Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2020 | 01:04 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default Dyna vs Sportster

Not in a power contest or showdown, but as bikes overall. Is the Dyna just a BT version of a Sportster?

I want a touring bike, but at 5'5" Or so (now, used to 5'7") with a 29" inseam, I wonder if the touring bikes will be to difficult to handle maneuvering to park. Not the actual rolling part, even slow speed I think I will be fine that way. Rather more like backing in parking spaces etc. if its a little uphill, which I try to avoid, the touring bikes are a lot of bike to push around.

For the record I will be 67 in a month or so, and weigh 180, and in decent shape.

Old 03-22-2020 | 01:15 PM
pgrchaplain
Road Captain

I have 2 Friends, neither one made it to 5'5" ( I call them Smurfs) They both ride Ultra Low Models. A Sportster is Unit Construction, Dyna is a Big Twin, Go for the Dyna!

Old 03-22-2020 | 01:36 PM
robarosa
Road Master

The Harley Davidson shops around here have a mix of new / used and in all models. Check them out to see if they are not to heavy. You will notice a difference in traffic. I'm your age and unless you plan on a lot of touring, your current bike looks nicely setup. Dyna's are nice step up.

Old 03-22-2020 | 01:36 PM
Graham UK
Tourer

I had a Sportster Custom and switched to a 2015 Dyna Low Rider, which has a much lower centre of gravity and is much easier for me to handle when parking. It's a heavier bike but it feels lighter, and the power delivery is smoother too at low suburban speeds.

The following 4 users liked this post by Graham UK:
Biter (02-17-2021), JayStronghawk (03-28-2020), ScottsSloRyder (03-29-2020), SGJim (02-08-2021)
Old 03-22-2020 | 02:15 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I have ridden big twins, one a 2019 SGS, and the other a full on custom, with a 106" engine, that felt and handled like my sportster, only heavier, and a LOT more powerful. The SGS was a 20 mile test ride from a local dealer, and frankly the worst part of that ride was backing up, mainly due to the width at the clutch pak.

I am sure the personalities of the Dyna vs Sportster, are a lot different. I even wondered about a switchback but those saddlebags look tiny compared to, say a Road King or other touring bike, My reason for a touring bike is to occasionally tour, with the wife. That said, our tours would most likely be a few days ride, tops. So something with side bags, and would like a detachable tour pak. That was one reason I rode the SGS. It, would need a better seat and tour pak, of course. Then there is the Road King, but I think I would prefer the fairing vs the windshield. No plans on removing windshield, so that is not an issue. Have ridden both ways, and prefer the wind brake vs naked, and prefer the fairing over windshield.

The Road King would also need what the SG would need, with possible exception of different seat.

What year did HD stop making Dynas? I use my saddlebags nearly every time I ride, so those are a must. That is why they are on the sporty as well. Even thought about a tour pak for the sporty and just keeping it, but a little more seat room would be nice.

Is there more seat room, for 2 up, on a Dyna vs the Sportster?

Old 03-22-2020 | 02:19 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Graham UK
I had a Sportster Custom and switched to a 2015 Dyna Low Rider, which has a much lower centre of gravity and is much easier for me to handle when parking. It's a heavier bike but it feels lighter, and the power delivery is smoother too at low suburban speeds.

I assume that was a pretty easy transition too, since the low rider is almost a copy, with a bigger engine. This was the custom I rode. Logged sbout 120 miles on it.

The following users liked this post:
Chicago Ken (04-06-2020)
Old 03-22-2020 | 03:15 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

An FXDL would be a great option.. Low seat height and easy to maneuver...

fxdup (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020 | 05:59 PM
TOE_CUTTER
Road Master

I know you posted this on the Dyna forum, but you should be giving the new Softail a hard look, especially the Low Rider S. Another option is the Honda Goldwing for touring. The Goldwing feels lighter than the Dyna. Again, I know, blasphemy, but if you ride....

Dave

cliffd (02-15-2021)
Old 03-22-2020 | 06:59 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I have both bikes, the best way to sum it up is: when riding the Sportster you sit ON it, when riding the Dyna you sit IN it. If you plan on taking any trips, you will enjoy the Dyna. The power band is different with the big twin. It just feels better. You feel more like being a part of the bike. That is at least my take on it. YD

The following 2 users liked this post by Yankee Dog:
Bluesrider.df (04-20-2020), cliffd (02-15-2021)
Old 03-22-2020 | 07:49 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Yankee dog
A friend of mine in TN has an older softtail, and that was how he described it too. He also has a 2000 sportster, but like the softtail better and plans on selling the sportster.

Toecutter

I am really not opposed to other brands, totally, BUT when I looked into a Goldwing, finding out the clutch is in the back of the engine, and that its supposed to remove the engine to replace it. Thst was a deal breaker for me. Also that it takes about an hour to replace the air filter.

Quick Reply: Dyna vs Sportster