Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 FXDL makeover.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2020 | 01:00 AM
indytrucks
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Vegas should be good, PNW maybe not haha. I'm right on the coast in Japan and they lasted one rain before they went to crap. I'm just glad I realized before I ordered any more than what I did. I'm just going to use stainless ARP and hope they last longer.

Old 03-03-2020 | 10:31 AM
shiftace
|
Road Warrior
Received 840 Likes on 378 Posts

I’m in Colorado now so hoping it’s not real humid or salty here, except for road salt lol. We’ll see

Old 03-11-2020 | 09:09 AM
Chad1200
Road Master
Received 287 Likes on 177 Posts

Hey shiftace - that's a solid FXDL you have there. Your builds are always done right and I love that you still keep it old school with the chrome Thunderheader!

Old 03-11-2020 | 09:39 AM
shiftace
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Chad1200
Hey shiftace - that's a solid FXDL you have there. Your builds are always done right and I love that you still keep it old school with the chrome Thunderheader!
Thanks Chad, appreciate the props!! Yeah I’ve ran em all but always come back to my first love. Thunderheaders always have a spot in my heart.

Old 03-11-2020 | 09:45 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,314 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftace
... but always come back to my first love. Thunderheaders always have a spot in my heart.
As they should ... (have a spot in your heart) ... Nothing sounds like a Thunderheader

Last edited by multihdrdr; 03-11-2020 at 12:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
shiftace (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020 | 11:55 AM
wyotana
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks great! you did some similar things to what I did (dual disk conversion with the touring calipers, taller shocks, 2 into 1 pipe, similar bars and risers, same tail light, quarter fairing etc.) Where are you at in Colorado?

Old 03-11-2020 | 12:22 PM
shiftace
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wyotana
Looks great! you did some similar things to what I did (dual disk conversion with the touring calipers, taller shocks, 2 into 1 pipe, similar bars and risers, same tail light, quarter fairing etc.) Where are you at in Colorado?
thank you. I’m just outside of Fort Collins.

Old 03-11-2020 | 03:04 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 653 Posts

Hey shift. How do the bagger calipers stop? Good? So so...
Also in case I missed it? Did you replace the tensioners?
When I got my bike it had low miles too for the age, and I had the tensioners checked. They were fine at the time but 2 hundred miles later they came apart! Hate to see it happen to anyone else....
But now all is good... Gearz, light cam and carb and bike runs like a charm.....
BTW even if you upgrade your rear shocks to the drag specialties it's a major improvement

The following users liked this post:
shiftace (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020 | 03:17 PM
shiftace
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by REW13
Hey shift. How do the bagger calipers stop? Good? So so...
Also in case I missed it? Did you replace the tensioners?
When I got my bike it had low miles too for the age, and I had the tensioners checked. They were fine at the time but 2 hundred miles later they came apart! Hate to see it happen to anyone else....
But now all is good... Gearz, light cam and carb and bike runs like a charm.....
BTW even if you upgrade your rear shocks to the drag specialties it's a major improvement
The new brakes are night and day different. Firm lever, one finger pressure really. Nice and smooth and repeatable with zero fade. I rode mountain roads this weekend and was on em super hard and they never made me nervous. I put stock tensioners in the cam and primary the week I got it. Even with the low miles I didn’t want to chance that nylon holding up over time.

I love DX shocks, and honestly I’ve never out ridden these shocks or wished for more, since they do everything I ask. Plus I like stock stuff that looks and works as good as most aftermarket stuff. Now, money no object I’d do Ohlins mostly because they’re pretty easily serviceable and offer tons of adjustment just not budget friendly.

“Planning” on a whole motor/trans/primary upgrade next winter so stashing money away already.

Old 03-11-2020 | 03:27 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,253 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftace

Question for you, when you installed your Thunderheader bracket how did you handle the stud that I have circled in red? When I installed mine, if I left the stud in the case the fixed nut pushed the bracket out and if I tried to put the stud through the bracket it was too short. I ended up grinding down the fixed nut on it so it fits inside the hole in the bracket, then used the nut that held the OEM bracket on.

Quick Reply: 01 FXDL makeover.