Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

decel popping / blue flames

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:34 AM
pauletich
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: decel popping / blue flames

Thanks for the post. I learn more and more each day. Great looking bike.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:42 AM
ziggy
Cruiser

My dyna has been doing that for 19,000 miles...

Old 08-10-2007, 09:46 AM
BurgerTx
Cruiser

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 08-10-2007, 12:11 PM
kerberos
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: EVO80

My guess is that the majority of bikesdo the same thing when blipping the throttle but most of us never sit in a somewhat dark place or at night blipping our throttles and looking at the exhaust to see what happens. Might be something to try out tonight.
Some of us don't blip the throttle at all. Never could understand why people do that. Well, I guess I can (sounds cool!) but to me it just puts extra heat in the engine that doesn't need to be there.

My bike pops once in a while when I back off the throttle.. I know I should probably bite the bullet and get it dyno'ed, but it just doesn't bother me that much and I don't really think it causes any harm unless its a constant thing.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:41 PM
EVO80
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Wecroft

Read the origional post. He states he has a "decel" popping. That would be when he rolls "off" the throttle.Popping at that time would be caused by a rich mix, as a lean mix would not provide fuel to ignite in the exhaust.

If he had said accel popping or backfiring I'd be inclinded to aggree with you. But if he's holding open throttle for more than a secondor two then letting off, the over rich accel dump has had time to blow out the back.
Not to start an arguement but I read the post and understand exactly what was said - Ihave a fairly good idea what "decel" means after 40 years of riding bikes.

Guess we'll have to disagree regarding running lean or rich but his setup, from the dealer, would have him lean unless there was something else done to his set up that wasn't mentioned.

Popping on deceleration is caused by un-burnt fuel igniting and there is always "some" un-burnt fuel in your exhaust due to the operation of your engine. While being lean or rich may have "some" effect on this, there are several factors at work that causepopping - a few items you have no control over which is why I don't give it much thought.

The following, taken from another site, is one of the better and simplerexplanationsI've found - better thanI could explain it:

Deceleration popping tells us a couple things;
1: Inside the exhaust pipe is hot.
2: Idle circuit is allowing fuel into the engine.
3: Somewhere the fuel in the exhaust pipe (which is not burnt as we are not allowing oxygen into the engine) is coming into a source of oxygen! Thus finding some air so it can explode!
That’s it! It does not mean its lean! You can richen up the idle mixture until the exhaust is no longer hot and the popping may go away? But now you have a cooler combustion chamber and the AC pump is going to have more trouble getting the engine to respond to the twist, you may find yourself going around in circles?
If you want to understand the engines function better? The engine is a big air pump, as long as the engine is turning over it is trying to draw air in. That airflow is blocked by the throttle slide so under deceleration there is very high vacuum on the front side of the slide.
What is happening is a combo of two things:
1: High vacuum at the intake port is sucking fuel from the idle circuit, that tiny orifice forward of the slide so some fresh fuel is being run thru the engine, as the air supply is almost closed off this fuel goes thru the engine mostly unburned. (BTW, several years ago when cars got FI and the mileage improved! The reason the mileage improved is the FI shuts off the fuel when the vehicle is driving the engine).
2: Under deceleration high vacuum as the exhaust valve opens before BDC at the end of the power stroke it draws air from the exhaust back into the engine. The exhaust had momentum going out, suddenly there is suction making it reverse. At that moment the suction at the exhaust valve area is so high that the tinniest leak at the head pipe will draw in fresh, dirty air!
“Fresh” in that it has lots of Oxygen! This ignites the un-burnt fuel out in the exhaust port!
Dirty in that it brings with it dirt that is around the front of the cylinder head, this gets under the valves and causes some minor pitting of the valve. Not catastrophic but when I take a head apart I have a pretty good idea of how good your head pipe seal is!