Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020 | 03:52 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Are the rear quick detach points on a Dyna the same width apart as a sportster, or wider? In other words would a quick detach sissy bar work on either bike without mods?

Also are the forks, on say a Dyna Low Rider the same width as a sportster or wider? I believe those fork tubes are 39mm as well, correct?

Old 03-29-2020 | 05:52 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TOE_CUTTER
I know you posted this on the Dyna forum, but you should be giving the new Softail a hard look, especially the Low Rider S. Another option is the Honda Goldwing for touring. The Goldwing feels lighter than the Dyna. Again, I know, blasphemy, but if you ride....

Dave
if he wants something for touring he should look at the 2018+ Heritage Softail.

If the windshield isn't to his liking it's pretty easy to add an aftermarket batwing.

Old 03-29-2020 | 07:46 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes, there's slightly more room for 2, on a Dyna, compared to a Sporty. Of course, the best way to evaluate a candidate is to rent a dyna.

Old 03-30-2020 | 06:12 AM
jackddg22
Road Captain
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by handirifle
Are the rear quick detach points on a Dyna the same width apart as a sportster, or wider? In other words would a quick detach sissy bar work on either bike without mods?

Also are the forks, on say a Dyna Low Rider the same width as a sportster or wider? I believe those fork tubes are 39mm as well, correct?
The quick detach points are the same. And the forks should be the same also.

Old 03-31-2020 | 06:28 AM
Brad4321
6th Gear

handirifle - Directly comparing the suspensions of both bikes is difficult because of the way I have them setup and the miles on the dyna (nearing 75k). The sportster is stock, down to the stock shocks, but my superglide is not as I changed out the rear shocks a while back. From what I can vaguely remember the superglide was quite a bit softer in the rear (needed much higher spring rate)....and that is why I changed them. With the wife on the back we were bottoming out the suspension nearly all of the time and it would bottom often with just me. I went the cheap route with air shocks off a touring bike, changed to thicker oil, and run 25psi solo and 40psi loaded and she does much better, but we are still sagging more than I would like. With either bike properly setting sag is a challenge (or impossible) with the stock shocks. Admittingly, I could lose a few pounds as well (or 80). The lighter your load the better both bikes will feel, for sure.

To answer your question best I can, the dyna did feel softer than the sportster, but that wasn't a good thing. Both bikes have very little suspension travel in the rear and have crappy shocks and desperately need an upgrade. With a standard rebuild of the forks and thicker oil, I am satisfied there on both bikes.

In response to a few other people, the dyna does have more room, especially for a passenger, and that is why we got it, probably should have mentioned that earlier. The sportster was too cramped for the wife when she road with me. I didn't have any issues with the sportster solo. The stock 883 is no powerhouse 2up; it got us where we wanted to go, but I was eyeing the 1250 kit. We didn't need the big twin and I have no intention of upgrades for more power, even though it is an 88.

Old 03-31-2020 | 01:23 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Brad
Good feedback and much appreciated. I am not surprised on the soft suspension comments, partly due to shock angle, and partly due to your weight, according to yourself. The air shocks were an improvement for my sportster as well. More room for the missus and I would also be nice. I would like more storage in the luggage area, which was and is, why I was considering the touring bikes. I still have not given up on them either. At my height, I do not want a bike that controls are hard to reach. I can handle the bike when rolling, its just when my stubby legs have to push, I need to be flat footed.

On the 88" model, I often wonder if I need the 103 vs the 96". I think the 88 might be closer to the sportster, power wise, when the Dynas weight is factored in. Not sure what the power difference between the 88 and 96 is.

Where you ride 2 up, is it very hilly? Passing slow traffic when 2 up on a grade digs into the power category pretty quick. I am not aggressive in the curves, when 2 up, but do like to cruise at about 70 or so on the freeway.

Old 04-01-2020 | 11:16 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by VAFish
if he wants something for touring he should look at the 2018+ Heritage Softail.

If the windshield isn't to his liking it's pretty easy to add an aftermarket batwing.
Funny, I went to the dealer today to pick up new throttle cables for my sportster, and sat on a 2018 Heritage Softtail. I like the feel of the bike, felt surprisingly light. I know its not a light bike, but the weight is down real low.

I found a 2019 at another dealer that is a surprisingly low price. Former rental bike. Still worth looking at. Problem is, it's about 200 miles north of me. Long way to drive in these times, to possibly be disappointed. It would also require trading in my sporty for me to afford that.

Old 04-02-2020 | 08:42 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Riders Club Member

... it's about 200 miles north of me. Long way to drive in these times, to possibly be disappointed. ...
Look at the bright side ... Gas Prices are down "in these times"

And Ride your bike ... another good excuse

Last edited by multihdrdr; 04-02-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-02-2020 | 12:37 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Yea, my other concern, is I am kinda an at risk person with this crap, and would hate, worst case scenario, to saddle the wife with a debt if something happened to me. Arggg you tend to think the worst sometimes.

Old 04-02-2020 | 07:55 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member

The rear quick detach points on a 2006 and up Dyna are definitely wider apart than on any year Sportster. They are even wider on a 2010 and up Wideglide and Fatbob. Also, 2006 and up Dynas have 49mm fork tubes, not 39mm so the windshields won't interchange either. I'm sorry but I don't know the answer for 2005 and earlier Dynas.

Quick Reply: Dyna vs Sportster