Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020 | 01:45 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Dynas are "heavy cruiser" vs "Touring" it is a different class of bike.

The following users liked this post:
crusader1xxx (04-14-2020)
Old 04-07-2020 | 03:19 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Yea I kinda figure Dynas as overgrown sportsters. As I mentioned, I started off looking for a touring bike, but wondered if the dyna would fill the bill for less money. I am sure it would, but not as well, which is probably the way HD designed them to be.

cliffd (02-15-2021)
Old 04-14-2020 | 09:03 AM
David Earl Cox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by handirifle
Not in a power contest or showdown, but as bikes overall. Is the Dyna just a BT version of a Sportster?

I want a touring bike, but at 5'5" Or so (now, used to 5'7") with a 29" inseam, I wonder if the touring bikes will be to difficult to handle maneuvering to park. Not the actual rolling part, even slow speed I think I will be fine that way. Rather more like backing in parking spaces etc. if its a little uphill, which I try to avoid, the touring bikes are a lot of bike to push around.

For the record I will be 67 in a month or so, and weigh 180, and in decent shape.
I just gave my ‘08 XL1200 to one of my stepsons after picking up a second Dyna as by backup scoot, an ‘04 FXDLI to go along with my ‘13 FXDC. I find the Dynas easier to handle in parking lot scenarios, although obviously heavier, but very stable and easy to maneuver. The Sportsters are much more nimble and a blast to ride, but not as comfortable for me on longer trips. The Dynas rule there.

I’m just days away from 64, by the way.

Old 04-14-2020 | 01:57 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I just test drove a private party '12 Ultra yesterday, and getting back on my sportster after, felt like a bicycle.

The following 2 users liked this post by handirifle:
cliffd (02-15-2021), fxdup (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020 | 11:01 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master

Your comparing apples to oranges to bananas...each model line is completely separate from each other in both build, style and function...with function being the biggest difference.

Two questions you need to ask yourself, how long do you plan on riding, and how many miles will you realistically do in a riding season...the bike for you might be the bike you already have...especially when money gets tight.

Old 04-14-2020 | 11:13 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Nah, if we ride 2 up it will be another bike. No way do I want to do a 2-300 mile day, 2 up, on a sportster. Solo, sure no issue with my bike, but I really don't want to tour solo, I want the wife along.

The REAL question, is will the 2 up rides be long enough to warrant an Ultra, or would something like a switchback do the trick? Thats my $50,000 dollar question.
I could easily get a switchback, and drop the sportster, but if I go with an Ultra, not sure I want to lose the sportster.

Old 02-06-2021 | 07:52 PM
Elwaupo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Brad4321
handirifle - Directly comparing the suspensions of both bikes is difficult because of the way I have them setup and the miles on the dyna (nearing 75k). The sportster is stock, down to the stock shocks, but my superglide is not as I changed out the rear shocks a while back. From what I can vaguely remember the superglide was quite a bit softer in the rear (needed much higher spring rate)....and that is why I changed them. With the wife on the back we were bottoming out the suspension nearly all of the time and it would bottom often with just me. I went the cheap route with air shocks off a touring bike, changed to thicker oil, and run 25psi solo and 40psi loaded and she does much better, but we are still sagging more than I would like. With either bike properly setting sag is a challenge (or impossible) with the stock shocks. Admittingly, I could lose a few pounds as well (or 80). The lighter your load the better both bikes will feel, for sure.

To answer your question best I can, the dyna did feel softer than the sportster, but that wasn't a good thing. Both bikes have very little suspension travel in the rear and have crappy shocks and desperately need an upgrade. With a standard rebuild of the forks and thicker oil, I am satisfied there on both bikes.

In response to a few other people, the dyna does have more room, especially for a passenger, and that is why we got it, probably should have mentioned that earlier. The sportster was too cramped for the wife when she road with me. I didn't have any issues with the sportster solo. The stock 883 is no powerhouse 2up; it got us where we wanted to go, but I was eyeing the 1250 kit. We didn't need the big twin and I have no intention of upgrades for more power, even though it is an 88.
In my opinion, the suspension sucks. I upgraded the forks and the rear to progressive, helped but not much. I can live with it but I’m sure the Street Glide, Ultra Glide and the upper models have much better suspension but you have take in account that the Dyna was really meant as a solo bike as far as I’m concerned. I love mine and my wife and I both ride on it and love it but if we’re to take a long trip I would ride it solo. 😎👍

cliffd (02-15-2021)
Old 02-06-2021 | 09:16 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Well I solved the issue, in late April, I bought the 2014 Ultra Classic in my Avatar. Sooo much better, and really, I ride it everywhere I rode the sportster. Its just a matter of me getting used to the bigger bike. All is good now.

The following 2 users liked this post by handirifle:
cliffd (02-15-2021), Garage Queen Rescue (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021 | 07:25 AM
Elwaupo
Cruiser

Good upgrade 👍😁

Old 02-07-2021 | 03:25 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by David Earl ***
I just gave my ‘08 XL1200 to one of my stepsons after picking up a second Dyna as by backup scoot, an ‘04 FXDLI to go along with my ‘13 FXDC. I find the Dynas easier to handle in parking lot scenarios, although obviously heavier, but very stable and easy to maneuver. The Sportsters are much more nimble and a blast to ride, but not as comfortable for me on longer trips. The Dynas rule there.

I’m just days away from 64, by the way.
Hey David..We must be Neighbors..I'm at sugarloaf and Five forks

Last edited by Blue Bob; 02-07-2021 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Dyna vs Sportster