Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling baffles

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:19 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling baffles

Well, I took the bike in and they replaced the broken front heat shield with one that is not cut out but molded to clear the front foot peg mount. I mentioned to the service rep that I was hearing a rattle that didn't sound like the heat shield. They put some padding under the indicator light cover and eliminated that rattle. On the way home, I heard the rattle again. When I got home and the bike cooled, I went out and began the search for the elusive rattle. I found it when I kicked the mufflers. A distinctive rattle. It sounded like the rear muffler.
Yesterday, I pulled the rear muffler off and there it was. When I shake the muffler, something inside rattles. I looked inside and can't see anything moving. I was happy but for a moment to know that I had found the rattle.
With the rear muffler still off, I kicked the front muffler and there it was again.
I pulled the front muffler off and it also rattles when I shake it. There is something loose in it also.
I suspect that both mufflers have loose baffles in them. Here we go again. Another warranty fight. 10 months and 9500 miles and both baffles are loose.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
By the way, the heat shield was no problem. Cajun Harley looked at, ordered a new one and put it on while they changed my rear tire that I brought them strapped to the seat on the bike.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:31 PM
tbone52
Road Warrior
Default RE: Rattling baffles

I contacted Cajun Harley Davidson and Thursday morning will have new mufflers installed under warranty.
I told the service rep that when I kicked the mufflers it sounded like rocks in a tin can. He said "Yep, that's the sound." I also told him I took both mufflers off and shook them to make sure that it wasn't something else making that sound and they were both doing it. He said they would replace them under warrranty or I could put aftermarket (Rush) mufflers on.
I told him that would be very nice of them and he said "Oh no, they wouldn't be free. You'd have to pay for them." Oh well, it was worth a try.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:38 PM
tbone52
Road Warrior
Default RE: Rattling baffles - Update

Got up at 5:30 this morning. Got my morning chores done and left the house at 6:45. Arrived at the service door at 8:00 sharp just as the door was being opened. The service writer came out and asked what was up. I told them about the baffles and I was there to have new mufflers put on. Service writer says "Have to look and see if we have them."
Time out!
I told them I was somewhat puzzled by this as I had already called two days ago and was told that you had them. I said I would not be extremely mad if it turned out that they didn't have them but I would be somewhat miffed.
Yep, they didn't have them in stock and would have to order them. They said they were sorry.
I said well, I learned a valuable lesson today. Always ask who I am talking to and have them fax me proof that they have an item in stock before I take a day off and drive an hour to find out I'm not going to get the parts I expected.
The SW told me whoI talked to and said that he was new and had only turned and asked someone if the mufflers were in stock and whoever it was said they were.
Then the SW offered some Rush mufflers that were cheaper than the stock mufflers but I would have to go ahead and put the Stage 1 kit with the air cleaner and a remap for $360.
I said I was under the impression that if only the mufflers were changed that the remap wasn't necessary. I was told no if I didn't remap with the new mufflers, the bike would run lean and hot. I said it already runs lean and hot and changing the mufflers wouldn't change that.
Oh no, changing the mufflers would cause more air to flow and the bike would run lean and hot without a remap.
I said order the new stock mufflers and call me when they get in. The SW offered to ship them to me to save me a trip but they would need the old ones back.I said no I would come back. I don't know why I said that. I should have had them ship them to me.
I don't understand if the new stock mufflers are $360 and the new Rush mufflers are $299 (in stock), why wouldn't it be in their best interest to put the Rush mufflers on?
Sounds like bait and switch to me so I am going to make them order the stock mufflers and install them. I said I wanted new clamps also because the clamps are probably one-time use only.
I understand everyone screws up occasionally but, I was careful to ask if they mufflers were in stock before I drove up there.