Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PROBLEM with RUSH slip-ons

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 06:11 PM
lilrooster76
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROBLEM with RUSH slip-ons

OK, I installed a set of RUSH slip ons on my 07 FXDC, after less than a month the lower slip-on started to get this wierd looking effect on it, kinda looked like it was crackling. I took it to the dealer and they agreed something was wrong and had RUSH send out another pipe. I did notice that the pipe angled down just a hair from being straight, but the dealer never even batted an eye at that (I installed them). Well my new pipe came in on saturday and I took it home and put it on, now since I had noticed that it wasn't lined up I figured while I was at it I should.line it up, because I like it to be perfect. Well.....It will not line up!!! There is not enough clearance to put the top pipe in if the bottom pipe is put on straight. So I said screw it and left it angled down a hair and installed it. It is barely even noticable, like I said the dealer didnt even see it. Problem is after only 200 miles the new pipe is doing it as well!!!!!! WTF is going on here? Could it be a leak causing this? The pipe almost looks like it has something on it, but I cant find anything to take it off. Any idea what to do about getting it to line up, am I going to have to take the whole exhaust off? GRRRRRRRRR!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 08:23 PM
lilrooster76
Tourer
Default RE: PROBLEM with RUSH slip-ons

bump

Old 07-17-2007, 08:40 PM
surveyor
Cruiser

Mine were installed by the dealer and the bottom pipe is angled down just a tad compared to the top pipe. Must be made that away. Not really noticeable IMO. I just enjoy the sound and ride.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:50 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got Rush mufflers on my 07 FXDC and they fit good. You have to play with the rotation of them as you tighten the bolts for the bracket soyou don't put them in a bind. Sounds like you may have the mufflers in a bind and the chrome is cracking as a result. Leave the muffler to headpipe clamps loose until you get the mufflers and bracket aligned good.
They're 3" in diameter, so they're pretty close, but I've got about 1/4" between the top and bottom mufflers.
Possible one of your head pipes isn't bent right, too.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:09 PM
bikecop40
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW and I thought it was just me lol.........no $hit I had the same thing happen to me. I did the install myself and had a sloppy fit ( to loose) the top pipe tilted down hitting the bottom pipe and looked like crap! took both of them off and tried again at this point the clamp would not tighten up, so off the the dealer to pick up another clamp,,,,, installed to specs and.SNAP the dam thing broke at 40lbs, off to the dealer to pick up another clamp. I installed a new clamp and did the best to line everything up (and they do with a twist or too)they look and sound good too.
Sorry to be so long winded but if every thing is tight and lined up they should be stright and the clearance should be there, as far as any discoloration mine look perfect
Good Luck
D/C

Old 07-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Slope
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On another note, I have been seeing people complaining about discoloration. I wonder...

Old 07-18-2007, 04:44 AM
lilrooster76
Tourer

I've twisted turned pulled pryed, kicked, begged and prayed! No matter what I do I can not get that lower pipe to be straight if the top one is straight.....what did the stealer charge you to put yours on?? I just dont undestand what else I can do to make theswe things fit properly, I know I'm not an engineer, but I can tell when something does not line up right...when you say they may be in a bind, what do you mean?

Old 07-18-2007, 06:50 AM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In a bind; meaning that if you tighten the muffler to head pipe clamps before you get the muffler to muffler support bracket aligned perfectly, the mufflers may be put in a bind when you tighten the bolts for the support bracket. You have to assemble things loosely, get everything lined up properly then tighten the fasteners a little bit at a time making sure everything stays lined up.
The inlets on my mufflers were a little oversized, which I believe is common for Rush, so that leaves another opportunity for misalignment. Unless you have a manufacturing defect with something, they'll go on straight. Try swapping the front and rear mufflers and see if that makes any difference.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:06 PM
fendrix
Cruiser

I have an FXDL and the lower pipe does the same for me. Never really thought about it. Some pics of the discoloration/cracking problem might help find a cure....

Old 07-19-2007, 10:46 PM
mikehunthurtz
Intermediate

[8D]no prob. with my rush slips. Did what Murphdog said pretty much. No flaws w/ da chrome after 2k milos.Torqued em down @60 ft/lb with a re snug at 65 a week or 2 later. Be patient it will work out Bro. Maybe email rush they are pretty open with info there.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11023/F795FBDFCE1B4609B646ECE6615B98BE.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: PROBLEM with RUSH slip-ons