Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Al risers vs. ??? - also, which bars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 02:52 PM
jac737
Road Captain
Received 177 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Big Al risers vs. ??? - also, which bars?

Hello all,

I have decided to move over to some 9 - 10" risers and MX style bars for my 2010 Street Bob. Currently have wide 12" ape hangers from KST, but I need to narrow the bike's overall footprint for a few reasons... I have also been wanting to try some of the Big Al style risers and an MX bar for a while.

In any case, I really like the thicker profile of the Big Al risers, but I've seen a few competitors offering this style now as well. Death Metal Racing has the Destroyers, LA Choppers has a version, and even amazon.com has the Goldfire brand available. Looking specifically at the 10" risers with pullback.

Does anyone have experience with more than one brand of these style risers? Pros, cons, etc.?

While I really like the Big Al style, I also like the Forbidden Motorcycles gold bars and black risers combo... Any feedback on these?

Also, I am not sure which bars to pair up with the riser. I'd like to stick with 1" diameter due to ease of the install and the fact that they'll fit my current controls, etc. Any recommendations on a brand, width, etc.?

Last edited by jac737; 10-19-2021 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:39 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 868 Likes on 547 Posts

I believe most 1.25" bars are tapered to fit 1" controls so you should not have any problem picking a style you like.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:43 PM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,038 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by jac737
Hello all,

I have decided to move over to some 9 - 10" risers and MX style bars for my 2010 Street Bob. Currently have wide 12" ape hangers from KST, but I need to narrow the bike's overall footprint for a few reasons... I have also been wanting to try some of the Big Al style risers and an MX bar for a while.

In any case, I really like the thicker profile of the Big Al risers, but I've seen a few competitors offering this style now as well. Death Metal Racing has the Destroyers, LA Choppers has a version, and even amazon.com has the Goldfire brand available. Looking specifically at the 10" risers with pullback.

Does anyone have experience with more than one brand of these style risers? Pros, cons, etc.?

While I really like the Big Al style, I also like the Forbidden Motorcycles gold bars and black risers combo... Any feedback on these?

Also, I am not sure which bars to pair up with the riser. I'd like to stick with 1" diameter due to ease of the install and the fact that they'll fit my current controls, etc. Any recommendations on a brand, width, etc.?
Hardcase Performance makes really nice risers, lots of color options, drilled for wires. Very spendy though. TC Bros also makes a really nice modular riser available w/pullback. Most of those style risers come with a 1” clamping area for standard bars or 1 1/8” for mx style bars. If you do fo with a 1 1/8” bar and riser the bars will be tapered so you won’t have to change your controls. So don’t let that worry you.

I would stay away from the Amazon and eBay specials. My experience with the Goldfire risers wasn’t good.

Last edited by brownie4412; 10-19-2021 at 07:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lespaul6 (10-27-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 10:13 AM
jac737
Road Captain

Originally Posted by brownie4412
Hardcase Performance makes really nice risers, lots of color options, drilled for wires. Very spendy though. TC Bros also makes a really nice modular riser available w/pullback. Most of those style risers come with a 1” clamping area for standard bars or 1 1/8” for mx style bars. If you do fo with a 1 1/8” bar and riser the bars will be tapered so you won’t have to change your controls. So don’t let that worry you.

I would stay away from the Amazon and eBay specials. My experience with the Goldfire risers wasn’t good.
Thank you for feedback. Would you explain the issue you had with the Goldfire risers?

I looked at the Hardcase risers, but I agree that they are very very pricey. Leaning heavily toward the Forbidden Motorcycles risers right now. Not sure how I feel about the TC Bros modular, as I think I want the riser and lower clamp to be 100% solid... also, they only have black and raw aluminum option... so I don't see the advantage over the FM risers right now.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:37 AM
Rapidfire1
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the forbidden bars, no complaints at all. Holes are plenty big to run your wiring though the bar. I also have the forbidden risers, no complaints there either.

jac737 (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 12:08 PM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,038 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by jac737
Thank you for feedback. Would you explain the issue you had with the Goldfire risers?

I looked at the Hardcase risers, but I agree that they are very very pricey. Leaning heavily toward the Forbidden Motorcycles risers right now. Not sure how I feel about the TC Bros modular, as I think I want the riser and lower clamp to be 100% solid... also, they only have black and raw aluminum option... so I don't see the advantage over the FM risers right now.
The 1” clamp area wasn’t a true 1”, it was just a bit too big. I’m assuming since they’re Chinese however they made the hole for the bars they didn’t have a 1” tool so they probably used a 25.5mm and hoped that the finish coating would make up the difference. Well it did, sort of but it still wasn’t right. I then used a really soft cork wheel to remove the coating and made shims for between the bar and risers. After all this I still couldn’t get the risers to clamp up squarely. No matter what I did the bars were always tweaked one way or another. Not to mention having metric hardware, which isn’t a HUGE deal just another wrench you have to bring along that only serves 1 purpose.

I didn’t know forbidden made a pullback riser. Interesting.

Last edited by brownie4412; 10-20-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:26 PM
jac737
Road Captain

Originally Posted by brownie4412
The 1” clamp area wasn’t a true 1”, it was just a bit too big. I’m assuming since they’re Chinese however they made the hole for the bars they didn’t have a 1” tool so they probably used a 25.5mm and hoped that the finish coating would make up the difference. Well it did, sort of but it still wasn’t right. I then used a really soft cork wheel to remove the coating and made shims for between the bar and risers. After all this I still couldn’t get the risers to clamp up squarely. No matter what I did the bars were always tweaked one way or another. Not to mention having metric hardware, which isn’t a HUGE deal just another wrench you have to bring along that only serves 1 purpose.

I didn’t know forbidden made a pullback riser. Interesting.
Wow!!! I am glad I didn't just pull the trigger on those riser before asking. Good info here that I hope helps future lurkers to avoid the frustration.

Forbidden actually doesn't make pullback risers, so they would be a compromise... Essentially, I am deciding if the pullback is worth the extra ~$200-400 for the higher end options... I am going to try a buddy's FXDX with straight 11" FM risers tonight, so that will help with the decision a bit.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:20 PM
TOE_CUTTER
Road Master
Received 288 Likes on 208 Posts

If your budget is there, Kraus risers, either straight or pull back with Big Al's low low bar. It will take custom machine work to get them to mate together properly, but it is worth it. No buzzing and mirrors are functional. Only 28" wide. Great for lane splitting.

https://www.krausmotorco.com/collections/risers

https://www.bigalscycles.com/product...-low-bend-bars

Dave

Old 10-23-2021, 12:48 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 840 Likes on 378 Posts

Hmm, if I'm spending someone else's money then some of the set ups I'd run.

Death Metal Racing pullbacks in 10" with Thrashin Hi-Bend's
Bare Knuckle Modular risers. These are bitchin because you can tailor the height and pullback super easily. Also with Thrashin hi bends.

Since I'm cheap however I normally run Biltwell Murdoch risers in 10" straight or pullback and Biltwell High Trackers.
Currently I run Thrashin hi's on 9.5" Drag Specialties pullbacks and this by far is the most comfortable setup I've ridden. Not the coolest or most expensive but function over form this time around.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:19 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftace
Hmm, if I'm spending someone else's money then some of the set ups I'd run.

Death Metal Racing pullbacks in 10" with Thrashin Hi-Bend's
Bare Knuckle Modular risers. These are bitchin because you can tailor the height and pullback super easily. Also with Thrashin hi bends.

Since I'm cheap however I normally run Biltwell Murdoch risers in 10" straight or pullback and Biltwell High Trackers.
Currently I run Thrashin hi's on 9.5" Drag Specialties pullbacks and this by far is the most comfortable setup I've ridden. Not the coolest or most expensive but function over form this time around.
I have the BKP Flex risers on my bike (my brother owns the company). I have 9" total rise on the risers and some bars we made that have a little rise. I went with the solid one piece top clamp with the Ram ball mount option to mount my GPS. Over the winter I plan on putting a set of Speedkings High Bend bars on once the gauge mount is released for the Flex risers. Really like the setup. just want a little bit more height.

Boosted Brad (DMR) makes some really cool stuff as well. I have his boards and mini bear trap pass pegs along with his hydraulic clutch cover. If I didn't have my current risers I would have gone with his. He's a solid dude as well.

shiftace (10-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Big Al risers vs. ??? - also, which bars?