
You seem to feel pretty strongly about this. So, what should have Harley called it?

Old 12-10-2022, 10:39 AM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 346 Posts

Just fyi for next time. Brocks has a great selection of quality wheel bearings in any flavor you want. Ive been using Ceramic sets in both my bagger and LRS. Spendy, but one and done.

I just grabbed a OTC kit installer / puller, but honestly I just use the puller and use my press to install em.

They're pretty basic, don't sweat it, despite HDs silly way of setting the second bearing....

Old 12-10-2022, 10:44 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,433 Likes on 3,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Highwaymans
Just fyi for next time. Brocks has a great selection of quality wheel bearings in any flavor you want. Ive been using Ceramic sets in both my bagger and LRS. Spendy, but one and done.

I just grabbed a OTC kit installer / puller, but honestly I just use the puller and use my press to install em.

They're pretty basic, don't sweat it, despite HDs silly way of setting the second bearing....
Do you have a link?

Old 12-10-2022, 11:23 AM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Do you have a link?
He makes some great stuff. I use him for alot of stuff on my HDs, ZH2 and B King builds.

https://brocksperformance.com/v-twin...heel-bearings/

Last edited by Highwaymans; 12-10-2022 at 11:26 AM.
Rollbar (02-19-2024)
Old 12-10-2022, 11:26 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Highwaymans
despite HDs silly way of setting the second bearing....
What is silly about the process?

This is how sealed wheel bearings have been installed on motorcycles for well over 50 years.

Using the proper pusher setup for the second bearing eliminates the chance of cross loading the bearing.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 12-10-2022 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing Recommendations