Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Further Forward" mid controls

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021 | 05:25 PM
damager1
|
Tourer
Default "Further Forward" mid controls

Hey everyone, HAPPY 2021!

So I've been hemming and hawing here, I'm about to say goodbye to my beloved forward controls, which I've ran all my riding life on my FXD. I'm finding they are not the most comfortable for longer rides - my feet just keep gradually sliding off the pegs from the wind. The general consensus at least from other riders is that mids are the way to go, with maybe a pair of highway pegs to stretch out. Questions for any folks that might have them:
1) I've been eyeing the Further Forward mid contols that Harley has available. Has anyone tried these? The reviews on the site are all over the place. Some people love em, some people don't seem to notice a difference, even though 2 inches seems like it would make quite a difference.
2) Is there a kit for mounting highway pegs? I do NOT have an engine guard, and I'd rather not put one on as I believe it kind of messes with the look of the bike. How does everyone else do it?

Thanks everyone, ride safe!

Old 01-05-2021 | 05:48 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior

Further forwards came standard on the 14 and up low riders. I love them, didn't really know how much more comfortable they were over standard mids until I swapped bikes with my buddys street bob one day. There is definitely a difference and I MUCH prefer my further forwards. I run highway pegs too (the harley kit) the mount just bolts into the down tube on both sides.

Comfort is subjective but for me this has been the best of both worlds

Old 01-05-2021 | 05:55 PM
damager1
|
Tourer

Oh wow that's interesting. Do you remember the Harley kit you purchased? for the pegs? I can't seem to find any on the HD site that do not attach to crash bars. If I'm not mistaken, that pipe is a different size to the down tubes. Or, I might be TOTALLY wrong about that.

Old 01-05-2021 | 07:07 PM
OGJZ
3rd Gear

Another option is police floorboards. Repop on e-bay. Don’t have to change primary. Sit high and tight. Keeps the vibes down on long runs.

Old 01-05-2021 | 08:04 PM
damager1
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by OGJZ
Another option is police floorboards. Repop on e-bay. Don’t have to change primary. Sit high and tight. Keeps the vibes down on long runs.
do they have to be Police floorboards? will not any floorboard do the trick?

I'll be honest, at the moment I've been running mini floorboards, which, ARE an improvement, but not enough of one.

Old 01-05-2021 | 10:31 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by damager1
Oh wow that's interesting. Do you remember the Harley kit you purchased? for the pegs? I can't seem to find any on the HD site that do not attach to crash bars. If I'm not mistaken, that pipe is a different size to the down tubes. Or, I might be TOTALLY wrong about that.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is the kit I have. Screws into the two holes in the bottom of the down tube. Attach whatever pegs you want

Old 01-06-2021 | 07:41 AM
OGJZ
3rd Gear

shifter is POS but everything else is solid. I just replaced shifter with oem

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-FL....m46890.l49292

Old 01-06-2021 | 02:37 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

So I've been hemming and hawing here, I'm about to say goodbye to my beloved forward controls, which I've ran all my riding life on my FXD. I'm finding they are not the most comfortable for longer rides - my feet just keep gradually sliding off the pegs from the wind. The general consensus at least from other riders is that mids are the way to go, with maybe a pair of highway pegs to stretch out. Questions for any folks that might have them:
1) I've been eyeing the Further Forward mid contols that Harley has available. Has anyone tried these? The reviews on the site are all over the place. Some people love em, some people don't seem to notice a difference, even though 2 inches seems like it would make quite a difference.
2) Is there a kit for mounting highway pegs? I do NOT have an engine guard, and I'd rather not put one on as I believe it kind of messes with the look of the bike. How does everyone else do it?

If you're looking for highway pegs, I have a chrome set I would let you have for $50 shipped, with the stock pegs, just to get them out of my garage.

Old 01-06-2021 | 03:11 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member

I've been thinking about doing these controls on my '17 FXDB. When I got the bike new, I converted to forwards because the standard mids were just too hard on my hip. But after a few thousand miles in the saddle and converting to BMC wall seat I find that the forwards are too forward even though I'm 6'. I swapped pegs to Primo BMX style from DK and it's helped but this winter I am going to swap in the "Reduced Reach" forwards and ride it for a season to see how it goes. Depending on the results I may be doing further forward mids next year.

I couldn't find Further Forward mids from HD in black, but I did find that V-Twin Manufacturing makes them for about 250 bucks. Good luck and please post pics if you do the swap!

Old 01-07-2021 | 02:03 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member

I put these on my FXDC. Love them and you can tell the difference between the OEM mids and these.

Quick Reply: "Further Forward" mid controls