Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Stage1 Experience - 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:20 AM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Stage1 Experience - 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom

This week I did my Stage 1 upgrades to my 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom. Here's my experience for what it's worth. My motorcycle has 1,700 miles on it. Here's what I installed:

1. Vance & Hines Straightshots HS Slip-On mufflers (P/N: 16823)
2. Harley-Davidson Screaming Eagle Stage 1 Air Filter Kit for Dyna (P/N: 29773-02C)
3. Vance & Hines Fuelpak: (P/N:61005A)

The slip-on mufflers went on with no problem. Use WD-40 on theOEMmufflers where they slip onto the headpipes to help them slip off. Some wiggling around and a strap-wrench will get them off with no problem. Just be patient.Installation of the Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner kit was a snap. TheFuelpak was a pain in the *** only because the cables are short and very thick. Be patient here as well. It will go on. Remember to pull the diagnostic plug backthrough to the front side of the electrical box AFTER pulling the Vance and Hinesconnector through. Setting the values on the Fuelpak was a simple matter. It took me 2 or3 tries to calibrate the throttle.

Here are the results that I have experienced from this Stage 1 upgrade.

1. The sound is awesome.And the appearance is exactly what I wanted and very sleek. I wanted the original 2-into-2 look andthere's nothing wrong with theoriginal headpipes with the cross-over pipe.
2. Performance: There is a little more grunt in the bottom end (0-30 milesper hour) but I was suprised at how much more pull there was in the mid-range. Once I get over 35-40mph, the motorcycle pulls very strong in 4th, 5th and 6th gears. Before theStage 1 upgrade,4th, 5th and 6thgears didn't pull that strong.

Conclusion: I am very happy with this upgrade as it provided what Iexpected for the money spent. I got the Vance & HinesStraightshot slip-ons and Fuelpak from an eBay seller (American Motor Classics near Philadelphia) and I got the Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner Kit from another eBay seller, Lakeshore Harley-Davidson near Chicago.I could have paid hundreds of dollars more for a "full" Vance&Hines exhaust system and another hundreds of dollars more for a Harley-Davidson dealer to do a SERT for me, butto me, acouple more horsepower and/or a couple more of lb. ft. of torque weren't worth another $500 - $700.

I'll pull the plugs after running the Stage 1 for 500 miles to see their color. But with the provide Vance and Hines Fuelpak settings, there is only the occasional deceleration pop (in 4th gear for some reason) and once in a while there's a pop when roll-off the throttle to upshift after winding up 2nd or 3rd gear. Bike runs great.

Richard

Old 07-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Sal C
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Stage1 Experience - 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom

Hey Rich....same set-up as mine except I got the K/N air cleaner. The fuek=pak was a pain in the butt to get in!! I was going in and out of the house watching the video. I ended up velcroing the pak on the side of the elect cover, because I was going on a 3 day trip the next day. Since then, I have found out how to 'shoehorn' it in the proper way. I love mine, sounds great. My plugs did get a bit browner, not too much though. I'd like them to be darker, but........... I'll let well enuf alone. Glad you like yours. I've got 4,000 miles on my 07 Low Rider

Old 07-28-2007, 09:28 AM
rdondes
Road Warrior

Hi Sal- yes, the Fuelpak was a pain in the ***. The only thing I couldn't properly relocate was the small diagnostic plug. I pulled it through back to the front side, but there just wasn't enough slack with the Fuelpak in there to enable me to slide it back onto the little slip-connector. So the diagnostic plug just sits there - no harm done. It's available to any technician who needs to plug into it for diagnostics.

I am glad to hear you had the same experience as I. For the money spent, I got exactly what I was looking for. My next $$$ will be for forward controls. I paid for them at Harley-Davidson of Edison last Saturday and am awaiting their arrival so they can be installed.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

Hey Rich,
Also just bought a Super Glide Custom '07 a couple weeks ago! Awesome bike! Mine actually goes in for Vance & Hines Big Shot Staggereds on Monday of next week...can't wait! She already had about $1,600 worth of chrome already on her when I bought it (chrome lower forks, chrome outer primary, chrome levers, custom grips...ect). I already put on the chrome inner primary, chrome switch housings, chrome switch caps & chrome laydown plate bracket. Best of luck with yours man! Here's a couple pics of mine...

Old 07-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Bluesrider
Tourer

Dang! You guys have some badd a$$ bikes there!![sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 06-05-2008, 07:29 PM
magicbyswh
1st Gear

I am considering the Vance &amp\\; Hines Straightshots HS Slip-On mufflers (P/N: 16823)&nbsp\\; Can I just replace the stock and not do the following without a problem? Are these slip ons a little deeper and louder than the stock? Again can I replace my stock with&nbsp\\;these without doing the following?
Using the Harley-Davidson Screaming Eagle Stage 1 Air Filter Kit for Dyna (P/N: 29773-02C)&nbsp\\;and
&nbsp\\;adding the Vance &amp\\; Hines Fuelpak: (P/N:&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;61005A)

Old 06-05-2008, 08:22 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior

Magicbyswh,
&nbsp\\;
What year and model of motorcycle do you have?&nbsp\\; If you have&nbsp\\;a fuel injected big twin, you should be able to add the V&amp\\;H Straightshot Slipons by themselves with no problems.&nbsp\\; They are much louder than the stock slipon mufflers.&nbsp\\; But if&nbsp\\; you have the money, you should do the air cleaner and FuelPak as well.&nbsp\\; You will get a lot more torque in 4th, 5th and 6th gears.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Richard

Old 06-05-2008, 11:15 PM
sigmoid
Cruiser

I found the Stage I to be a waste of money, at least the way I ride. I had no improvement in performance and fuel economy dropped about 10 per cent (SE airbox and download). The biggest improvements came from slip ons and IED's. On the other hand I hardly ever rev over 3.5K so maybe I'm missing out on the performance gains.