Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Dyna project

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 02:15 PM
TimJ2110
Cruiser
Received 73 Likes on 27 Posts
Default My Dyna project

Hi and hello from Norway😊
Thought I would make a thread about my little project I’m working on.
Its a 1994 Dyna Lowrider, and was pretty sweet when I bought it.
it had some mods done already, the engine was beefed up with some domed KB pistons and a SE-57 camshaft.
Before picture:

Kind of liked the look of the bike, but not my style....
drove it like this for a season, and made it into this in one winter (the winter is long in Norway)

Rode it like this the summer of 2020, but wasn’t happy with the looks or the handling.
wanted a more tracker/street fighter style look, so I started gathering parts.
so this is how far I have come now....

I have done the following things to it:
- Complete Buell XB front end
- Bitubo piggyback shocks
- Saddlemen tracker tail
- Buell XB rear wheel
- Vance & Hines 2-1 upsweep exhaust

Still have a lot to do, like figuring out if I can use the belt or if I need to do a chain conversion....
Not so worried about the power, it’s more of an space issue and a aesthetic thing I guess🤔

The engine:
80cui Evo with KB domed pistons, SE-57 cam, and I’m putting on some ported heads with altered burnchamber for higher compression.
Im also fitting stiffer and bigger valve springs.
I would live to put a Super E carb on it, but not sure if the funding is there for that now....
so thinking of just re-jetting the cv carb for now...

Anyone care to guess/estimate how much HP and torque I can get?

Also, I would like to ad more downward angle on my swing arm.... It looks like the rear axle is in line with the swing arm pivot point, and that’s not what I would like.. Will it work to relocate the the mounting tabs on my swing arm forward?

The following 3 users liked this post by TimJ2110:
ajtwin (02-21-2021), Chicago Ken (12-16-2020), Paul-S (12-17-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 02:50 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 757 Likes on 523 Posts

Very, very cool! Amazing how much difference in looks those forks (and the tail/seat piece) make and from front to rear that is a great looking bike, congrats and good job

Not sure of the engine stuff you're doing but to pull numbers out of my *** I'm guessing 113hp/98tq.

The following users liked this post:
TimJ2110 (12-17-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 02:59 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,053 Likes on 667 Posts

The tail section really makes that bike a good looker. Number wise....I am guessing 90 torque with 85 hp

The following users liked this post:
TimJ2110 (12-17-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 04:31 PM
Garage Queen Rescue
Road Warrior
Received 9,643 Likes on 2,051 Posts

Very cool, that should handle and stop pretty good with the Buell front end.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:23 PM
TOE_CUTTER
Road Master
Received 288 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ2110

I have done the following things to it:
- Complete Buell XB front end
- Bitubo piggyback shocks
- Saddlemen tracker tail
- Buell XB rear wheel
- Vance & Hines 2-1 upsweep exhaust

Also, I would like to ad more downward angle on my swing arm.... It looks like the rear axle is in line with the swing arm pivot point, and that’s not what I would like.. Will it work to relocate the the mounting tabs on my swing arm forward?
It appears the forks are much shorter than stock, making the frame of the bike angle forward. If you look at your frame rails right under your cam chest, those rails appear to be angling about 6 degrees to the front of the bike.

Here is one of my early pics of my bike during construction:

The frame rails under the cam chest are angling up towards the front of my bike by 3 degrees. I have 14" rear shocks. You can definitely see the downward angle of the swingarm.

What is the length of your rear shocks?

Dave

Old 12-17-2020, 12:45 AM
TimJ2110
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TOE_CUTTER
It appears the forks are much shorter than stock, making the frame of the bike angle forward. If you look at your frame rails right under your cam chest, those rails appear to be angling about 6 degrees to the front of the bike.

Here is one of my early pics of my bike during construction:

The frame rails under the cam chest are angling up towards the front of my bike by 3 degrees. I have 14" rear shocks. You can definitely see the downward angle of the swingarm.

What is the length of your rear shocks?

Dave
Hi Dave,
The Bitubos are supposed to be 14,5", but they seem shorter then that i think...

But, the picture are not correct, the jack holds the tail end up, since i dont have the correct spacer for the Buell rear wheel... The wheel bearings are 30mm ID and the Dyna axle is 19mm.
So thats why i was thinking about relocating the shock mounting tabs to create more anti-squat.
Any thoughts of that idea?

Thanks for the comments guys

Old 12-17-2020, 09:43 AM
TOE_CUTTER
Road Master
Received 288 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ2110
Hi Dave,
The Bitubos are supposed to be 14,5", but they seem shorter then that i think...

But, the picture are not correct, the jack holds the tail end up, since i dont have the correct spacer for the Buell rear wheel... The wheel bearings are 30mm ID and the Dyna axle is 19mm.
So thats why i was thinking about relocating the shock mounting tabs to create more anti-squat.
Any thoughts of that idea?

Thanks for the comments guys
I am assuming you already took weight measurements and calculated your center of gravity. Once you get the rear axle in place, you can measure the static anti-squat and get the percentage. If you need more than 14.5" of shock length, you are going to start to run into belt/chain tension issues. Here is a product you can use to help if you use a chain:

https://bareknuckleperformance.com/p...hain-tensioner

In regards to moving the tabs on the swingarm, it will be better if you move the tabs on the frame. You can mount the shock more vertical and you will not be affecting the leverage ratio from the swingarm mounting centerline and the shock swingarm mount centerline. Moving the swingarm tab will upset the valving on your shock.

While you are custom making up the spacers in the back, it is a good time to centerline the rear wheel on the frame. Here is some good info on that:

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...-bike.1051908/

Finally, going with a chain is going to help with installing the 180mm rear tire. I'm assuming you are using a 5.5" wide rear rim.

Dave

Old 12-17-2020, 10:52 AM
TimJ2110
Cruiser

Thanks Dave:-)

I havent done any weight measurements yet, but will do so.
The thing is that i have cut my fenderstruts.... So its not an easy task to move the upper mount point for the shocks. Unless you have a idea on how i can do that:-)

The rear wheel is a stock Buell XB wheel, so not sure if its 5.5 or narrower...

Will for sure center the wheel:-) I was thinking of running a belt, and use the Buell belt tensioner, I have heard that this is a really good solution.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:04 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 757 Likes on 523 Posts

Here's something for you to consider if you haven't, relocating your coil to clear up the look and make your cylinders look like they are floating with nothing around them!

I found a way to put my coil in the little space under the seat, you'll have to cut your own spark plug wires which I don't think will be much of a challenge for you and it'll make your bike look like it lost 50lbs! Just food for thought!

Cheers

Old 12-17-2020, 11:19 AM
TimJ2110
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Here's something for you to consider if you haven't, relocating your coil to clear up the look and make your cylinders look like they are floating with nothing around them!

I found a way to put my coil in the little space under the seat, you'll have to cut your own spark plug wires which I don't think will be much of a challenge for you and it'll make your bike look like it lost 50lbs! Just food for thought!

Cheers

Hi,

thanks for the clever idea🙌🏻🙌🏻👍🏻 I am building a new harness using a M-unit, so was actually thinking of moving the coil🙌🏻👍🏻

Quick Reply: My Dyna project