Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scheduled Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 02:48 PM
RazorFXDB
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scheduled Maintenance

I'm coming up on 5k miles and need to get the bike serviced.

I was planning on taking it to the dealer, but I don't think I can afford it. My break in maintenance cost me $360 CDN.

I'm going to head to the dealer tomorrow to pick up some supplies. Can anyone tell me what I will need.?? I'm gonna pick up a copy of the service manual, but what about special harley tools?? And what fluids do I need? Should the primary and trans fluid be replaced??

Oh yeah, this is important too ... Will the service manual step methrough all of what I have to do????

Thanks for any input.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:03 PM
arkieollie
Tourer
Default RE: Scheduled Maintenance

Just did my own 5000 mile service. I picked up a kit of gaskets (around $9.00). It has the gaskets for tranny, oil, and two for the primary. I know, I know.... don't need to change all three at 5000 miles but I did because WHY NOT? Got 5 quarts of Mobile One, three for the engine and one a piece for the primary and tranny($8.23 a quart). Had to tighten the belt without a belt tension tool but my buddies brand new bike served as a template. GET A SERVICE MANUAL....it will be priceless. It helped with the belt procedure. Everything else is just check (if memory serves). My .02 and good luck

Old 07-24-2007, 04:48 PM
dirico1266
Tourer

I agree, do it yourself and buy the service manual. It is very easy. It does tell you all the parts you need and tools. Get a tork wrench and a motorcycle lift. I did not use the lift on the 1000 service but It would have been easier.

I manual will be 50-60$.. I don't think it matters if you do the primary or tranny fluid first.

Yes, the manual will walk you through.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:06 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need a couple of "special" tools - things the average car guy probably doesn't have handy.

A set of Torx bits
Small oil filter wrench
Inch/Pound torque wrench.

15W/20W-50 Oil of your choice. Use whatever car oil you like -easier to find and a lot cheaper.
H-D filter is good, K&N is probably better, but more expensive.

Skip the transmission and primary fluid change. Really isn't needed now. It won't hurt to do it, but if you're saving bux, don't bother. Don't skimp on service, but don't do un-necessary things, either.

If the bike is a year old or more, it's also time to lube the cables. I use a wax based motorcycle chain and cable lube.

The rest is just carefull inspection of everything to make sure it all looks good and feels good.