Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Further Forward" mid controls

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021 | 03:22 PM
jeb42
Advanced

I have Harley Rider floor boards with controls # 50500247 ordered They are supposed to be like having touring controls. Ordered $339.00 from Utah Harley but they are on backorder. Hopefully get them next week.

Old 01-15-2021 | 08:47 PM
610Low
Tourer

I should note I have never ridden with forward controls, I don't even stretch my legs out to my crash bar for more than 5-10 minutes. So I don't have much to compare in the ways of forwards vs further forwards for you. All that out of the way.

I have them on my FXDLS. I put them on my FXDB previous to this bike. I didn't notice a difference going from Standard to Further Fwd Mids, but boy I'll tell you going BACK to standard mids....NO THANK YOU.

Old 01-16-2021 | 11:41 AM
damager1
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by snake_eyes
I've been thinking about doing these controls on my '17 FXDB. When I got the bike new, I converted to forwards because the standard mids were just too hard on my hip. But after a few thousand miles in the saddle and converting to BMC wall seat I find that the forwards are too forward even though I'm 6'. I swapped pegs to Primo BMX style from DK and it's helped but this winter I am going to swap in the "Reduced Reach" forwards and ride it for a season to see how it goes. Depending on the results I may be doing further forward mids next year.

I couldn't find Further Forward mids from HD in black, but I did find that V-Twin Manufacturing makes them for about 250 bucks. Good luck and please post pics if you do the swap!
Oh No ****! This is great info because I'm also not a fan of the chrome (I was actually planning on stripping the chrome and refinishing them in wrinkle or matte). I may look into the V-Twin as the harley ones are definitely pricey, and that's not even getting the finish I'd want.

Going to inspect this option. I will absolutely post my before and after, hopefully it can help folks out there with this same conundrum. It's just too bad that it's such a permanent swap. Meaning, it's no small chore to switch back to the forwards if for some reason it doesn't work out. But, f it, I wanna ride comfortably and its worth the risk

Old 01-17-2021 | 01:04 PM
R_Einan
Road Master

I put the further forward mids on my ‘99 DX and they made a big difference for me comfort wise at 6’3”. I got the kit from Harley and had the supports powder coated in wrinkle and the levers in gloss.

Old 01-19-2021 | 01:24 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

Went from Forwards to forward mids. Regulars mids will catch my pantlegs at times but do like them also. Well worth the time. Just get a manual and torque wrench’s ready. Not a hard job on a lift. Not a big fan of working on primary area on the ground.

Old 02-23-2021 | 09:56 AM
damager1
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by snake_eyes

I couldn't find Further Forward mids from HD in black, but I did find that V-Twin Manufacturing makes them for about 250 bucks. Good luck and please post pics if you do the swap!
I just was informed by VTwin Manufacturing that these black further forwards are backordered, probably not going to see them available until August. And I'm not waiting til then to get them haha

Going to go and find a chrome set and just have them powdercoated. Either from Harley or VTwin actually has chrome ones in stock.

I'll post pictures and whatnot as I go!

Old 02-23-2021 | 09:59 AM
damager1
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by R_Einan
I put the further forward mids on my ‘99 DX and they made a big difference for me comfort wise at 6’3”. I got the kit from Harley and had the supports powder coated in wrinkle and the levers in gloss.

These look amazing. This is exactly how I'm going to roll on mine I think. This to me would be even better than having them all gloss.

Old 02-25-2021 | 12:58 AM
610Low
Tourer

Originally Posted by damager1
I just was informed by VTwin Manufacturing that these black further forwards are backordered, probably not going to see them available until August. And I'm not waiting til then to get them haha

Going to go and find a chrome set and just have them powdercoated. Either from Harley or VTwin actually has chrome ones in stock.

I'll post pictures and whatnot as I go!
Where are you in the Northeast? I have a chrome 2014 low rider take off set just missing the shift lever. $275 shipped and ill hit you with a link to a cheap shift lever on eBay/

Old 02-25-2021 | 07:39 AM
damager1
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by 610Low
Where are you in the Northeast? I have a chrome 2014 low rider take off set just missing the shift lever. $275 shipped and ill hit you with a link to a cheap shift lever on eBay/
Just missed it! I ordered everything yesterday. I'm actually going to detail out in a new thread the process of going from Forward's BACK to Mids, as I have a lot of friends that've purchased Dyna's with forwards on them that want to convert back. Unfortunately, it's not a cheap / easy process. All told, it's going to cost me about $500, and that's NOT including the new primary case cover I had to purchase (that had a hole in it to facilitate the shifter shaft). That's going with the cheapest parts I can find, and then the necessities (miscellaneous but important items like the shifter shaft arm) I'm purchasing from Harley. Believe it or not, there IS no kit to do this.

Stay tuned I'm going to provide pics and info!

Old 02-26-2021 | 09:55 AM
High Mileage
Advanced

Originally Posted by OGJZ
Another option is police floorboards. Repop on e-bay. Don’t have to change primary. Sit high and tight. Keeps the vibes down on long runs.
Did you have to remove the primary to install the kit?

Quick Reply: "Further Forward" mid controls