Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020 | 08:44 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Ok so it would be starting from scratch, thanks.

Old 04-05-2020 | 06:49 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Default Sportster Vs Dyna

I think I can help answer this I've owned 11 sportsters and 5 dynas in my time. Set up right a 1200 rubber mount Sportster will do anything you want to do . My personal favorite was the 06 1200 custom installed progressive shocks and springs for front forks . I currently own an 08 streetbob it's a great bike but it has nothing over a 1200 Sportster. One thing is a Evo Sportster is super reliable none of the problems associated with a twin cam big twin .

Old 04-05-2020 | 07:30 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

razorbackrules

Thanks but it seems like you are addressing the power? Actually I was happy with the power when 2 up rather its seating room I am more concerned with. I considered the dyna because its weight and handling were SIMILAR to the sporty. For solo I have no need to replace the sportster.

Old 04-05-2020 | 07:53 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master

Originally Posted by handirifle
razorbackrules

Thanks but it seems like you are addressing the power? Actually I was happy with the power when 2 up rather its seating room I am more concerned with. I considered the dyna because its weight and handling were SIMILAR to the sporty. For solo I have no need to replace the sportster.
Well at your size there should be plenty of room . I'm 6'2 190lbs my wife is 5'7 140lbs we rode multi state rides on Sportsters and would do it again . We I said my Streetbob has nothing on a Sportster I was talking about more than just power. Have you been on the XL forum ? All your questions will be answered there.

Old 04-05-2020 | 08:57 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Default Pic

Originally Posted by razorbacksrule
Well at your size there should be plenty of room . I'm 6'2 190lbs my wife is 5'7 140lbs we rode multi state rides on Sportsters and would do it again . We I said my Streetbob has nothing on a Sportster I was talking about more than just power. Have you been on the XL forum ? All your questions will be answered there.
This is one of my last Sportsters an 08 1200r . Wish I had kept this one 1200r with 4.5 gallon tank where only made one year.

The following users liked this post:
Graham UK (04-06-2020)
Old 04-05-2020 | 09:06 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

So you went on multi state rides, 2 up on sportsters? Mind you I am not speaking hypothetically, on space, we have ridden quite a lot on mine 2 up, I want (need) more room. I am 5'5"-5'6" and weigh 180 so you are a bit more "stretched out" than me, lol. I will not comment on wifes weight.

The following users liked this post:
cliffd (02-15-2021)
Old 04-05-2020 | 09:11 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

For the record, my main leaning is toward a true touring bike, I started this thread for comparative input, due to the lower weight of the dyna platform, and lower cost. Ideally it will be an ultra or road king, for space, storage, etc, but the weight and "getting my feet on the ground" are real concerns.
A Street Glide would be a fair alternate, but would require a new seat, new pass pegs (she does not like the pegs, wants platform) and possibly a tour pak, depending on how far we would venture out.

Old 04-06-2020 | 03:18 AM
Billyhog
Cruiser

I got a 2016 Street Bob last year and I was surprised that it is actually more nimble then my 2013 Sportster Custom. The Dyna vibrates a bit more at nimble to say the truth.
I think the handling is down to the forward thinner wheel, and the Chubby T-bars I installed on the FXDB. Still on the negative I have forward controls on the Dyna which stretch me more then the forwards I have on the Sportster.
Street Bob is Stage One, I have not staged the Sportster. In highway the sixth gear make things easier. Breaks are better on the Sportster but Street Bob has ABS.

Old 04-06-2020 | 07:24 AM
Brad4321
6th Gear

handirifle - For comparison against razorbacksrule's experience, my wife is also my height and our combined load is near 500lbs before we add any luggage. On the sportster, we ran out of seat, but also her legs were in her chin. Our different experiences there are most likely due to this.

One must also consider that opinions in this thread are of different years of bikes. I have compared a solid mount sportster to a carbed 88. Quite a few opinions here are from newer bikes which will give a different feel, whether bigger engine, 6 speed, or rubber mounted. My sportster will rock back and forth an inch as it idles and vibrates bolts loose. That is what I consider a true Harley.

One simple way to compare power differences is power vs weight. Take a stock 88 fxd wet weight 660lbs/70hp for 9.4lbs/hp. For my 883 sportster, 579lbs/53hp for 10.9lb/hp. Power and weight numbers vary, so input in your favorite here. For comparison, a 2000 Civic EX Sedan weighs in at 2562lb and 127hp for 20.2lb/hp. Even once you add our 500lb combined weight our power to weight is 16.6lb/hp, still considerably better than a standard civic. One can compare torque or any other measure they like here in place of these numbers. In the end, a loaded stock dyna or loaded sportster will not be fast, but will be faster than the standard economy car of the same era as my bikes.

I also cruise 70-80 and don't have issues. Roll on power isn't impressive at that speed, but how much faster do I really want to go? Granted, I have not literally went up the rockies, but on normal roads including hills and passing through the mountains I have been fine.

If you are considering a touring bike, do it. I didn't give any opinions on touring bike since this was about sporter vs dyna, but after test riding a few different models, I want one bad. I tried my best initially to avoid buying a touring bike as I do ride aggressive solo (still own sportbikes after all) and I was concerned that the handling of the touring would bore me. I shouldn't have been as the bit extra room on the touring is awesome and they are surprisingly nimble. While I am still fighting it, I may trade the dyna in for a touring model eventually. With bags, quick detach trunk, and windshield....my superglide is a baby road king already!

Riding styles next to physical size will make the biggest difference in what makes you happy. I have a cruiser to cruise. I am not sure I have ever even taken the superglide full throttle or above 3k, really don't think I have. I have ground the pipes so thin I have to replace them now, however (pipes hit first on my bike). If you want to ride aggressively in acceleration, well, the 88 will be a huge disappointment to you solo or 2up. The 96 will be too. It will take a lot of mods to keep up with your average 600 in acceleration and lean angle. I am not big on speed or popping wheelies, that attracts the flashing lights which I don't want. However, I do not believe in slowing down for turns....wastes fuel .

The wife got her motorcycle license last year and has laid claim to the sportster. Even though we will start riding separate, I am still drooling over a road king for cruising solo. The differences can be subtle, but once you ride one, there is a comfort difference, especially at my size and weight. Not suddenly hating on the superglide, not at all, but we all know bigger is better!

Old 04-06-2020 | 12:31 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Brad
Thanks, this has been a road of learning for me. I want a bigger bike than the budget can handle, thus was looking at Dynas, and not slighting them at all, but they are not touring bikes. A mid point would be a softail or Heritage, but I am afraid I would still not be happy.

Do not test ride the new bikes, you will be ruined. I test rode a 2019 SGS, and the absolute only criticism I had, was didn't like the paint color, and windshield was too short. This thing had the M8-114 and I could not believe the power. At 80 on the freeway (for your reference) I rolled the throttle, and it pulled harder than my sportster, at nearly any road speed.

I will keep on looking.

Quick Reply: Dyna vs Sportster