Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

decel popping / blue flames

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:28 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: decel popping / blue flames

I could be WRONG??, but will not admit it if I am.
Looks like you have "Longshots" on your bike. Articles I have read in the past few years say they will contibute to said problem (loading up fuel in the exhaust).
That really is a beautifully done bike.
Where did you get the front fender, if I might ask??
I also think you should go for BOTM.

DougJ

Old 08-09-2007, 10:33 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hummm come tell that to my buddy that has the Big shot longs on his 96 wide glide, it don't pop or have blue flames coming out the build engine with CRane heads and cams in it.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:40 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: cardboard

Hummm come tell that to my buddy that has the Big shot longs on his 96 wide glide, it don't pop or have blue flames coming out the build engine with CRane heads and cams in it.
Different setup, isn't it? I did give myself an out (I could be wrong), so I ain't tellin nobody nottin.

DougJ

Old 08-09-2007, 10:45 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Cool man, blue flames is from unburnt gas. Its according to how the unburn't gas got there. I'd rather have a motor running rich than lean. But too rich can cause Carbon build up and cause the bike to flood out some. It won't burn a hole in no piston and can be fixed oh.
We all learning oh. Good to learn. I'm still learning. At my age I learn and when I learn somemore, I forgit what it was I learned the 1st time too. Drink !

Old 08-09-2007, 10:56 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Informative post. Thanks. I just bought an 02 Dyna Low Rider and it was popping a lot at lower altitudes - got it in Milwaukee. As soon as I started gaining altitude, it started sounding better. Much better now that I'm back in Billings (3,000 ft). Gas mileage seemed to get a little better too, was barely 40 mpg driving the speed limits and not hot rodding. Will have to monitor that for a while, but it points to the thought that it might be running a little rich. Bike had SE-2 pipes, SE filter and was supposedly rejetted by the first owner.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:08 AM
WildBill76
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool Bike. Too rich can also dilute your oil and speed up engine wear. It is a delicate balance.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:54 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: WildBill76

Cool Bike. Too rich can also dilute your oil and speed up engine wear. It is a delicate balance.
Yep !
But I got a good mechanic. Don't let my bike git like that.
My mechaniceven says don't you ever check the air in yer tires. Nah that's what I got you for.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:29 AM
EVO80
Road Captain

Well, I guess I'm gonna have to disagree with what others have told you. First, you bike is OK - popping on deceleration is fairly normal - constant backfiring is not - but popping on decelis something that a fair number of bikes do - maybe not all, but a fair number. Some people like it - some don't. Some people spend a lot of time, money, worryand energytrying and to get rid of it. Doesn't bother me and all my bikes over the years have done it to some extent,some more than others. But, in general,I prefer to ride rather than sweat the small stuff and I actually enjoy the popping.

I'd guess you are running somewhat lean as the typical stage one download with the free flowing pipes and air filter generally result in that condition.

As to the flames - The blue flames you saw are the result of un-burnt fuel igniting. You blip the throttle and you dump a large amount of fuel into the cylinders -fuelis entering the cylinders at the same timeexhaust fumes are being sucked/pushed outof the cylinders. In this process some of the incoming fuel is sucked out - especially true when blipping the throttle as itdumps a fair amount of fuel into the cylinders quickly.Your exhaust gets hot enough to ignite the un-burnt fuel and you get blue flames at the tips where there is more oxygen to help burn it.JMHO

My guess is that the majority of bikesdo the same thing when blipping the throttle but most of us never sit in a somewhat dark place or at night blipping our throttles and looking at the exhaust to see what happens. Might be something to try out tonight.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Read the origional post. He states he has a "decel" popping. That would be when he rolls "off" the throttle.Popping at that time would be caused by a rich mix, as a lean mix would not provide fuel to ignite in the exhaust.

If he had said accel popping or backfiring I'd be inclinded to aggree with you. But if he's holding open throttle for more than a secondor two then letting off, the over rich accel dump has had time to blow out the back.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:09 AM
matkiwi
Road Master

flames out of the pipes ... cool ! I hope mine can do that ... gotta try it later !

Quick Reply: decel popping / blue flames