Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Further Forward" mid controls

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021 | 10:51 AM
damager1
|
Tourer

Yeah... I cheaped out... and paid the price obviously. I'll get a replacement brake pedal from HD. DAMN IT!.

Old 04-03-2021 | 05:09 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member

I`ll take a picture of mine from the top and see if it is similar to your pic.

Old 04-05-2021 | 02:58 PM
High Mileage
Advanced

I took a chance and bought the Wyatt Gatling floorboard kit from Dennis Kirk. Installation on my 2007 FXDC was straightforward and I like the kit. It's much more comfortable and I have better control over the bike than with the OEM pegs and controls. My only regret is that I did not do this sooner.

Old 10-19-2021 | 02:10 PM
jac737
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 610Low
My current scoot is a 2016 FXDLS. Right now Im running the SDC V2 Mini Floorboards but id wanted something with more grip in the boards. I wasn't about the pay the insane markup so my pegs so FLO motorsports on them. I found the Goldfire minis while I was just searching Amazon one night, and also picked up a set of their beefy *** 10" risers too that look like the Big Als and Thrashin Supply risers. Im waiting for the weather to break in PA and then im gonna swap the mini floorboards, the risers/bars set up and put on my new FXRT fairing set up.

and you hit the nail on the head, there is almost an immeasurable increase in control by pulling your legs back to a more natural position. You don't see dirt bikes and sport bikes with forwards controls for a reason. Yea it may be comfy(but its not)but it is not indicative of safe or smart ride.

How are you liking the Goldfire Risers? I am considering a set, and I'd really like to get your experience with these? Any issues?

Old 10-20-2021 | 11:58 AM
christoph
6th Gear

Hello Hello, and first post is this already.. bought the bike with forward pegs as well. I'm 5'3" and already installed the HD reduced kit which makes it better but still far away from what it should be.
I went to Harley and they want 1.3k USD all in for this conversion.. I may do it myself or with a friend who is better than me with mechanics.
Just to confirm, does anyone knows the correct part numbers for my FXDC? Would hate to order the wrong items...

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2022 | 08:37 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member

Originally Posted by snake_eyes
I've been thinking about doing these controls on my '17 FXDB. When I got the bike new, I converted to forwards because the standard mids were just too hard on my hip. But after a few thousand miles in the saddle and converting to BMC wall seat I find that the forwards are too forward even though I'm 6'. I swapped pegs to Primo BMX style from DK and it's helped but this winter I am going to swap in the "Reduced Reach" forwards and ride it for a season to see how it goes. Depending on the results I may be doing further forward mids next year.

I couldn't find Further Forward mids from HD in black, but I did find that V-Twin Manufacturing makes them for about 250 bucks. Good luck and please post pics if you do the swap!
I thought I'd resurrect this thread with an update to my previous post.

As I mentioned above I went from stock mids to forwards when I bought the bike because the mids were too cramped, too knees high, and were killing my hips. Forwards were okay, but when I added my BMC seat they were TOO forward. After that post above I went to "Reduced Reach Forwards" and mini-boards and that helped for quite a while. I switched up to a Sadleman step-up and that was even better, although I still found myself putting my foot on top of the primary sometimes. This last winter I finally got my hands on OEM black "Further Forward Mids" by buying each piece separately from Surdyke. I did the install right by pulling the primary, clutch pack, etc to replace the shift rod on the tranny...made me pretty nervous considering I didn't know if the control location was going to work out.

Well, I can tell you that 2" of "Further Forwardness" makes a HUGE difference from standard mids. The riding position is totally comfortable and natural and with my BungKing crash bar I can stretch my legs if I need to. I have no hip pain and am not cramped either. I am 6', 250lb. I highly recommend this mod if you can find the parts!

Old 05-19-2022 | 10:37 AM
z06elmo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by snake_eyes
Well, I can tell you that 2" of "Further Forwardness" makes a HUGE difference from standard mids. The riding position is totally comfortable and natural and with my BungKing crash bar I can stretch my legs if I need to. I have no hip pain and am not cramped either. I am 6', 250lb. I highly recommend this mod if you can find the parts!
good post and pictures. I have a low rider S that originally came with the further forward mids and I recently went to standard mids for the last few hundred miles. It's odd as I'm still iffy on it (std-mids) and I might switch back to further forward Mids. Other mods are Saddleman step up seat as well. As I ride my bike I'm always thinking to myself that if I was closer to 6 feet tall - no way would I go with mids purely from a comfort perspective.

The following users liked this post:
snake_eyes (05-20-2022)
Old 06-10-2022 | 04:11 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member

I mentioned in a much earlier post in this thread that V-Twin Mfg makes a black further forward kit but it's been out of stock for like 2 years! I just got an email from these guys and they have them in if anyone is interested.

V-Twin Black Further Forward Mid Control Kit Foot Pegs Harley Dyna FXD – American Classic Motors

Old 06-11-2022 | 08:58 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

A question for those running the further forwards: How well does that longer shift lever work??

Old 06-13-2022 | 01:21 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member

Originally Posted by sharkey
A question for those running the further forwards: How well does that longer shift lever work??
I have noticed 0 difference in feel or operation.

Quick Reply: "Further Forward" mid controls