Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Bike ? Dyna or Softail

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:09 PM
RichardnTn
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Bike ? Dyna or Softail

At present, I have an '04 1200R Sportster which I love but when I'm riding 2 up with the wife I would like to have a more comfortable ride. I can work a Dyna into the budget and was wondering since it has the same type shocks as the Sportster, am I going to get a similiar ride ? If so, I am going to try to work out the finances for a Softail... For some this may be a simple question but for me, I don't want to spend 14K and realize I made the wrong purchase...thanks RichardnTn

Old 07-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Which Bike ? Dyna or Softail

From what I heard is that the Softail does not ride as well two up as a dyna. But I haven't been able to confirm that.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Georgia Rider
Cruiser

Had an 05 1200R. When two up it would bottom out and good bumps with my daughter on the back. I am 190 and she 130.
With my 06 Dyna I have never bottomed out, two up or otherwise.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:58 PM
dynaguy
Cruiser

Came off a 1200C.Went to a Wide Glide. Have not looked back. The WG has the longest wheelbase of any harley. Rides real smooth.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Drexor69
Tourer

This is the perfect place to come for an unbiased opinion!

Glad we could help!

Old 07-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Trout
Cruiser

The Dyna definately has the most potential for rear suspension comfort and adjustability. It's pretty tough to fine tune the rear suspension on a Softail, although a lot of touring types really like their Heritage Classics.

Also, in reply to your wondering if the Dyna will be different than the Sportster, even though the Sportster and Dyna are both swingarm bikes, the Dyna has a longer wheel base, different rear shock geometry, and other factors that make it a much better 2-up bike than a Sportster. I've done 2-up touring on both bikes and the Sportster is not nearly as favorable for the passenger.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:33 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Softail? Soft Tail: Oxymoron at best. Softails are the better looking of the two, no question. More looks and praises than almost any Harley if not the best. Corners, around town, and comfort, look no further than the Dyna. Fastest, lightest, and able to make perform, no question there also. Dyna. I bought the first belt drive Sofatil called the Super Custom (1985 in November of 1984). Put 88k mi on it, sold it for $9K but paid $8.8k new. Good bike to me. Than bought a 1993 Heritage. Getting older (in November 1992). Skip forward thru a few years till today. I have had a 2005 Dyna EFI Lowrider for a year or so now. Just like my 1978 ½ Lowrider that I bought for $4.4k new. Well, it looks similar but a world of difference. Same soul, however. It is for sale in the classifieds for $10.5. Was not satisfied with anything Harley so I am just finishing this FXR and have bought a Roadking (getting older). Kept the front part of the frame and title, everything else is gone. What to buy? Well buy both as you can afford them if you build them yourself! 2 basket cases. Get up and off that damned couch and do something constructive.

Howard, motorcyclemetal.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/F255AED264EA4C719B065A06812C5DF0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/E3FAC6A9C2F145AB8EEE733ABDA4D20B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-15-2007, 11:35 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

ORIGINAL: Trout

The Dyna definately has the most potential for rear suspension comfort and adjustability. It's pretty tough to fine tune the rear suspension on a Softail, although a lot of touring types really like their Heritage Classics.

Also, in reply to your wondering if the Dyna will be different than the Sportster, even though the Sportster and Dyna are both swingarm bikes, the Dyna has a longer wheel base, different rear shock geometry, and other factors that make it a much better 2-up bike than a Sportster. I've done 2-up touring on both bikes and the Sportster is not nearly as favorable for the passenger.
This man knows what he is talking about!

Howard, motorcyclemetal.com

Old 07-16-2007, 07:11 AM
dynaguy
Cruiser

Go make this post in softail forum. Lets see what happens.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Chipstah
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Trout

Exactly, well said! Both bikes have their following, but after a lot of research and info like above, my needs/desires dictated the dyna street bob - old school look with slight mods and modern performance and handling were most important considerations to me - if i wanted the "chopper" look I would have gone with a real chopper!

Quick Reply: Which Bike ? Dyna or Softail