Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bouncing Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 10:37 AM
WdGldDave
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bouncing Engine?

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I recently purchased a 2001 Wide Glide with only 3,300 miles on it. I know the previous owner and am very comfortable with taking this bike off his hands. This guy really takes care of his stuff. I included a picture below.

I've noticed that I feel the motor bouncing in the frame whenever I'm riding slowly on a bumpy road or when I first touch the back brake at a slow speed. It feels like metal on metal bouncing. I weigh 200 lbs.

I checked and adjusted both the chain and the drive belt. They needed a bit of tightening. I confirmed that the rear wheel was aligned. I checked every engine mount bolt that I new to check for tightness. I have spent a lot of time looking for anything loose to no avail. I have checked the rubber engine mount in the front and it seems fine. I also removed the chrome spoiler that goes over the lower front engine mount (just in case this was doing anything wacky to the front end).

After all this, it felt great when I rode it alone. When my wife joined me 2-up I noticed that the bouncing engine was back but more drastic than I ever felt it on my own. My wife weighs 135 lbs. Now I am back to square one. I have had at least 4 experienced riders take it for a spin. They all say the same thing - "I think it is OK but there seems to be something out of adjustment when you brake at slow speeds."

I have spent a lot of time searching this forum for this problem. I found some info. here
https://www.hdforums.com/m_106025/mp.../tm.htm#111554
and I have done everything advised except the shim thing.

I'm starting to wonder if this is normal for this bike. I have ridden an 05 883 Sportster, an 00 Heritage Softail, an 06 wide glide and have never felt this bouncing engine sensation. I never rode 2-up on another bike though. Could it be that with more weight on the bike makes the engine vibration more evident?

I'm planning to take a closer look at the front end soon. I've read about Wide Glide Clunk but I don't think that is it. I'm looking for some advice and would appreciate any input. Thanks for taking some time to read this.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5489/BED672D0BAAD45EC8D9AE0F8E29FB006.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5489/39E8DB2EEFD44D5394CA0254B271818E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-13-2005, 11:27 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: Bouncing Engine?

Have you considered the swingarm bushings? If I remember correctly, the rear of the transmission mounts to the swingarm with bushings. If these bushings are bad it might let the engine bounce.

This is just a guess, but it might be a place to look. With only 3,300 miles, it wouldn't seem like the swingarm bushings could be bad, but I guess it's possible.

Good luck,

Regards,

Bill

Old 11-13-2005, 12:24 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Dyna models have a rubber mounted engine, but the engine is not balanced. The softails have the engine balanced, but no rubber mounts. This ends up meaning the dyna will shake, rattle and roll at idle, but smooths out once you pick up some rpms. My '06 vibrates like crazy while I am sitting at a light, but as soon as I take off, she smoothes out. If I lug the engine, the vibration is back. If it were me, I'd swing by the dealership (or an indy shop) and ask the mechanic to take it for a quick test ride. Just to see if it's normal vibration or not.

Old 11-13-2005, 12:27 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I know you said you checked the motor mounts, my only suggestion would be to get a manual and go through the entire list of torque specs on your bike with a torque wrench. If that dosen't do it, have a mechanic look it over. IMHO, the bike is still way too new, mileage wise to have anything worn out. The upper motor mount, where it bolts to the heads has a tendency to come loose, so I go over them after every ride, along with the muffler clamps, and other bits and pieces! Sure wish I could be of more help. All I can say is I now go over my bike with a wrench after each day of riding, along with cleaning it up as it allows for an inspection at the same time, and keeps "susie" clean and happy!

joe

Old 11-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Cool Breeze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like traveler said, check the upper engine mounts. Mine came loose and lost a bolt out of the back side of the mount, bounced around like crazy and at highway speed it caused a serious wobble.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:44 AM
WdGldDave
Road Captain

I finally found someone that has a possible diagnosis for my bouncing engine issue. One of the service guys at the local HD thinks my lower motor mounts are shot, at least the front one. He showed me on the bottom of the bike that the engine has slid forward further than it should. With less than 4,000 miles I am having a little trouble understanding what went wrong. I'll know for sure on Sat. when they are done with it. The estimate was $360. [:@] Each motor mount is around $100.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:36 AM
intruder400ex
Road Captain

Check you calibers also to make sure they are tight. I had the fronts loosen up on me once and it took me forever to figure out.

Steve

Old 03-02-2006, 10:38 PM
JonHanna
Road Master

ORIGINAL: WdGldDave

The estimate was $360. [:@] Each motor mount is around $100.
[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 03-08-2006, 01:35 AM
WdGldDave
Road Captain

Well, problem solved. $359.85 later I feel like I have a different bike. No bouncing. It's a smooth ride. It seems like a lot of money but hey, they washed it. The problem was the front and rear engine mounts.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:03 AM
intruder400ex
Road Captain

Well you can always think of it this way it could have been worse I'm sure youl ride much more comfortably knowing it is fixed.

Good luck

steve

Quick Reply: Bouncing Engine?