Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 08:39 AM
Skrapyeroc
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Alright so I grabbed a set of used cams from a buddy with 4-5k on them (mine had 20k). I didn't notice what I hope is surface rust on one lobe:

I rolled my pushrods on a piece of glass and found that the front two (which I thought might be suspect) are good, but the rear two I can slide a .003" feel gauge under the middle of. Anybody have any specs on pushrod tolerances?

I still can't find anything wrong with my lifters other than laterallate rain the roller, but I'm not putting them back in.

Last question (for now) is about my bores. I didn't measure them yet, but I see some striations on the front AND rear:

You can't feel them with a finger, but I'll update with measurements tonight.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:41 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

This was a well known issue - the hardness on the cams was not good enough. It was not the lifter. Replace cam bearings, lifters and cams. You will also see that the OE cams are so sad that the lifter roller actually runs off of one of the lobes.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:09 PM
Gearhead88
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

I worked for a dealer for many many years , it was not unusual to open up a cam chest to find this kind of wear/ damage . When you found one in this condition , It was like ….. wtf !! wrong material used ? , no heat treat ? whatever the case they made a lot of them like this.

Ed knows …… side note , I was a student of Ed's , In 2004 I think

Old 02-06-2020, 07:16 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gearhead88
I worked for a dealer for many many years , it was not unusual to open up a cam chest to find this kind of wear/ damage . When you found one in this condition , It was like ….. wtf !! wrong material used ? , no heat treat ? whatever the case they made a lot of them like this.

Ed knows …… side note , I was a student of Ed's , In 2004 I think
Awesome to see old friends! Bad heat treat. So common we called them soft cams.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:22 PM
Gearhead88
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Awesome to see old friends! Bad heat treat. So common we called them soft cams.
I've known Wally (Fairview) 36 years , yup ….. we go way back , he was the service manager when he was a dealership employee , I worked there , it was small and o so simple back then and yup , we sold and serviced shovelheads . . The course I mentioned above was a race tuner course , the old TTS version .

Old 02-06-2020, 07:34 PM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,032 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Skrapyeroc
I've got an 01 Tsport and I pulled my cam plate to upgrade to hydraulic tensioners and found this:

The lifter riding on that cam was a little reluctant to come out, but I didn't really have to force it out. I'll be checking the cam bore tonight.

The rest of the lobes were not great:

I'll check my pushrods tonight and make sure they're still straight.

I found some stock cams and lifters for a good price and I'll throw those in.

Any advice on testing lifters? The ones I pulled look fine, but clearly something went wrong.

Anybody have anything else I need to check before I button this all up?
if stock cams are all you’re after I’ve got a pair you can have.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:53 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

I've known Wally (Fairview) 36 years , yup ….. we go way back , he was the service manager when he was a dealership employee , I worked there , it was small and o so simple back then and yup , we sold and serviced shovelheads . . The course I mentioned above was a race tuner course , the old TTS version .
Holy Cow. The first years of that class were rough. I hope it was worth your while!

I worked with it so much that by the end, Screamin’ Eagle sent their engineers to the class.

Wally is awesome! He has a great story about finding an old guy who collected motorcycles!

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 02-06-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:50 AM
Skrapyeroc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by brownie4412
if stock cams are all you’re after I’ve got a pair you can have.
mileage, price, and shipping to 11222?

Old 02-07-2020, 07:01 AM
Skrapyeroc
Cruiser

Ok, so it's common. The bigger question is, can I still run it. My biggest concern now is the cam bores. Any advice on that aspect?

Old 02-07-2020, 07:19 AM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,032 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Skrapyeroc
mileage, price, and shipping to 11222?
the bike had 25k on it when I took them out. I mean you can have them. I surely don’t need them, and if you want them they’re yours. Shipping is probably $8 in a flat rate envelope.

Quick Reply: Lifter issue