Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filler up!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:35 PM
cstolp
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filler up!

Does anyone else hate the damn filler opening on their tank? Frickin gas pump burps and me and the bike get sprayed by gas. I think the design sucks. Anybody had similar experiences?

Chris

Old 08-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
Default RE: Filler up!

I've had my bike a few weeks and my only complaint so far is the sloppy fill-ups. I'm sure it's just a matter of technique though, and before long it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:44 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

its technique. I find if I always have a paper towel in hand, I am usually a bit cleaner... its when i forget to grab a towel from the dispenser that i usually make a mess.

Stick the nozzle all the way in, wait until it clicks off. You should be able to put at least another half gallon in... raise the nozzle and just lightly squeeze the trigger on and off again, letting the gas settle a bit before pulling again.... watching it the hole time to make sure you don't spew.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:57 PM
pauletich
Road Master

Thrillseeker, has a good technique. Mine is close to that, I look into the gas tank to gauge the level and squeese gently until full.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:00 PM
cstolp
Road Captain

Yes I do that too, and its a pain in the a$$, just wait to you get a bad pump and it burps, nothing like a gasoline bath on the way to work! I want to cut that damn thing out of the tank. I never had this problem with any other bike I've owned.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:02 PM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not ever had that problem with my Evo tanks, maybe you Twin Cam guys should get an EVO to solve all your problems.

J/K...
Just take it easy when it gets near the top and ease the trigger till it is full like thrillseeker suggested.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:09 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

it is no worse than the other bikes i have owned thru the years . technique is the key word here .

Old 08-14-2007, 05:42 PM
efciv
Cruiser

If you find a way to remove the filler plate...post pic so I can remove mine.
In CA we have to struggle with a vapor recovery boot on the nozzle.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:58 PM
shoptroll
Banned

I have the same bung on my 07 Bob that was on my 05 Sporty. Like everybody else said, it's technique, carry a paper towel, and last but not least, some pumps are worse than others so try to avoid the funky ones in your local area (you'll know them after awhile) My trick is, after it clicks off, put the nozzle down in the gas, give it a lite squeeze and then lift the nozzle up and only the gas in the tube will come out. It takes 5 to 10 times but you can top it off right to the bottom of the filler hole real quick with little if any over spray.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Far 3ast
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

One thing I have found helpful as well, for your local fill-ups find a station that has pumps that are easy to modulate. Some stations the pump is like a damn light switch--it's all or nothing. I try to go to stations where I know you can give a light squeeze and just a trickle will come out.

The towel thing is a good suggestion. Also, on my Dyna, I put the nozzle in at a angle (pointing toward the right side of the bike) so it doesn't splash against the hump in the middle of the tank.

Quick Reply: Filler up!