Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone sand the shiny out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:44 PM
expy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone sand the shiny out?

I am liking Red Denim. I wonder if I use a 2000 grit sandpaper on my Fire Red Pearl I could come close to that look. Just hard to do when there is only 800 miles onthe odometerand me with no paint and body knowledge. I thought about trying the under side of the front fender but still am gutless.

[IMG]local://upfiles/34119/CB18D359A04444E0AF578331656F5D29.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone sand the shiny out?

Continue to be gutless.....here's the scoop.
If you merely scuff the surface, even with a fine grit wet sand, you will merely be producing a "milky" type appearance and loose a lot of the depth of that color. A buddy of mine has that color on his bike and it is so deep you will lose a lot of that quality if you scuff the gloss out. There is something you may consider....
There are brands of clear soat that are obviously high gloss, right? Well there are also certain additives that can be added to clear coat systems to produce low, medium and satin finishes. Of course you would have to pull the metal, scuff them for adhesion, and then shoot them with said clear system.
There is really no shortcut to getting that "denim" look out of a high gloss factory finish.
I know it may not be what you wan to hear, but sleep on what you want to do and maybe save the job for a winter project shoudl you choose to go with a duller finish-coat.
Regards

Old 07-21-2007, 10:00 PM
expy
Road Captain

I knew it couldnt be easy. Thanks for laying it out clear. I am cooling to the whole idea quickly of trying anything myself. Just need to save up for the pros to do it right.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

I paint for a living....not sure where you're from, but I could do it for you if you get the itch. I am in Cleveland Ohio suburb. By the way, I dig the satin look, too. I was tired of looking at my ugly paint job on the 99 Wide Glide I bought a month ago and got up at 8 am this morning with a wild hair and 11 hours later the whole thing was torn down, stripped, painted satin black and is gooing to go back together in the morning a whole new bike.....This hobby of ours is an addiction, I do believe. Can never leave good enough alone, right?
Later......

Old 07-21-2007, 10:22 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, I am scared to think what I would do if I knew how to paint!!!

Old 07-21-2007, 10:28 PM
expy
Road Captain

Oklahoma here. Just dont know which direction Im going to go but something is going to change. Half the fun is thinking on these things.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

Copy that my friend......

Old 07-21-2007, 10:41 PM
BlueBob
Cruiser

Are you nuts? Why dont you just take a claw hammer and gouge it up? Why do you want to wreck a beautiful paint job for the dull, drab look? I dont get it.[]

Old 07-21-2007, 10:47 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

hope you have a back up plan. just get your bike repainted, then you know it is what you want. jackyl

Old 07-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

BlueBob...
I agree with you in regard to expy's bike. His really looks good with a high gloss on it, but mine....that was a whole other story. I bought it from a fella who thought that pinstriping bright yellow flames and bright yellow stripes around the fenders on top of the factory lazer red would look cool. It was hideous. Plus I am a hot rod / rat rod guy anyhow so the satin look was the way to go for me...for now any way, till next week when I get another wild hair.......

Quick Reply: Anyone sand the shiny out?