Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the trick to remove derby cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:46 AM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 346 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Whats the trick to remove derby cover

I bought a few items for my new 07 street bob last week, I installed the exhaust, screamin eagle air cleaner and V&H fuel pack, I also bought a black finned derby cover, since you remove the derby cover to add oil I figured I would change the oil while im at it. I drained the oil, then went to remove the stock derby cover and I cant get the torx bolts to budge. I have broke 5 T27 torx bits so far, 1 craftsman 1 snap on and 3 husky and not one bolt will budge. I called the Harley dealer and they told me to drill them and use a easy out.
I cant believe they told me to do that, I cant move the bike because I already drained the oil.
Is there a trick to getting these bolts out, (yes I am loosening them, turning to the left).
Is this something that warranty will cover, I bought the bike new 3 weeks ago.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:54 AM
dmoore35_1999
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Whats the trick to remove derby cover

Something doesn't sound right. I replaced my derby cover in about 5 minutes, like you I used a T27 and had no problem. Sounds like maybe they are over torqued, or lock-tited down. I don't think drilling them would be a good answer, you may have to fill it up with oil and take it to the dealer. You should not loose any oil when you change the derby cover, if you do you've got to much oil. Make sure you buy the flat gasket, the o-ring type will not work with the replacement covers.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Motosportman
Cruiser

maybe a torx tip anda pnuematic motor ? Keep pressure in while turning or also try a impact wrench and a torx tip.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:57 AM
dog06bob
Tourer

you may want to carefully tap on the the rachet with a hammer while you try to turn it.. May require another set of hands. Another option is to try to tighten it slightly just to break it loose and then try to loosen it, sounds strange, I know, but some times this works. An impact driver may also work if you can find the right size torx bit for it. Good luck!

Old 07-25-2007, 10:02 AM
whylee
Road Warrior

I wish I could get oil back in, but you add the oil through the derby cover, I do have the new gasket for the cover. Im going to call my dealer again and talk to a manager because somethings not right, the cover on my sportster came right off. I believe they supposed to be tightned to 30 inch pounds.
I just dont have any way of moving the bike now. I did try a impact, The one you hit with a hammer but the bit broke.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:05 AM
jkelley
Tourer

I also had the same problem with only one bolt. I used a dremel tool and slotted it then removed it with an impact driver. The rest came out fine. By your posting you did use a quality (non-worn) T-27.
that is imperative.
Good Luck!

Old 07-25-2007, 10:08 AM
kerberos
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: whylee

I wish I could get oil back in, but you add the oil through the derby cover, I do have the new gasket for the cover. Im going to call my dealer again and talk to a manager because somethings not right, the cover on my sportster came right off. I believe they supposed to be tightned to 30 inch pounds.
I just dont have any way of moving the bike now. I did try a impact, The one you hit with a hammer but the bit broke.
Sounds like they were overtorqued at the factory. I was kinda forced to replace my derby cover after a droppage incident, and mine came right off.
If I understand correctly, the bits are breaking but the heads of the screws are not messed up? If that's the case, I'd not go the easyout route if it were me. Maybe try a better quality torx. Chase down a snapon truck =P

Or heat 'em up somehow (not sure how a torch would to with the chrome?)

wt.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:14 AM
whylee
Road Warrior

I used a snap on and craftsman, the heads are fine on the bolts so far, thats what im worried about, I dont want to damage them. Then I would really be screwed.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:24 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Seems to be common problem from the factory. I had to drill one out on a friends Sportster and two on my Dyna when it was new. When you finally do get them out, I recommend replacing with Allen head bolts and I use a little anti-sieze on the threads.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:30 AM
dog06bob
Tourer

try torquing the rest of the bolts to 108 inch pounds and then try loosening the bolt.

Quick Reply: Whats the trick to remove derby cover