Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Derby cover rant.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 01:18 PM
MovedtoSyracuse
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Derby cover rant.....

Indulge me while I rant for a moment. This may have been discuss, but I need to vent.

Shortly after I bought my Street Bob, my neighbor gave me his stock chrome derby cover that was on his Street Glide. So I take mine off, and notice immediately that his won't work with the stock gasket. Off to the dealership I go. I ask the parts counter moron about a gasket so that I could use that derby cover. He tells me that I can't use a derby cover off of a Touring bike on a Dyna. Sounded strange at the time....give the amount of time I spent leafing through the "Multi-fit" portion of the catalog, but I figure he should know more than a new owner.

I just ordered (and received) the Counterbore Billet Derby Cover today while I was at home on lunch. First thing I do is look at the back of it, then look at the instructions. The gasket needed for this derby cover would have worked with the one my neighbor gave me.

This brings me to my point.....why the Efff not just use one stupid gasket! Makes about as much sense as mounting the passenger pegs to the swingarm.

<end rant>

Old 07-25-2007, 01:28 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Derby cover rant.....

NO SCHIT!!![:@]

Old 07-25-2007, 01:36 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

It's the Moco bro..........they don't do alot of things part wise that make sense.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:48 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I asked the same question when I changed my derby cover, they sold me the frisbee looking gasket, said the o-ring stock gaskets from factory are hard to put back on so HD went with the frisbees, it was easy enough, mine is an '07 superglide, not sure, but most harley engines look about the same when I look at the derby cover. I had a dumb-a$$ parts guy at one place tell me I needed oa whole new ECM and remap and ***** when I was putting on slip-ons only! I am learnin' that HD parts guys don't always know their *****.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Ratbasturd
Road Master

That's why you tell them what you want and don't let them tell you what you need or can't use.

I run saddlebags off an 04SG bag support brackets and all went right on but a parts guy would have told me it wouldn't work.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:54 PM
MovedtoSyracuse
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Ratbasturd

That's why you tell them what you want and don't let them tell you what you need or can't use.

I run saddlebags off an 04SG bag support brackets and all went right on but a parts guy would have told me it wouldn't work.
In hindsight, I should have asked to see a gasket. I would have known right away.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:55 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Ratbasturd, can you give me more details on the saddlebags? I wanna put some on but don't want top do the taillight relocation thing. Are there any out there that will go on a '07 superglide?

Old 07-25-2007, 09:24 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could've gotten the part number for the gasket right off the Moco website. It's in the notes when you search for a derby cover for `06-up Dynas.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Sabaka454
Cruiser

If they new more than jack **** they'd be doing something other than selling parts for $14 bucks an hour. It's never their responsiblilty

Old 07-25-2007, 11:15 PM
hep0950
Tourer

It used to be that parts stores and people new their parts and what would work and what wouldn't, like the old hardware stores, but those days are gone. Most only now how to look up parts and some are not even good at that. Every once in a while you can find someone that actuall knows what the hell he's doing.

Quick Reply: Derby cover rant.....