Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2021 | 03:28 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Elwaupo
In my opinion, the suspension sucks. I upgraded the forks and the rear to progressive, helped but not much. I can live with it but I’m sure the Street Glide, Ultra Glide and the upper models have much better suspension but you have take in account that the Dyna was really meant as a solo bike as far as I’m concerned. I love mine and my wife and I both ride on it and love it but if we’re to take a long trip I would ride it solo. 😎👍
On the freeway, yes the Ultra is a ton better, as far as ride goes, but in cities and back country roads with pressure ridges, not so much. You don't feel the real small stuff, like the sportster did, stock, but the bigger bumps will still launch you if not prepared for them.

The following users liked this post:
cliffd (02-15-2021)
Old 02-07-2021 | 04:39 PM
Elwaupo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by handirifle
On the freeway, yes the Ultra is a ton better, as far as ride goes, but in cities and back country roads with pressure ridges, not so much. You don't feel the real small stuff, like the sportster did, stock, but the bigger bumps will still launch you if not prepared for them.
You’re right, freeway is fine but mine doesn’t handle the bumps very well, I think more suspension travel would greatly help. Hey, I know Pozo Saloon!

Old 02-07-2021 | 07:53 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Well if you have ridden pozo road to the saloon, and then taken Park Hill road back out, you have ridden past my house. Green farmhouse sits about 100yds back off Park Hill, with a huge eucalyptus tree in front.

Old 02-07-2021 | 10:47 PM
Elwaupo
Cruiser

I’m sure I have ridden past your house

Old 02-07-2021 | 10:49 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Yea, and I put 1" lowering blocks on mine, to compensate for the stubby legs, lol, but have been thinking, lately, of taking them off. I can flat foot the bike now, with my leather riding boots on. With others, not quite as easily. But have been wondering if the shocks back to original position, migh ease the bumps a bit.

DK Customs, that I got them from, says the 1" blocks actually soften the ride. Not sure. Now that I have almost a year with the bike, it will be a better comparison. Plus I am thinking narrower seat, and, narrow profile primary cover, might be a better way to go.

I am definitely, NOT a suspension guru, so it will be a seat of the pant comparison. Park Hill road is ideal to test this. Rough as s cob.

Old 02-07-2021 | 11:01 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Nearest roads are Little Quail, and La Entrada. Honk, next time you go by. Pozo Saloon, is open Fri, Sat, and Sundays lately.

Old 02-08-2021 | 11:24 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Big jump from a Sportster, congrats.. I recently purchased a 2013 Street Bob and I must say it's as low as my 98 Fatboy but easier to push around if necessary.. ride safe..

Old 02-08-2021 | 11:56 AM
Pianoman18
Tourer

I own both as well: 2019 48 Special and 2017 Wide Glide. I bought the Dyna to upgrade since I was only getting about 50 miles on the 48 before I had to get off and stretch. But I take small trips anyway, never more than 100 miles from home. Well, they couldn't be different.

Sportster - total visceral experience, you feel everything, control everything, sense everything. If you are into motor and man being one machine, the feel and sound of wind, gears, engine revs, and quick and nimble handling, the Sporty is it. Quick brakes, light turning, and awesome control. You think it , she does it. Kind of reminds me more of snowmobiling or driving a classic car or truck where you are in control of everything.

Dyna - heavy but wears it well. Handles excellent for its size and easy to maneuver and control so don't let the weight scare you, it just does things much slower. Easy to upright and steer low speed. Lacks visceral feel, has a little shake at idle but no vibes once driving, rides like a cloud. Takes longer to brake, steering input is slower, suspension is softer, likes to dive when braking and squirrel in turns. However, the suspension is better at cruising speeds, of course. Haven't even taken any longer rides with it yet. Forwards are easy to reach at 5'9" but the pegs suck. Needs floorboards badly. If you plan longer rides, the Dyna or a Softail is your ticket.

If you want calm, comfort, and stability, get the Dyna. If you want fun, tactile, and great performance, get the Sporty. It's really hard to explain without showing you, though. They might "seem" similar on paper, but really ride completely different to me. Sporty rides "tight" while the Dyna rides "soft." Anyway, you'll have to experience both yourself. I thought I'd easily want to sell the 48 after bringing home the Dyna since it was supposed to be an "upgrade." Well, the Dyna is for sale instead. Just not enough improvement for me. The Sporty is just an awesome, real, and old school experience. I love it. Feels like I'm doing something and not just riding in an open top cage.

Old 02-08-2021 | 12:26 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Pianoman
Excellent description of the sporty, and I agree. As for the replacement, see above, since I got the '14 Ultra Classic the dyna is off the table.

98hotrodfatboy,

Yup, big jump. Am loving this bike, but it is a handful in parking lots. Not being a big guy it has taken me some time and a bit of a learning curve. I have only sat on the fatboys, on showroom floor, and especially at my height, it felt great. Not sure how long of a ride I could take on it. But hey, I did about 350 in one day, on my 1200L so am sure one could easily do that on a new softtail.

I really considered a Heritage, but after talking to folks that toured much, and had tried the Heritage first, they said the Ultras were so much better suited for that. I have to admit, I am not sure I could do without the tour pak, even now. I use my bike for all kinds of shopping trips. I can put a ton of groceries in those bags, lol. I do not own any vehicle for one express purpose. I have one family member, that has a '12 Ultra Limited, with only like 16K on it. He only takes it on yearly tours. Not knocking him or anyone like that, its just not who I am. I would not buy a Corvette, even if I had the money, because its good only for one thing. Thats just not me.

So, the Ultra has worked out excellent in that respect. It is top heavy, for stubby legs, but I am learning how to compensate.

Old 02-08-2021 | 01:00 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Glad to hear it all worked out for you... Just goes to show how much we can adapt too any situation...

Quick Reply: Dyna vs Sportster