Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are all the "older" Harleys?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:20 AM
ride99fxd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Where are all the "older" Harleys?

Every Thursday night two guys show up at the local watering hole, one riding a '52 Pan Hydraglide, and the other riding a '40 flathead (80 incher). I have a close friend who has a '76 FXE that he bought new, so they are still out there.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:24 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's one that's gonna be for sale. Nice build Pan nearly finished.

http://www.cripplecreekmc.com/images/redbikert.jpg

Old 08-10-2007, 10:44 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

There are plenty of older models out there.....but as time goes on, there will be fewer still on the road. At least that is what I believe!

Alot say that the older ones were not as reliable as they are today. Well, the Panhead, Shovelhead, and the EVO were pretty darn reliable. I never owned a Panhead, but old timers say they were reliable. I've owned several Shovelheads and plenty of EVO's. My favorite were the Shovelheads and EVO's. I'll ride an EVO anywhere and anytime. The EVO is definately a good engine!

All my stuff is EVO and one Twin Cam. At least with the older models.....you could get it running again on the side of the road when sh*& happens. When a newer Harley quits.....just call someone to pick it up, because you are probably not going to find out what is wrong with it.

My last Shovel was a 1984 FXE....and it was just as reliable as any EVO I ever owned.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:55 AM
flewbyu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99 FXDWG, no bugs in this "Twinkie"

Old 08-10-2007, 10:58 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

If you took care of the old pan heads they were a good motor. I never got broke down on my old pan. But I never neglected it. Regular maintenance and oil changes. Stayed on everything like a top. But you have to realize it was my only transportation. I depended on it. Everybody now says the EVO's were the best motors. And that's all a lot of Indy builds do much workon . They haven't stepped upon the plate and learned about comuters.Yes the Evo'swas a good motor.
But all in all the Twin Cams are a great motor. Better fuel milage. Easier cranking. You can do a lot with a comuter if you lean some about it. I've heard good mechanics say the Twin cams are just about bullet prooof it you take care of them.
I see everybody trying to buy piggy back systems and trying to git by and having them dynoed and still working to git them just right.
The TM A/T is about the best thing for the new bikes sinced sliced bread. It just takes a little reading and a few simple clicks to set a base map program up, No dyno time needed unless yer going to rae of build a real big engine. I guess the initial 864.00 for a complete ECM and new Oxygen sensors is too much. Buy you save the dyno cost. You git free updates on software updates and firmware.
But in the long run you really come out better.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:59 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: flewbyu

99 FXDWG, no bugs in this "Twinkie"
Bike looks like it has been taken good care of too.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Sal C
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've seen me post on the forum. I got a '07 Low Rider....but.....in my garage is a 81 FXWG shovel also. She's been with me for 3 years now. The new bike is a 'get on and go'. Sure, I've done a few things with the new bike (pipes,fuel-pak, a/c) and also triggered a bunch of diagnostic codes too. Not much more to do.
Now, on the other hand, I've done lots to my '81. Runs perfect. I love tinkering with her. I was gonna sell it, but decided against it...they just aren't making them anymore. I've won a few shows with her,..... my new one, I wouldn't even consider putting that one in a show.
You'll find the old bike owners on different forums pertaining to older bikes. I belong to2 of them. Just a different mindset, I LOVE my old girl, my new one...well it'll take a while for that one.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:39 AM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They in the "Classic" section.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:41 AM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold mine for a 2007 Deluxe. I still see many around where I live, but most keep them in the garage until that sunny Sunday afternoon.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:51 PM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is at least two of us on this board with 96' wide glides.

Quick Reply: Where are all the "older" Harleys?