Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dyna vs softie

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 10:10 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: dyna vs softie

ORIGINAL: TowJam

In my perfect world, the Dynas would have the counterbalanced 96B engine but would retain all other Dyna features (integrated oil sump, external suspension, etc.)
Why would you want a counter-balancer? Just wondering. IMHO they rob HP, and I dont mind the vibes. They go away when you twist the throttle anyhow.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:16 PM
DynaSport
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is very much personal preference. My Dyna shakes like crazy sitting still. It really smooths out at speed. The shaking at rest really bothers some people. I am not one of them. I find my Dyna very nice at speed. I personally think the Dynas are sportier than the Softails. Still, I think the Softails are very nice bikes. I especially like the Deuce and the Softail Custom. Not enough to trade for one though.

I agree that the Softails hold their value better and I think there are more accessories for them. I really think it is something best left to a test ride and what really sets you off.

Good luck.

Dan

Old 08-13-2007, 10:18 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

Why would you want a counter-balancer? Just wondering. IMHO they rob HP, and I dont mind the vibes. They go away when you twist the throttle anyhow.
The HP loss is negligible - and probably would be more noticeable to a dyno than a rider. But having an engine counterbalanced allows it to be rigid mounted as a stress member of the frame - which also addresses the rear end wallow that plagues the Dynas and tourers (no need for a True Track).

just my $.02 (and worth every penny!)

Old 08-13-2007, 10:21 PM
grizzly
Road Master

Agreed...I think it (resale) has a lot to do with the popularity of the Soft Tail and therefore the MoCo capitolizing on it by offering even more extra shiny stuff to put on it.

By the way, I like the looks of the Custom, but I think it is because it looks like a WideGlide...

Ride each one and you will know whats right for you.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

ORIGINAL: crock921

i think that will be the final determining factor. driving the two bikes will really tell me how it feels and what feels best to me. I just know that I don't want to be hunched over at all. the v rod was killer on my back.
Bingo! Ride both and see which is better for you. You might be able to tell just by sitting on some of the bikes. Dyna riders and Softail riders all swear by their choices, so you won't go wrong with whichever you like better.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:23 PM
grizzly
Road Master

ORIGINAL: TowJam

The HP loss is negligible - and probably would be more noticeable to a dyno than a rider. But having an engine counterbalanced allows it to be rigid mounted as a stress member of the frame - which also addresses the rear end wallow that plagues the Dynas and tourers (no need for a True Track).

just my $.02 (and worth every penny!)
Good point. I have never experienced the rearend wallow, but a good point non the less.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

This last week end I rode a lady friend of mines' Softail Deuce. It was... er.. well .. very smooth.. I suppose is the right word. It didnt have the power of my Dyna. (hers is still an 88 mines a 95 big bore) The motor didnt even so much as MOVE sitting at idle at a stoplight... It haddecent acceleration.. brakes were ok.. it had typical softail handeling.. (watch the snappy layover turns) ...
But, it just didnt feel like an HD to me... maybe I am so used to my Dyna.. I dont know... but to me it just didnt feel "alive". My Dyna has a personality... it gets it andrips it as well as it roars... I will never switch..
To me a Dyna is the only way to go.

Dynas forever

Old 08-13-2007, 11:07 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Something about a softtail makes them more popular, must be the cleaner lines, but like a chopper you're giving up something. My WG is rock steady, power on the straight, and great cornering. She can't stand sitting still though, which I like.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:03 AM
dafowfidy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going from a 05 train to a 08 Street Bob. Don’t get me wrong, I really liked my night train but when I decided to get a new one, the Bob gave me the most ideas. For me the selling point was, performance, ride, laced wheels, denim black paint option, and I like the look of the 19” front tire. It should be in sometime around October and I cant wait. I have already started building parts for it, good luck in making a decision.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:13 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member

Dynas handle and ride better. While I do love several Softail models and would not turn my nose up at a free one, I despise the counterbalanced "B" motor.

Quick Reply: dyna vs softie