Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5v power source?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 03:42 AM
deanspeed
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 5v power source?

Is there a stable 5v source with at least 7 Amps of current available somewhere on the 06 Street Bob?

Also, can someone tell me how much battery life is necessary to crank the engine? Wanting to add a low voltage disconnect so I can run an accessory without the bike running, without worrying about the battery dying to the point where I can't start the engine, just need to know what voltage I should set it to. Any reason I shouldn't do this? (won't be used all the time, just when I want to show something off)

Old 09-16-2021, 07:28 AM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,399 Likes on 859 Posts

The electrical system on a Harley is 12 VDC. There is no 5v source. Under the seat is a 12VDC accessory plug. It has power with the engine off and the ignition switched to ACC,. That plug also powers accessories with the engine running.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:56 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 871 Likes on 618 Posts

Get a 12V USB adapter. You want it switched, but you may not want to have the bike's other accessories on at the same time.

Seven amps is a lot of current for a 5 volt supply. What are you planning to run?

As far as a battery minder goes, I wouldn't let it get below about 80%. It's not like these bikes have a lot of reserve starting capacity (big pistons and significant compression). 80% is about 12.4 volts for a flooded cell battery, or 12.5 for an AGM battery. 12.0 is less than 50% for both types.

Last edited by John CC; 09-16-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:30 PM
deanspeed
3rd Gear

Thanks for the responses, I am planning to install WS2812B leds and a arduino nano with a few modules for custom interactive lighting effects. I probably wont ever need the full 7 amps unless I were to turn every led on at full brightness, but I can program it not to do that. I can also use half the leds and probably still get the same effect for half the power along with some other power saving tricks. since there is no 5v to tap into, I will be using a dc/dc step-down converter to get me down to 5v. Looking into what I can use for its own battery source, that way i'm not using the starter battery.

I know this won't be legal while on the street, but it's just a fun thing for meetups or anywhere when not on the street and want to show it off.

One more question, does the space under the seat stay pretty dry if I get caught in the rain? Or should I be waterproofing my components as much as possible?

Old 09-16-2021, 09:20 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,399 Likes on 859 Posts

Sorry I replied. I have my 07 Dyna and 77 XLH 1000 . . . to RIDE. Don't need LED lights to show **** off with.

The following 3 users liked this post by TexasScooterTrash:
eighteight (09-17-2021), s-glide76 (09-20-2021), Vec (09-23-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 05:32 AM
HD_noobie
Road Master
Received 555 Likes on 293 Posts
The following users liked this post:
deanspeed (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 02:31 AM
deanspeed
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TexasScooterTrash
Sorry I replied. I have my 07 Dyna and 77 XLH 1000 . . . to RIDE. Don't need LED lights to show **** off with.
I'm sorry you replied as well. Your first reply was somewhat helpful, but your second reply was completely unnecessary. Obviously yes, its fun to RIDE, But in my opinion it looks rather plain, especially yours, I mean like every other Dyna out there, and since mine looks somewhat similar, I feel like it'll be fun to spoof it up a bit with something more personal to me and my skill level that's sure to be a conversation starter when I'm out... Different generation I guess...

Last edited by deanspeed; 09-22-2021 at 02:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (09-23-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 02:51 AM
deanspeed
3rd Gear

Is this something you have used and are recommending? I have found something very similar but claims to be waterproof, or at least water resistant. I don't ride much in the rain anymore but when you ride as often as I do (daily rider), sometimes you get stuck in the rain. Still waiting for someone to let me know if it gets wet under the seat and if so how much, so I can determine how much waterproofing I will need for this project.

This is what I am considering:
Amazon Amazon
will also be running a custom made usb cable from this to my phone mount.

Old 09-22-2021, 04:42 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,004 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Get a 12V USB adapter.
USB adaptors are normally around 2Amps max.

The connectors under my seat are Multi lock type which are not sealed against water. So I guess HD is not expecting them to get wet.

Old 09-22-2021, 05:10 AM
HD_noobie
Road Master
Received 555 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by deanspeed
Is this something you have used and are recommending? I have found something very similar but claims to be waterproof, or at least water resistant. I don't ride much in the rain anymore but when you ride as often as I do (daily rider), sometimes you get stuck in the rain. Still waiting for someone to let me know if it gets wet under the seat and if so how much, so I can determine how much waterproofing I will need for this project.

This is what I am considering: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...C9B25845&psc=1
will also be running a custom made usb cable from this to my phone mount.
That looks like it will work great, but under the seat or side covers stays dry on my bike.

Quick Reply: 5v power source?