Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regulator, Stator, or Battery??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 05:12 PM
aRedGoneBlue
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Regulator, Stator, or Battery??

This morning I pull onto the freeway, you know, rippin'. About to reach my happy place when all of a sudden my 08 Dyna Street Bob kicks back on me like I hit the rev limiter (I was nowhere near that rpm limit) and shuts off. I limp off the highway. The bike won't power on and the speedo needle just pulses. I just put a new battery in last year and had it sitting on a tender all winter. As a hail mary I get a lift to the autoparts store and buy a new one. Started right up and got home no issues. Great. I'm thinking it's a bad stator but hoping not because I don't wanna pull my primary until my compensator goes. I go to unplug my stator and the plug lock is flipped up and the plug seemed awfully loose - at this point I am thinking that was my problem. I run the charging system diagnostic tests anyway... Stator resistance is @ .2 ohms per pin, VAC output is 19 @ idle and 36 @ 2k RPM - all within spec. I'm no electrical pro but I am confident that this means my stator is good. On to the regulator: Brand new battery sits at 13.1v - I start up the bike it goes up to 14.1ish on the multi meter on idle, then to 14.3ish 3600 rpm. My spec should be 14.3 - 14.7v @ 3600 rpm so this seems like my regulator is doing it's job.

Here's where things get weird (at least to me): I plug in my dynojet power vision and set my screen to battery voltage and go for a ride to monitor whether or not my battery is charging. The voltage never gets above 13.9 and hovers between 13.8 - 13.9 dropping on hard accelerations and returning to 13.9 when coasting - but not always following that logic.

So I have 2 questions:
a. Are the live battery voltage readings on the powervision accurate? My multi meter readings are different as explained above.
b. Does this seem like a stator or regulator issue or, assuming the PV readings are inaccurate, just the result of the plug being loose?

Old 07-09-2022, 05:45 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the same readings on my power vision 13.8 -- 14.0
Battery is three years old. Bike is fine.
Every few years I swap out my relays, I had trouble with them in the past.
Hard start and acted weird at times.

Old 07-12-2022, 10:00 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

It could be the tender is killing the battery.

If still have the old battery, charge it. Let it sit overnight out of the bike and check the voltage. If less than 12.7 it needed replace..

If that is OK have it load tested.

The voltage read from PV, comes from the ECU. It may not be as accurate as the DVM..

I would imagine any codes would be lost on the battery switch but if stored in flash, maybe not..