Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 03:55 AM
2BKFXDL
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a ?

My bike idles at its normal 950-1050 rpm after warming up prior to riding. After riding...say at your next stop, she wont hardly drop below 1300.....is this too high? It sounds too high....just sounds wrong.

So the ?.....what is a power valve?

Bike has been set up the way it is now since the beginning almost 2 years ago.....dealer installed the pipes, the SE1 and re-jetted.

Perfect performance [in heaps]....I just never noticed this propensity to run at the 1300 before.

Old 11-13-2005, 09:40 AM
blkfalc4
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I have a ?

Intake leak.
Probably sealed when it's cold, and leaks when it's warmed up.
Is it consistant?

Possibly something else, but leak is the first thing I'd look for.

Old 11-13-2005, 11:41 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

All of my carburated bikes would do this. If you just warm it up a little, it is still not really warm. You ride it for a few minutes, and get it really warm, and the idle is too high.

What I did on mine was get it good and warm and slow the idle down to about 850 to 900. This is with the screw on the throttle cables, not the idle adjustment screw in the bottom of the carburator. If you do this you will have to use the enricher a little longer on warm up, and it won't idle as good when cold, but you will have the right idle for normal riding.

It could be an intake leak also, but I would guess that if it was you wouldn't be having "perfect performance", there would be some popping and rough running.

Regards,

Bill

Old 11-13-2005, 12:18 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2BKFXDL

My bike idles at its normal 950-1050 rpm after warming up prior to riding. After riding...say at your next stop, she wont hardly drop below 1300.....is this too high? It sounds too high....just sounds wrong.

So the ?.....what is a power valve?

Bike has been set up the way it is now since the beginning almost 2 years ago.....dealer installed the pipes, the SE1 and re-jetted.

Perfect performance [in heaps]....I just never noticed this propensity to run at the 1300 before.

By the way, that's an absolutely beautiful bike!

joe

Old 11-13-2005, 01:26 PM
2BKFXDL
Road Master

Intake leak...............I wondered about that.

Someone mentioned float issues.....someone mentioned power valve....I know what that is on a 2 cycle engine [like a snowmobile] but not sure where to direct myself on a TC88.

Performance is still really good.....no popping or anything or really running rough.

Sometimes the 1300 max will vary a bit.....more times than not she will stay at that idle after a run in midrange.

Only other abnormality is that the enrichener wants to crawl back to the off position on its own. I adjusted the tension nutt on the enrichener and that helped a bit.

billnourse: are you talking about that star type adjustment piece below the switch housing on the throttle side?.....maybe I knocked it out of whack a turn or so...?

If it were an intake leak what would be my best route at resolving that deal?

I am not mechanically illiterate but am not good enough with some of the TC88 issues to accurately diagnose a problem myself.

Old 11-13-2005, 02:20 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

billnourse: are you talking about that star type adjustment piece below the switch housing on the throttle side?.....maybe I knocked it out of whack a turn or so...?

The screw I am talking about is where the cables attach to the carb. It is a Phillips head that you can see on the upper right side of the carb. You have to look kinda down behind the air cleander to see it, and it's a little hard to get to. It is the screw that determines where the throttle arm stops when the throttle is closed.

If you suspect an air leak, spray a little WD40 around the rubber boot that attaches the carb to the manifold. If there is an air leak, you should notice a increase in rpm for a few seconds until the WD40 is burned. If there is a leak, you will need to replace the boot.

Regards,

Bill

Old 11-13-2005, 07:49 PM
2BKFXDL
Road Master

Thanks man...I know the screw you are talking about.....turning it clockwise I beleive should decrease rpm......

As for the boot....I think you are talking about the vaccum piston diaphragm that rests inside the carb manifold......that part is properly installed and there is a good seal and no tears in the boot........

Thanks for the info....I will try that tomorrow....that sounds like the culprit.

Old 11-14-2005, 11:06 AM
intruder400ex
Road Captain

silly simple possibilty that i had a prob with was the wind shield was bending the throttle wire so it wouldnt return properly just wanted to share

Steve

Old 11-16-2005, 07:15 PM
2BKFXDL
Road Master

ORIGINAL: billnourse

The screw I am talking about is where the cables attach to the carb. It is a Phillips head that you can see on the upper right side of the carb. You have to look kinda down behind the air cleander to see it, and it's a little hard to get to. It is the screw that determines where the throttle arm stops when the throttle is closed.

If you suspect an air leak, spray a little WD40 around the rubber boot that attaches the carb to the manifold. If there is an air leak, you should notice a increase in rpm for a few seconds until the WD40 is burned. If there is a leak, you will need to replace the boot.

Regards,

Bill
Okay......so I did what ya said Billl. Got the bike nice and warmed up and then adjusted the idle [per the described screw] down to about 850-900 rpm. The bike idles well at that rpm and after riding would run in the 9-950 range....nice and steady with no other issues.

???? Is it allright to have the bike set at the 850-900 range without causing any further problems....I guess what I am asking is does that knock anything out of whack?

Thanks for the advice......

Old 11-16-2005, 11:21 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

The only thing it might do is make you use the enricher a little longer on warm up. I can't think of any other issues you would have. All you did was let the trottle close a little more than it was, you didn't change any jetting, or idle settings.

Regards,

Bill

Quick Reply: I have a ?