Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Like to Ride - How to choose Dyna vs Softail model?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007 | 07:36 AM
jrobert64
|
Stage IV
Default Like to Ride - How to choose Dyna vs Softail model?

Hello all, this is my first post. Today I'm primarily a goldwing rider (GL1800) and love the touring comfort and feature of it. I'm looking for a second ride to have fun on the back roads when I'm not taking off for a week long trip with my wife two up. Ireally like to ride so 150-250 miles days is pretty normal for me on weekends. I don't know how to go about determining what line would be the better bike for me. Comfort versus sportiness and having fun. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Jim Robert
Cumberland, RI

Old 07-29-2007 | 07:46 AM
Punty
Road Warrior
Default RE: Like to Ride - How to choose Dyna vs Softail model?

Welcome

I dont think that there are too many people here that are going to tell you to go out and geta softail, Seems that we are partial to Dyna's

I vote for The DYNA

FYI whatever you buy will not run as smooth as a goldwing
(see vibration threads)

Old 07-29-2007 | 07:47 AM
glide05
Road Warrior

Jim -
The answer you are going to get here is - rent them and try them out.
And this is certinly the correct answer - because only you can make the decision in the end.
Not about what others think - it's about what you think.

Lot's of good riding in your area.

Old 07-29-2007 | 07:50 AM
dynaguy
Cruiser

I myself ride about 200-250 miles on weekend also. I got a 07 Dyna Wide Glide. Have not ridden a Softtail. All i can tell you is that a Wide Glide is in one word FUN.Acceleration is flat out awsume. Hit a curve just roll on the throttle and it hangs .I guess what it comes down to is which one you like best. One more thing the Wide Glide is got the longest wheel base of the Harley bikes. So the ride is Good also.

Old 07-29-2007 | 07:57 AM
Biggol
Road Warrior

I'm a Wide Glide supporter for the comfort and the long sweeping turns. I think I'd enjoy the more agressive stance of the Street Bob too though for shorter runs.

I definately think you'd want a dyna over a softail. More agressive handling with a more comfortable ride.

Sftails look good, but after taking a spin on my buddys Springer, I think I'd stick with my suspension system any day.

Old 07-29-2007 | 08:01 AM
jcd15
Cruiser

I went through the same delemia.
All my friends ride soft tails (customs fat boys and night train)
I rode them all and loved them all .They just felt alittle top heavy to me.
The dyna it felt like I was sitting in the bike not
on it,that is the best way I can explain it.
good luck with your decision.

Old 07-29-2007 | 08:05 AM
Biggol
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: jcd15

I went through the same delemia.
All my friends ride soft tails (customs fat boys and night train)
I rode them all and loved them all .They just felt alittle top heavy to me.
The dyna it felt like I was sitting in the bike not
on it,that is the best way I can explain it.
good luck with your decision.
That's a good way to put it.

The weight tranferrence feels a little different on a softail (or at least a Springer vs a WideGlide). When on his and accelerating It felt as if the bike and I were going forward together moving me towards the front end making it feel top heavy.
On my Dyna, the torque plants me in the seat and gives me a good center of gravity.
And the difference when hitting bumps was night and day. Could be because of the Springer front end though. Wasn't nearly as much give as my DWG.

Old 07-29-2007 | 08:16 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member

Two words.... Street Bob... would be perfect for what you want to do with it.

Old 07-29-2007 | 08:30 AM
Ole Geezer
Cruiser

They only make 1 dyna wide glide for 08. As can be seen below I have an 05 Wide Glide. As to ride, well I been on a buds Standard bagger and he can have it. No where near as smooth riding as my dyna. My 05 has a 150 rear tire, the 08 Soft tail custom has a 200 (I believe). The narrower tire is going to be better for the curves then that TRUCK TIRE, lol.

As you cansee I am not a lover of WIDE/FAT tires on bikes. They belong on TRUCKS. lol

I will put near 20k on my Dyna this summer. Don't want no fugly bagger, lol. Baggers remind me of Colonel Klink and WW2 days. lol

Two weeks ago, in 3 days, I put 1780 miles on my Dyna. Did you say something about trips??? lol

Get what YOU like, We all have different tatses. As has been said, rent em and TRY em out. See which one ya like, then buy.

Ole Geezer

Old 07-29-2007 | 02:18 PM
soarer 1
Advanced

My 1st Harley was a 1998 Heritage Springer Softail. Felt top heavy, didnt handle very well, but was a fantastic cruiser, as long as you werent in a hurry.
My now Harley is a 2007 Dyna Superglide Custom, and it does everything the Softail didnt.
It handles, goes, feels lighter than the 308kgs it is, and is just a better bike all round.
It still is a fantastic cruiser, but it does it better.
You can change seats, bars to get the perfect setup to suit you.
One word of warning, find a buyer for your Goldwing, as you wont ride it if you buy a Harley!!

Quick Reply: Like to Ride - How to choose Dyna vs Softail model?