Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started 103' upgrades today..

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 02:14 AM
JoeeJoee
Tourer
Received 157 Likes on 85 Posts

Great job my man, it sounds wicked !!!!!
Rip it up.

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 09:06 AM
KC 15
Cruiser
Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

If it runs as good as it sounds , you are a lucky man.

Old 01-31-2021, 01:42 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,423 Likes on 3,622 Posts

Originally Posted by KC 15
If it runs as good as it sounds , you are a lucky man.
Thanks, But it's all calculated.. No luck here...

Old 01-31-2021, 01:52 PM
KC 15
Cruiser
Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Lol , I now it was calculated , I meant you where lucky to have such a nice bike. 😀

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 01:53 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by KC 15
Lol , I now it was calculated , I meant you where lucky to have such a nice bike. 😀
Patience is the key... I've been looking for a couple years... Thanks..

Old 01-31-2021, 03:40 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

So I've been itching to get this thing out.. My wife finally said go for a ride because that's what you need to do. So I did and she was right, that's exactly what I needed to do.. It was killing me not to get this out on the road after making the changes... You know how it is.... It's Pretty f****** cold out though 23°. I only went for 6-mi ride and I got to say this Dyna honks... The TW 5-6 along with the Hillside Stage II Heads along with the gearing change is a hell of a combination. It's not a stupid crazy build but it's a great all around power band. I'm going to have a lot of fun with this bike... The video is not the actual ride I went on but I just wanted you guys to hear it That's all.. One more thing I wanted to say.. I got out on the parkway for a short spin hitting 1st , 2nd and 3rd to 85 mph so quick and nice and smooth without winding out the gears.. Then just brought it up into 5th and cruised for a minute or two and at 85, I nailed it in 5th and this thing just boogied up to 110 like it was no tomorrow Love it... Not sure if I'm going to mess with the tune on this yet I'm going to keep it just as it is for a while and go from there... too bad it wasn't warmer on I'd be out for a while today I'd tell you that...

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 01-31-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:04 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,957 Likes on 4,033 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Thanks, But it's all calculated.. No luck here...
I'm curious as to what calculations you used. I could see a compression calculator. Anything else.

Old 01-31-2021, 06:17 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

My goal was to do a mild build on a 103" motor for a few years now.. Purchasing this FXDBP gave me the opportunity. For a few years now I've been pushing the woods 222 for a stock 103" tc with a slight bump in compression with a .030" head gasket.. All the Dyno sheets I've seen proved that there really isn't a better bolt in cam for a 103.. All I had to go by was a library of Dyno pulls with various cams, compression ratios and cylinder heads... The Woods cams I've been using for a good 17 years now.. I know how they react to compression but it's the LSA's that I pay most attention to.. It will determine where they come on based on comp.. The Heads, I leave that to the Shop (Porter)... As long as they know what my riding style is and what cams, pistons, ignition, carburation and gear ratio's I'm using they will port based on that.. When It comes to gear ratio's I like to have at least a 9.60-9.80 for first and 3.28 -3.42 at 1:1.. It's all a package.. Most of all I have my experience in Carbed Evo's. I really don't like taking a Harley motor over 6 K.. There's no need for it ( I used to take my Evo motors past 6700 and it usually created more problems).... All the motors I've built had cams where my peak torque comes in at 4100 rpm so why take a motor up to 6k and the shift to the next gear only to be out of your torque range. I've found that data logging with my Wego and doing 1/4 test hits that shifting at 5200 put me back to 4400 rpm grabbing the next gear where my best torque was... Not beyond it.. Even though this is my first Twin cam, a Harley motor is just that, A Harley, not a drag bike (for the street that is).. One can learn a lot from Data logging... The package that I put together is providing exactly what I was looking for.. hopefully some dy I'll be able to get it on a Dyno.. The one thing I do know is that the power band is awesome.. I'm not sure if I'm going to auto tune this flashed map or not.. I need to get more miles on it to figure that out.. With the PV I should be able to data log to find out exactly where I am and if I need to change anything.. I'm not looking for the perfect tune, I actually like a little lean an because everyone has their opinion on that I'll enjoy what I have and keep a close eye on things... Hope this answers your question..

Old 02-01-2021, 09:34 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,957 Likes on 4,033 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
My goal was to do a mild build on a 103" motor for a few years now.. Purchasing this FXDBP gave me the opportunity. For a few years now I've been pushing the woods 222 for a stock 103" tc with a slight bump in compression with a .030" head gasket.. All the Dyno sheets I've seen proved that there really isn't a better bolt in cam for a 103.. All I had to go by was a library of Dyno pulls with various cams, compression ratios and cylinder heads... The Woods cams I've been using for a good 17 years now.. I know how they react to compression but it's the LSA's that I pay most attention to.. It will determine where they come on based on comp.. The Heads, I leave that to the Shop (Porter)... As long as they know what my riding style is and what cams, pistons, ignition, carburation and gear ratio's I'm using they will port based on that.. When It comes to gear ratio's I like to have at least a 9.60-9.80 for first and 3.28 -3.42 at 1:1.. It's all a package.. Most of all I have my experience in Carbed Evo's. I really don't like taking a Harley motor over 6 K.. There's no need for it ( I used to take my Evo motors past 6700 and it usually created more problems).... All the motors I've built had cams where my peak torque comes in at 4100 rpm so why take a motor up to 6k and the shift to the next gear only to be out of your torque range. I've found that data logging with my Wego and doing 1/4 test hits that shifting at 5200 put me back to 4400 rpm grabbing the next gear where my best torque was... Not beyond it.. Even though this is my first Twin cam, a Harley motor is just that, A Harley, not a drag bike (for the street that is).. One can learn a lot from Data logging... The package that I put together is providing exactly what I was looking for.. hopefully some dy I'll be able to get it on a Dyno.. The one thing I do know is that the power band is awesome.. I'm not sure if I'm going to auto tune this flashed map or not.. I need to get more miles on it to figure that out.. With the PV I should be able to data log to find out exactly where I am and if I need to change anything.. I'm not looking for the perfect tune, I actually like a little lean an because everyone has their opinion on that I'll enjoy what I have and keep a close eye on things... Hope this answers your question..

Yeah, it does. There really wasn't any calculations tho I guess you could say that your stuff is a calculated guess that you feel good with, based on items listed on paper. Couple things to note. The RPMs drop is not the same for all gears. Not sure why you chose dropping RPMs to peak TQ unless the peak HP is centered close to it. Not sure why you'd want to gear down a 6 speed that much. At 3.38 to 1 in top gear, first would be 11.3 to 1. Probably OK if you were pulling a sidecar but on a lighter dyna? Stock gearing puts 5th in the 3.38 range matches your requirements. Seems to me that you might was to go a tooth or 2 on the front pulley.

My 07 EGC as a stock 96 did benefit from dropping a couple teeth on the front pulley but but it was mainly due to it not being able to pull top gear. It only has a 66 tooth rear pulley instead of the later 68.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:05 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Yeah, it does. There really wasn't any calculations tho I guess you could say that your stuff is a calculated guess that you feel good with, based on items listed on paper. Couple things to note. The RPMs drop is not the same for all gears. Not sure why you chose dropping RPMs to peak TQ unless the peak HP is centered close to it. Not sure why you'd want to gear down a 6 speed that much. At 3.38 to 1 in top gear, first would be 11.3 to 1. Probably OK if you were pulling a sidecar but on a lighter dyna? Stock gearing puts 5th in the 3.38 range matches your requirements. Seems to me that you might was to go a tooth or 2 on the front pulley.

My 07 EGC as a stock 96 did benefit from dropping a couple teeth on the front pulley but but it was mainly due to it not being able to pull top gear. It only has a 66 tooth rear pulley instead of the later 68.
True not so a calculation as making calculated assumptions based on research and experience. As for the Gearing, What i should have said was that my gearing that I like to set to in my OD6 on my Evo was 9.87 for 1st with 5th @ 3.35 I still had the .860 for 6th @ 2.88.. Currently on my 2013 I have 1st @ 9.60 and 5th @ 3.42. 6th is still giving me 2.875:1. I like the range of my gear ratio's they don't lug the bikes at all and yes not all the rpm drops are at 800 I believe when I was closely monitoring it some rpm drops were as little as 650 between gears.. My point is though I like to shift into my peak torque range where my HP is also coming up aggressively.. Keep in mind that torque gets you there and HP maintains.. I'll try to post up some Dyno sheets to more accurately show what I'm trying to say..

Quick Reply: Started 103' upgrades today..