Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chrome primary and plug

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:03 AM
bikerRN
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chrome primary and plug

I replaced my stock aluminum primary with the chrome one from HD and have a question. My bike had forward controls put on at the dealer before I took delivery so it has a plug in the primary for the original shifter. When I ordered my chrome one I asked if the one for the wide glide would fit and was told no. They said there was some type of rod that needed to fit in the hole and therefore I had to use the one for the FXD. Anyway, that was wrong as I found out and I could have used the WG cover. But now I can't get the plug to work. The original cover had a sleeve pressed in that the plug snaps into, the chrome one does not. I plan to just very cautiouslyepoxy it in place. Anyone forsee a problem? I should have rigged something up while the cover was off, but I didn't and I hate to take it all back off. Thanks

Old 08-18-2007, 10:10 AM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: chrome primary and plug

Seeing as how the dealer was wrong and doesn't know their product; I say they should let you exchange it for the WG cover. You may want to look into that before you start glueing things to a $300 part.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Trotter
Banned

Take it off and return it for the WG cover.. You can use a 9mm freeze plugin the hole on the inner primary cover so oil dosent come out the back.. There thesame price and work just fine, and look better without the button dealie sticking out. I just used the same one on my softail.. there the same.. 88 or 96 FXDB,FXST,FXDWG,

[IMG]local://upfiles/24219/118D4378444B4B3BB24C45EC452643AC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-18-2007, 05:26 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

I didn't think it was possible for any oil to come out the inner primary side Trotter. I was under the impression it was just a pass through slot for the rod and sealed internally. Would suck if water could get in there considering I sawed my old shifter shaft out.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Trotter
Banned

The hole where the shaft went through is ok if you use the cover I sent you. but the WG outer dosent have the piece the connects to the inner primary, leaving the shaft guide on the inner open.. So I used the freeze pluge to seal it up.. Not thatmuch if anypressue is in there, but water could get in or oil could get thrown out.. Hope this makes .01 hard to explane with out pictures...

Old 08-18-2007, 05:43 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

I got ya. I thought I was ok, but didn't stop to think about what you are saying about that WG cover.

And by the way haven't ya looked at my sig lately? That cover looks sweet on my ride.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Psycho
Road Master

The dealer was correct. As trotter said, without modifications to the inner primary case where the old shift rod went through, the wide glide cover, would indeed allow fluid to leak out the back. The dealer did there job on this one.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:05 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

Psycho is right. What I neglected to think about earlier is that the FXD primaries have a shaft sleeveon the inside of the FXD cover that butts up against the shaft sleeve and an o-ringon the inner primary. This makes for an oil tight through put that won't allow the oil to leak out or anything else to get in. The WG cover does not have this sleeve, therefore stuff could go in and out.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Trotter
Banned

Hang tight andwhen I get someone that wants a chrome Inner Primary, I'll send ya the black Inner primary. Most dont care for the old parts..

Old 08-18-2007, 09:42 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

That would fit real nice with the rocker covers I'm ordering from Zanottis soon......

Quick Reply: chrome primary and plug