Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experiences t bars

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 09:04 AM
Bikejunky22
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Experiences t bars

I’m looking to do t bars on my 06 street bob. Either solid t bars or separate risers and bars. I’m ~5’6” roughly so I’m trying to decide on height. The stock mini apes on my street bob aren’t too high at all. I feel I could easily go another inch or 2. The ones I’m looking at so far are
1. Lucky daves lucky 13 or San diego
2. West coast Mx style or slingshot
3. la choppers kage fighter 2 piece
4. biltwell Tyson xl’s
5. forbidden risers with their Mx bars

the lucky daves are out of stock currently, west coast seems to take a while to ship and the slingshots are made to order, la choppers and biltwell are in stock and ready to go, forbidden option is 1-2 weeks out. Just curious on people’s opinions and experiences with any of these. Or any other options I’m not aware of. I impatient on waiting for parts so I won’t lie if I can get them quicker that’s a big plus in my book, even though I don’t need them in any sort of time frame

Old 05-12-2020, 09:22 AM
Harleylife1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 628 Likes on 512 Posts

When it comes to handlebars I always use and 100% recommend wild 1 chubbys. Been around longer than any of those companies and for good reason. give them a look. Safe travels brother.

The following 2 users liked this post by Harleylife1:
Bikejunky22 (05-12-2020), majorbison (05-16-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 09:28 AM
Craigny
Road Master
Received 383 Likes on 232 Posts

I just put MX style T bars on both my bikes this last week... I used the 12" Lucky Daves San Diego on my FXR and 10" pullback LA Choppers Kage Fighters on my Dyna....(see sig pic) The Lucky Daves San Diego are awesome top notch bars...absolutely love them, IMO they are better quality and the internal wiring of those was much easier. I went with the Kage fighters because they were 10" with a pullback and that was the height i was looking for and very similar look to the Lucky Daves....To note the LA Choppers ones showed a slight deviation on the top bar after mounting....not bad, maybe a couple of mm but enough that i'm wanting to eventually change them to lucky Daves as well, either a 10" San Diego or a 11" Lucky 13 pullback style....It was a bummer after having them installed and wired, its a cost to remove and replace even if they sent out any new ones if i made a stink, which i probably will......idk i am going to see if i can get over it. They feel good overall and look nice the bike handles fine but i know that there is a SLIGHT "offness" to the top and i cant unsee/unfeel that lol. Originally i thought i had bad bushings but even with another new set it slightly better but it was determined that the weld up top is a touch off, you can see it, if you're looking hard lol.... Not terribly happy with that, slight as it may be...i see you're thinking of the two piece anyway on those so it may be a non issue...anyway i was looking at West Coast too, but i do not have any information on them or forbidden. I've used Biltwell in the past and have always been happy with their stuff. IMO the Lucky Daves are the way to go, they are pricey but worthit in the long run. Good Luck!

Old 05-12-2020, 09:39 AM
Rapidfire1
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I run the forbidden risers and mx bars on my street bob. I'm 6ft tall and with the bars rolled up like a dirt bike my arms are pretty much stretched out as far as comfortably possible. I would consider a lower rise mx bar or a set of pullback risers at your height. Just remember that t bars and mx bars don't sweep backwards like the mini apes so even with the same heights you will be pulled much further forward.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:51 AM
Bikejunky22
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Craigny
I just put MX style T bars on both my bikes this last week... I used the 12" Lucky Daves San Diego on my FXR and 10" pullback LA Choppers Kage Fighters on my Dyna....(see sig pic) The Lucky Daves San Diego are awesome top notch bars...absolutely love them, IMO they are better quality and the internal wiring of those was much easier. I went with the Kage fighters because they were 10" with a pullback and that was the height i was looking for and very similar look to the Lucky Daves....To note the LA Choppers ones showed a slight deviation on the top bar after mounting....not bad, maybe a couple of mm but enough that i'm wanting to eventually change them to lucky Daves as well, either a 10" San Diego or a 11" Lucky 13 pullback style....It was a bummer after having them installed and wired, its a cost to remove and replace even if they sent out any new ones if i made a stink, which i probably will......idk i am going to see if i can get over it. They feel good overall and look nice the bike handles fine but i know that there is a SLIGHT "offness" to the top and i cant unsee/unfeel that lol. Originally i thought i had bad bushings but even with another new set it slightly better but it was determined that the weld up top is a touch off, you can see it, if you're looking hard lol.... Not terribly happy with that, slight as it may be...i see you're thinking of the two piece anyway on those so it may be a non issue...anyway i was looking at West Coast too, but i do not have any information on them or forbidden. I've used Biltwell in the past and have always been happy with their stuff. IMO the Lucky Daves are the way to go, they are pricey but worthit in the long run. Good Luck!
thank you for that! That does make me nervous with the la choppers now. Did you get the 1 piece or 2 piece version? I’m definitely having a tough time deciding. Lucky daves seem like the go to no issues ones, just more expensive.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:52 AM
Bikejunky22
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rapidfire1
I run the forbidden risers and mx bars on my street bob. I'm 6ft tall and with the bars rolled up like a dirt bike my arms are pretty much stretched out as far as comfortably possible. I would consider a lower rise mx bar or a set of pullback risers at your height. Just remember that t bars and mx bars don't sweep backwards like the mini apes so even with the same heights you will be pulled much further forward.
yeah I’ve seen some people around my height run 9” risers and the Mx bars without issue. I know I’ll be slightly more forward than the current mini apes. Ultimately I’d like my back fairly neutral (straight up and down) and not feel like I’m reaching too far forward or leaning too far back.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:04 AM
-DynaMike-
Supporter

Received 105 Likes on 49 Posts

I’ll be “that guy” and chime in for Westcoast T-Bars. I’ve had three sets of the 14” Slingshots. The curve of the top bar has a classic look I think. The wait on in stock bars wasn’t bad at all. Mr Scotty Grow makes an absolutely top notch product.
Another thing I’ll speak on experience of is on 10 May 2017, I put a set of 14” Slingshots to the ultimate test when I was hit head on at 55 mph. The car was at fault and it’s speed unknown. The bars held me when I hit the windshield. The paramedics and firefighters had to pick my bike up off of me (I didn’t drop my Dyna). The bars barely bent and no welds broke.

I’m 5’10” and a 14” is the perfect height for me. Just measure and find what’s comfortable. Above all, don’t test them the way I did. 👍

Old 05-12-2020, 10:06 AM
Bikejunky22
Cruiser

Originally Posted by -DynaMike-
I’ll be “that guy” and chime in for Westcoast T-Bars. I’ve had three sets of the 14” Slingshots. The curve of the top bar has a classic look I think. The wait on in stock bars wasn’t bad at all. Mr Scotty Grow makes an absolutely top notch product.
Another thing I’ll speak on experience of is on 10 May 2017, I put a set of 14” Slingshots to the ultimate test when I was hit head on at 55 mph. The car was at fault and it’s speed unknown. The bars held me when I hit the windshield. The paramedics and firefighters had to pick my bike up off of me (I didn’t drop my Dyna). The bars barely bent and no welds broke.

I’m 5’10” and a 14” is the perfect height for me. Just measure and find what’s comfortable. Above all, don’t test them the way I did. 👍
very sorry to hear about your accident but glad your were ok! When I called them the other day they said 3 weeks... I just don’t want to wait that long lol. If I found something equally as good and could get it sooner that’s what I was thinking. I have no preference on any of them from a style perspective. But I also can’t put them all on the bike and pick favorites either.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:24 AM
Craigny
Road Master
Received 383 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikejunky22
thank you for that! That does make me nervous with the la choppers now. Did you get the 1 piece or 2 piece version? I’m definitely having a tough time deciding. Lucky daves seem like the go to no issues ones, just more expensive.
No problem. I had the one piece, like I said I love the way they look but i'm not too stoked about the defect. I reached out to the vendor I purchased from, waiting to hear back. Love the Lucky Daves...

Old 05-12-2020, 10:27 AM
610Low
Tourer
Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts

Biltwell Murdocks have never failed me. About to do a set on my 2nd bike this week. Pair them in any size with just about any bar and you'll be able to find what size fits you. Start with an 8" riser and then go up from there. I found at 6'3" a 10" riser and bar combo is right about where I need to be. The set im putting on this week will be my first try at pullbacks.

The following users liked this post:
shiftace (05-12-2020)

Quick Reply: Experiences t bars