Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Driver's Backrest

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:29 AM
JEBS06STBOB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Custom Driver's Backrest

ORIGINAL: Mascman

I have a Wideglide seat with some memory foam and reshaping done, but it really didn't help my lower back

Did you do the memory foam and reshaping yourself? I've been thinking of doing that with my stock solo seat.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:38 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

awesome looking seat i have a side kick. i kinda makes you lean back which does not bother me but squaring me up would be more comfortable. awesome job. i love to tell people i did something myself. have you thought of putting a gel pad in it?

Old 07-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone.

The seat shaping was done by the company on here...Mean City Cycles.

I wanted to them to replicate the HD Reach seat and it is close, but not exact. My brother is running my Reach seat now and although it doesn't have a ton of padding, it is comfortable because the shape is right.

I've done reshaping on my dirt bikes, soI will pull the cover and see what I can do with this.

The seat seems to angle up on the front which seems to rock the pelvis forward...causing the pain...I'm going to make it flatter. Also the rear section is not straight enough going up and down.

I went back to the upholsterer yesterday and he changed out the foam. He glued together 3 pieces of 1" foam with a firmer compound...it's just what I wanted. I think the harder foam will also hold up better in the long run.

TLB - Does that sidekick come in Brunette or Redhead?!I need to get me one of those!

Old 08-05-2007, 11:42 AM
matkiwi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the reshaping I've done on my seat. Cut scallops out at the front so me legs are not so spread, memory foam pad (1 1/2" thick) embedded in the Harley foam. I made the back more upright which gives some support for lower back.
It fits me great and is much more comfortable. Harley foam (hard) holds me in the centre and the memory foam is gentle on my sensitive rear lol. I'm going to cover it with leather over the winter. Got a 1100 mile trip and the end of the month to test it properly.
I like your backrest ... have been toying with fitting one to my motherwell rack but yours looks better ... i hope you don't mind me 'borrowing' the idea !
Mat

[IMG]local://upfiles/24361/B53AE908AE7241FBBE9C88CF02FE8444.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-05-2007, 11:59 AM
rocklayer2
Road Captain

thanks for the comment here is a pic of my custom backrest. yours is way nicer looking. mine is ugly but works.

Thanks for the comment... at least one person can appreciate someone's work.

Maybe I should have posted that I blacked out EVERYTHING on my Bob...it would have gotten more hits!

Love that springer seat on your bike. It looks badass.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: matkiwi

Here's the reshaping I've done on my seat. Cut scallops out at the front so me legs are not so spread, memory foam pad (1 1/2" thick) embedded in the Harley foam. I made the back more upright which gives some support for lower back.
It fits me great and is much more comfortable. Harley foam (hard) holds me in the centre and the memory foam is gentle on my sensitive rear lol. I'm going to cover it with leather over the winter. Got a 1100 mile trip and the end of the month to test it properly.
I like your backrest ... have been toying with fitting one to my motherwell rack but yours looks better ... i hope you don't mind me 'borrowing' the idea !
Mat

Cool.

I've reshaped my dirt bike seats. Most people are scared to mess with this stuff, but it's not too bad to work with.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: rocklayer2

thanks for the comment here is a pic of my custom backrest. yours is way nicer looking. mine is ugly but works.

Maybe I should have posted that I blacked out EVERYTHING on my Bob...it would have gotten more hits!

I don't think it looks too bad.

You could probably spend more time on the bracket, but if it's quick and easy and works, why bother?!

I'll bet that's a pretty nice ride with seat springs and shocks.

Do you think it would work better if the backrest was attached to the seat? That way they could move up/down together.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:44 PM
matkiwi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: matkiwi

Mat

Cool.

I've reshaped my dirt bike seats. Most people are scared to mess with this stuff, but it's not too bad to work with.
Cheers, yeah its easy ... the foam was a bit tough to cut until I used a hot knife which then cut thought it pretty cleanly ... it looks good with the cover pulled tight back over it and stapled into place.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:52 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

fantastic job. looks great and i bet feels even better. keep up the good work. jackyl

Old 08-05-2007, 05:42 PM
BurgerTx
Cruiser

I agree. Perhaps you could chrom the bracket.

ORIGINAL: rocklayer2

I don't think it looks too bad.

You could probably spend more time on the bracket, but if it's quick and easy and works, why bother?!

I'll bet that's a pretty nice ride with seat springs and shocks.

Do you think it would work better if the backrest was attached to the seat? That way they could move up/down together.

Quick Reply: Custom Driver's Backrest