Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer not working, then loss of electrical power

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 07:49 AM
David Hansen
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer not working, then loss of electrical power

The speedometer on my 2002 fxdwg quite working and the digital read out that says the mileage reads error. Then about 5 miles later my bike shut off like it's not getting electrical power. I have high beams but no low beam, no turn signal or tail light. The 2 turn signal indicator lights in my dash stay on though. If I hook my bike up to jump start it, it makes a clicking sound like the starter isn't getting enough power

Old 12-10-2019, 08:24 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 835 Likes on 597 Posts

First thing I'd look at is both ends of all the heavy power cables: battery to solenoid and solenoid to starter, and battery to engine and frame grounds.

The following users liked this post:
David Hansen (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 08:51 AM
David Hansen
6th Gear

Originally Posted by John CC
First thing I'd look at is both ends of all the heavy power cables: battery to solenoid and solenoid to starter, and battery to engine and frame grounds.
Thank you I will check that as soon as I get home from work

Old 12-10-2019, 09:46 AM
jandrso
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, check the battery voltage with the ignition off. If it is under 11v or so once you turn it on it will drop .4v and start the clicking sound. It should be 12.6 or more I think.
Sounds like a loose ground or other loose wire like the John CC said, given the symptoms you describe. I just went through this little exercise. It was a cascading combination of wires working loose, 3 yr old battery, and bad voltage regulator. I have an '02 88 like you.

Good luck and let us know if that works!

Old 12-10-2019, 06:20 PM
David Hansen
6th Gear

Ok. So the battery was toast. It had a crack in it. Replaced the battery, bike starts now but still have no turn signals or low beam.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:33 PM
tygr1
Cruiser
Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts

Now, check fuses and be certain of your battery connections. Alternately, one of those wires *could* have overheated trying to move too much current from the bad battery, causing a short somewhere.

Hope for the first case. Also, is new battery fully charged?

The following users liked this post:
David Hansen (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 06:41 PM
David Hansen
6th Gear

Originally Posted by tygr1
Now, check fuses and be certain of your battery connections. Alternately, one of those wires *could* have overheated trying to move too much current from the bad battery, causing a short somewhere.

Hope for the first case. Also, is new battery fully charged?
ok will do! Thank you!
yes the new battery is fully charged. Just took her out for about an hour.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:45 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 835 Likes on 597 Posts

Check the headlight bulb. When batteries crack they often loose their damping ability on the alternator. Alternators can put out a ton of voltage when there's no battery to damp them. If the low beam is burned out, look at the signal bulbs and flasher (if the bike has a flasher). If it's a newer bike with a turn signal control module, you could be looking at a new one.)

Also, look closely for signs of leaked electrolyte, even if it's a sealed battery. Clean anything up with a baking soda and water solution.

The following 2 users liked this post by John CC:
David Hansen (12-11-2019), tygr1 (12-10-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 12:27 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,482 Likes on 2,427 Posts

I had a Sportster that did this. MOCO's power/ground are just long enough to go from battery to post or ground to ground. I started checking the terminals crimps and found the wires crimped in the terminal lugs had corroded to almost nothing, two strands were trying to carry the voltage. Check those swages/ crimped ends.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:43 PM
David Hansen
6th Gear

Ok. So I haven't fixed the turn signal yet. Yesterday though I was out for a ride and it did it again. Bike spuddered a few times then the battery died. The battery looked like it's been over charging. I replaced the battery this morning now the bike wont fire up. It turns over but no fire

Quick Reply: Speedometer not working, then loss of electrical power