Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My ‘new’ Dyna - ‘99 FXDX

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 05:32 AM
Bradfxdx
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What extended mids did you install? I have a 99 fxdx as well but all the extended mids were for 06+.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:41 AM
R_Einan
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradfxdx
What extended mids did you install? I have a 99 fxdx as well but all the extended mids were for 06+.
I used the Harley kit from the P&A catalog, and Harley says they fit 06+. But If you research the OEM part numbers for a ‘99 vs the OEM p/n for an ‘06+, the standard mid controls are the same p/n. So I took a chance and ordered them. They fit without any modification.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:52 AM
Bradfxdx
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Einan
I used the Harley kit from the P&A catalog, and Harley says they fit 06+. But If you research the OEM part numbers for a ‘99 vs the OEM p/n for an ‘06+, the standard mid controls are the same p/n. So I took a chance and ordered them. They fit without any modification.
Thank you! I didn't even think about that, just assumed it wouldn't work. Being 6'3" that's great news. One more question for you. What did you need for the narrow belt? I was going to run a chain in order to get a 150 tire on but really don't want to deal with the maintenance. Everyone talks about the fender bolts which I don't understand at all. I initially bought a 150 but when it was installed it was jammed against the belt. No fender bolts were even close. Had to take it off and order a 130. Thanks in advance man! Here's a picture of my project. Needs alot more work but it's coming along.

Last edited by Bradfxdx; 07-02-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:11 PM
R_Einan
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bradfxdx
Thank you! I didn't even think about that, just assumed it wouldn't work. Being 6'3" that's great news. One more question for you. What did you need for the narrow belt? I was going to run a chain in order to get a 150 tire on but really don't want to deal with the maintenance. Everyone talks about the fender bolts which I don't understand at all. I initially bought a 150 but when it was installed it was jammed against the belt. No fender bolts were even close. Had to take it off and order a 130. Thanks in advance man! Here's a picture of my project. Needs alot more work but it's coming along.

looking really good bud!

The MOCO doesn’t always list every possible fitment on parts, probably because the haven’t (or can’t) verify it. But sometimes you can figure it out on your own.

As for the narrow belt: Harley had a kit, years ago, to install a narrower pull and belt on the 99 Dynas ( HD 40264-00), which has been disco for years. It used pulley p/n 40263-00 and the 1.125” belt from the 2000-2005. I found 3 in the country a few months ago and ordered 1. If you have your dealer do a dealer search under the kit part number, give you the list, and make some phone calls, you might get lucky and find one still available. You also need a belt guard from a 2000-2005 because the upper guard is narrower as well (the ‘99 MIGHT fit, but it looked too close for my comfort). Using this kit, you don’t need any adapter to mount the pulley to the wheel.

If you send me a PM with an email address I can send you pics of the parts in the kit. I haven’t installed it yet as I’m getting more parts together to redo the swingarm bearings, motor mounts, and add a stabilizer while it’s all a part.

Last edited by R_Einan; 07-02-2020 at 01:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sicky (05-04-2021)
Old 09-16-2020, 06:12 PM
R_Einan
Road Master

Been a bit since I updated this...

Still haven’t torn into the primary and swingarm, was planning to then had a bunch of stuff come up. Plus, ended up needing to replace a bunch of stuff when the damn thing was idling on the driveway, warming up for a ride, when it shook itself off the kickstand stop . Yep, dumped over on the left side... so, new peg, shift peg, grips, clutch lever, mirror, riser bushings, and derby cover later; I can be almost where I was before. Was planning to repaint it next year anyway, so the reminder gets to stay on the tank until I can afford to repaint.

ANYWAYS, my work was cancelled today because of the lovely smoke covering the PNW so I went down to a vinyl wrap shop and picked up a scrap of gloss black vinyl. Been on my mind for a bit because I blacked out the entire forks except the upper tube between the trees. It’s a lot easier that I thought it would be to work with and turned out pretty well for a first time. I’m sure it won’t look nice forever, so I’ll try and do a better job the next time, but unless you get all up in there you can’t really spot it.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:22 PM
R_Einan
Road Master

Got an email that Brass ***** Cycle is closing their doors, so I picked up a couple things I had my eye on. Think they will look good.

Old 10-09-2020, 05:55 PM
R_Einan
Road Master

Here are the pieces from Brass *****, shame they are going under because they are really well done. Thinking I might need carbon fiber gauge faces to go with that top clamp

The following 2 users liked this post by R_Einan:
BelchFire (10-13-2020), Oldun (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 08:25 AM
twincam10353
Road Master
Received 249 Likes on 179 Posts

Dude...you are absolutely killing it. I wish I had half of your knowledge. I am on the hunt for my own FXDX but would settle for the right FXD...

The following 2 users liked this post by twincam10353:
R_Einan (10-13-2020), sicky (05-16-2021)
Old 10-13-2020, 09:11 PM
R_Einan
Road Master

Originally Posted by twincam10353
Dude...you are absolutely killing it. I wish I had half of your knowledge. I am on the hunt for my own FXDX but would settle for the right FXD...
Thanks bud, I’ve always wanted to do up a DX and now I’ve got my chance, long ways to go before I’m finished though.

I’m happy to share any knowledge I can, so if you have any questions I’ll help however. What good is knowledge if you don’t use and share it? As for finding a DX, watch craigslist, a good deal will pop up eventually. A lowrider is close in form, some suspension changes and a lot of wrinkle black and it’s hard to tell the difference unless you are a DX guy.

Old 10-14-2020, 10:49 AM
twincam10353
Road Master
Received 249 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Einan
Thanks bud, I’ve always wanted to do up a DX and now I’ve got my chance, long ways to go before I’m finished though.

I’m happy to share any knowledge I can, so if you have any questions I’ll help however. What good is knowledge if you don’t use and share it? As for finding a DX, watch craigslist, a good deal will pop up eventually. A lowrider is close in form, some suspension changes and a lot of wrinkle black and it’s hard to tell the difference unless you are a DX guy.
I'd probably look for an FXD before a Lowrider.

Quick Reply: My ‘new’ Dyna - ‘99 FXDX