Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am loving new Super Glide. Some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 05:45 PM
songsmith
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am loving new Super Glide. Some questions.

I know I said I was going to leave her just as she is, but. And we all have butts.

What length is the standard shock length for a 2007 Super Glide? We installed the Sundowner seat for two up riding and now the seat hieght is pretty well up there. I am tiptoe sometimes when on a hill. I do not want to be in danger of scraping on turns unless I am leaning way down there. On my Sportster someone before me had installed those trick 9 inch shocks and the scrap was awful.

Setting up for cruising and touring. I want to run her as low as I can without scraping.

Put windshield on her today and love it. Got the detachable larger touring windshield. Also installed rear pegs.

Should I do front end lower and rear shocks both? If so how short on rear shocks without scraping becoming common?

Thanks a lot.

Oh, gonna do the pipes and ac sometime soon. I guess we all end up that way.

Thanks

Tom

Old 07-29-2007, 05:57 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Am loving new Super Glide. Some questions.

How tall are you? I think that it is important for you to be flat footed on the bike, but I would just lower the bike enough to do just that. Like you said, scraping is a concern. Also, how often you scrape the pegs depends on your riding style. I scrape the pegs on my Wide Glide all of the time and I have it at stock height. I would lower it just enough to get your feet flat on the ground. That is if you are sold on that Sundowner and are not willing to look at a lower seat with is a much simpler solution than changing the ride height of the bike. If you don't ride too aggressively I would say that you should be able to lower it even more without scraping the pegs. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:37 PM
BULLDOG88
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the seat height OK before changing? If so, the tall seat may not be right for you.
Change seats before changing the suspension ( and geometry).

Old 07-29-2007, 07:58 PM
songsmith
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The seat height before the Sundowner was just great. The thing is wifey and I love to ride together most all of the time except for to work and back and both of us have backs that have been hurt before. The Sundowner is wonderful for comfort and makes it so much easier for us to ride.

I am 5'10 or so. I used to think I was long legged but not so sure anymore.

I do not ride that aggressively anymore at all. I prefer to cruise. I do a little of the twisties on the way to work but nothing that would require deep leaning or anything.

If I could lower a couple of inches in back and maybe the inch in front that should take care of it really well. Do you think a stock FXD can be lowered that much without scrape being a real problem?

Thanks to you all. I do adore that bike as does my wife.

Tom

Old 07-29-2007, 07:58 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know what the stock shock length is on your year, my 2004 had 12.5" shocks as the stock length. I hope that this helps.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:35 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

some seats are "tall-boys" for those with longer legs. you may have to have your seat customized for you. remember, if you lower your bike, you will change your lean angle and possibly bottoming out too soon.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:19 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock on mine are 12.75" eye center to eye center. I replaced them with 12" progressives, which lowered the seat 0.75". If I lower it any more, the bags will rub the pipes.