Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021 | 01:23 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pianoman18

Sportster - total visceral experience, you feel everything, control everything, sense everything. If you are into motor and man being one machine, the feel and sound of wind, gears, engine revs, and quick and nimble handling, the Sporty is it. Quick brakes, light turning, and awesome control. You think it , she does it. Kind of reminds me more of snowmobiling or driving a classic car or truck where you are in control of everything.
And THIS is why some of us have no desire or need to 'upgrade'.

Old 02-08-2021 | 02:19 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I didn't really see it as an upgrade, just a change in needs. Bone stock it was a blast, so I can only imagine what the 1275 kits with cams and a tune feel like. Almost brutal it would seem.

Old 02-08-2021 | 05:38 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pianoman18

Sportster - total visceral experience, you feel everything, control everything, sense everything. If you are into motor and man being one machine, the feel and sound of wind, gears, engine revs, and quick and nimble handling, the Sporty is it. Quick brakes, light turning, and awesome control. You think it , she does it. Kind of reminds me more of snowmobiling or driving a classic car or truck where you are in control of everything.
Compared to everything else Harley makes, this is a good analogy. (Just don't ride something truly intuitive, or it'll make you re-phase what your Sporty description...)

Old 02-09-2021 | 11:50 AM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Compared to everything else Harley makes, this is a good analogy. (Just don't ride something truly intuitive, or it'll make you re-phase what your Sporty description...)
The key word he used was visceral. The ones you mention can also be described with one word, boring. The sportster was never meant to be the smoothest, most refined, bike in its class, yet for all its faults that folks like to point out, its probably the number one bike sold in the US, with. 50+ years of production. Pretty hard to beat.

One thing I will say about all HDs. They are usually not the best at everything, and often maybe just the best at some things, but one thing is certain, they stir ones emotions, like no other motorcycle on the road. Their finish quality, in my opinion, is rivaled by no one else.

I have yet to see Vulcan or VStar, clubs riding in groups of 30 or so (or 10 for that matter) anywhere I have been. Yet you can easily see a group of HD riders, anywhere from 2-3 to hundreds. I know the other brands have groups, but they are like baby pigeons. You know they exist, but have you ever seen one?

As a youngster, I grew up around all kinds of motorcycles, and can only remember growing up thinking it was a Harley, I wanted.

Kinda like #45, not the smoothest, not the most refined, not the most polished, but sure got the job done, and put a smile on our face when it happened. To me, the HD is like Americans.

The following 2 users liked this post by handirifle:
Dudepants (02-09-2021), MikeK13 (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021 | 12:24 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

you guys are making me miss my sportster!

The following users liked this post:
MikeK13 (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021 | 01:30 PM
MikeK13
Cruiser

Same here dude... same

The following users liked this post:
Dudepants (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021 | 07:43 PM
handirifle
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I would like another one, but only to make a scrambler/dual sport out of it. Otherwise I would like a KLR or DR650.

Old 02-10-2021 | 12:09 PM
MattLS6
Road Captain

Originally Posted by handirifle
I didn't really see it as an upgrade, just a change in needs. Bone stock it was a blast, so I can only imagine what the 1275 kits with cams and a tune feel like. Almost brutal it would seem.
I've got a 1275 kit with ported heads, cams, short gearing, etc in my Sportster and it's a blast. I've always been/am a big Sportster guy but I actually ride my Dyna more. It's better in many ways, worse in some but a totally different experience. Although the Dyna is my go to, riding a hopped up/very raw Sportster makes me feel a way my Dyna doesn't. To me, both Dynas and Sportsters are awesome in their own respects so it really comes down to what works best for each individual and their riding needs/style/wants.

Last edited by MattLS6; 02-10-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2021 | 01:49 PM
frankjc
Advanced

I have both a Super Glide, and a Sportster. I would never knock a Sportster, I think they are great bikes and still love mine, but I would go with the Dyna. I am 5'8", 150, and fit on it fine.

Old 02-10-2021 | 02:49 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior

The folks that knock Sportsters usually have had their asses handed to them by one. I've gone back and forth from XL's to Dyna's to FXR's and choppers. All have their place and usage but talking just ease of ownership, upgrades and interchangeability the XL's win on all fronts. Comfort, touring, 2 up there are better options but I'd never turn down a hot rod sporty given the chance. Now, dudes who put forwards, apes and bagger fairings on em need their heads checked. It's called a SPORTster, for a reason lol.

Quick Reply: Dyna vs Sportster