Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb flooded. Low speed jet blocked.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021 | 11:09 AM
Alveus
|
Novice
Default Carb flooded. Low speed jet blocked.

Gents. I have a stock 2000 Dyna Wide Glide, carbureted. About a month ago, I was rolling down the highway at about 55MPH. I rolled on the throttle, and the bike sputtered as if out of gas (lots in the tank). Even a little throttle would cause sputtering. Constant speed was fine. When I came to a stop, the bike died, and fuel gushed out of the air cleaner housing. I opened it up, and more fuel drained out of the carb throat. I had the bike towed home, and serviced the carb. All seemed normal, except the low speed jet was completely blocked. I cleaned it up, and the bike is running fine now. Does it make sense that the blocked low speed jet could have caused this? The only thing that I can think is that with the low speed jet blocked, excessive fuel was being sucked through the main jet, thus causing a flooding condition. Your thoughts?

Old 09-13-2021 | 12:28 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy

I would remove the carb, then the float bowl. Look for any trash/contaminants in the bowl and flush it out with carb cleaner. Remove the slow jet clean it with a small brush and carb cleaner. Remove the float from the body, then the float valve. It's possible the float valve wasn't closing all the way during operation and just letting the fuel to continually flow into the bowl. Clean the float valve seat for any varnish that may have built up. Reassemble. Go to a hardware store and replace the float bowl screws with allen head screws. I think a 6x12 mm screw or 4x12 mm screw( take one with you) will make it easier in the future for removal. Run a couple of tanks mixed with Sea Foam at recommended dosage to clean the internal passages in the carb.

Old 09-13-2021 | 12:34 PM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member

The O.P. is way ahead of you

The following users liked this post:
Alveus (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021 | 01:10 PM
Alveus
|
Novice

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
I would remove the carb, then the float bowl. Look for any trash/contaminants in the bowl and flush it out with carb cleaner. Remove the slow jet clean it with a small brush and carb cleaner. Remove the float from the body, then the float valve. It's possible the float valve wasn't closing all the way during operation and just letting the fuel to continually flow into the bowl. Clean the float valve seat for any varnish that may have built up. Reassemble. Go to a hardware store and replace the float bowl screws with allen head screws. I think a 6x12 mm screw or 4x12 mm screw( take one with you) will make it easier in the future for removal. Run a couple of tanks mixed with Sea Foam at recommended dosage to clean the internal passages in the carb.
thanks so much. I did all those things. I pressure checked the needle and seat before opening the carb. They were sealing. Bowl was very clean. All got cleaned with carb cleaner. I did not do the Seafoam though. Bike is running normally now.

Old 09-13-2021 | 01:16 PM
Alveus
|
Novice

I’m just wondering if my hypothesis makes any sense. I.e., that a plugged low speed jet could cause excessive fuel getting sucked through the main jet and flooding the carb.

The following users liked this post:
seniorsuperglideE8 (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021 | 01:32 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Alveus
I’m just wondering if my hypothesis makes any sense. I.e., that a plugged low speed jet could cause excessive fuel getting sucked through the main jet and flooding the carb.
I, for one, have never heard of such a thing. The effect of the circuits is cumulative, i.e. the high speed fuel depends on the idle circuit plus the low speed circuit plus the main circuit, so, plugging any one of them will lean the mixture. What can enrich the mixture is if an air bleed circuit becomes blocked, or if the intake is somehow choked, like by a dirty intake filter.

That said, all that extra gas everywhere sounds a lot more like a stuck float valve than anything else.

Old 09-13-2021 | 07:17 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy

I'm sure eighteight has an answer for you.