Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My ‘new’ Dyna - ‘99 FXDX

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 06:01 PM
R_Einan
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by scoop_fraser
I would suggest getting in touch with David at Fast Bike Industries. I had them install some Andreani cartridges in my 2"-longer-than-stock fork tubes on my 2000 FXD and I'm quite happy.
Really? How do they ride for you? Were there different spring rates available?

Old 12-29-2019, 02:25 PM
scoop_fraser
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Before I had the Andreani's installed I had the Works Performance "cartridge" setup. I use quotes because the Works setup wasn't a true cartridge system since it still relied on the damper tube. The Andreanis do away with the damper rod and are considered a true cartridge. The compression and rebound of the forks now are very predictable and spring compression, rebound, and compression are all adjustable at the top of the fork tube without disassembly. The biggest difference in ride is the compliance in the front end. It absorbs the small and medium bumps so that you don't really notice them. Up here in Northern Alberta our roads are garbage-frost heaves, potholes, tar snakes...I needed something to absorb the small-medium stuff so that I could enjoy the ride. I haven't even messed with the adjustments on mine since they seem to work. This past summer I test rode a 2019 Road Glide Special-got about a 45 minute ride in. I'm not really familiar with the tourning line but, I expected the ride to be nice and smooth...I couldn't wait to get back on my FXD (I also have Ohlins in the back). I was quite disappointed in the oem Road Glide suspension.

I don't know if they have adjustable spring rates--that would be a question for David. I learned about these cartridges on this forum so with some digging you should be able to get some more information.

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
R_Einan (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 04:30 PM
R_Einan
Road Master

Originally Posted by scoop_fraser
Before I had the Andreani's installed I had the Works Performance "cartridge" setup. I use quotes because the Works setup wasn't a true cartridge system since it still relied on the damper tube. The Andreanis do away with the damper rod and are considered a true cartridge. The compression and rebound of the forks now are very predictable and spring compression, rebound, and compression are all adjustable at the top of the fork tube without disassembly. The biggest difference in ride is the compliance in the front end. It absorbs the small and medium bumps so that you don't really notice them. Up here in Northern Alberta our roads are garbage-frost heaves, potholes, tar snakes...I needed something to absorb the small-medium stuff so that I could enjoy the ride. I haven't even messed with the adjustments on mine since they seem to work. This past summer I test rode a 2019 Road Glide Special-got about a 45 minute ride in. I'm not really familiar with the tourning line but, I expected the ride to be nice and smooth...I couldn't wait to get back on my FXD (I also have Ohlins in the back). I was quite disappointed in the oem Road Glide suspension.

I don't know if they have adjustable spring rates--that would be a question for David. I learned about these cartridges on this forum so with some digging you should be able to get some more information.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for sharing your impressions with me, I actually have a ‘15 roadie with legends suspension front and rear. It rides well but the non-adjustable front end is a little stiff solo even set with zero preload. So your thoughts are quite helpful! I will have to get in contact with David at FastBike and see what he has to say.

Thank again for letting me know what your thoughts were, I appreciate it.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:18 PM
rileyjcumming2548
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 inch pullbacks

Originally Posted by R_Einan

Added the extended mids, new pegs, bitwell high trackers, new grips, and 6 inch pullback risers. Also changed the fuel lines and bled the brakes. I need to swap the front brake lines because I don’t like how kinked the master cylinder connection is. It’s a 90 degree banjo, and I could swap just that but the lines are old anyway. Which means I’ll need to do the throttle cables and clutch line as well; things have to match.

Next up is getting rid of the vacuum petcock, replacing intake seals, and going through the carb. Probably do an air cleaner (thinking Ness) while I’m there.

did you need to extend your cables for 6 inch risers?

Old 02-02-2020, 11:55 AM
R_Einan
Road Master

Originally Posted by Riley.cumming@hotmail.com
did you need to extend your cables for 6 inch risers?
No, I didn’t, but none of the lines were factory anyway so it’s hard to say. I’ve replaced the throttle idle cables already and have new hydraulic hoses to go in when I redo the front end. Then brake line was tighter than I liked anyway so I ordered longer lines.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:20 AM
R_Einan
Road Master

Tear down started for powder coating, still need to take the forks apart. To fit a 110/80-19 I am going to have the fork legs machined before they are coated. I’m going to have them take the fender mounting bosses down flush with the fork leg to gain 3/8” of fender width, along with have the countersink opened up a little to accommodate a hardware change (I’m going to reverse the mounting bolts using a button head on the inside and an arp nut on the outside). I found a fender that will work for what I’m trying to do, it’s a universal fiberglass fender from west-eagle that is just shy of 5” wide. Once the front end is coated and back together I’ll mock up the fender and figure out how I’m going to cut it down for the look I want. I also have a ton of new hardware piled up on my bench to replace the old OEM stuff, a mix of arp and other fasteners in black oxide.

After the legs are machined and powder coated the forks will get shipped down to fastbike to have Andreani cartridges put in. When they return everything will go back together with a fork brace from Superbrace, gaiters, and LED wrap turn signals from CD on the fork tubes. I was planning to doing PM 4 piston calipers and EBC rotors up front but money is a little tight and I’ll have to wait on that for a bit.

Next up is the back end; I have a belt guard from an ‘05 DX, and a 1-1/8 70T pulley from an ‘05 softail waiting. I’m going to pull the primary to replace the belt with a 1-1/8 belt so I can run a 150/80-16 out back. Looking at Avon storm or spirits for the tires, figure a nice sport touring tire will be sticky enough. Planning to do Swingarm bushings while I have the primary apart and probably new motor mounts and Sputhe stabilizers.

Last edited by R_Einan; 02-14-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:20 AM
Craigny
Road Master
Received 383 Likes on 232 Posts

Sweet looking Superglide Sport already...the mods you have planned sound killer...looking forward to the final product!

Old 02-23-2020, 01:15 PM
R_Einan
Road Master

Played around with a wiring idea this morning, trying to get an approximation if the Magnum Black Pearl cables and lines I’m using. These are the hand control wires that I put black PET braided sleeving over than used clear double wall heat shrink tubing to cover it. It’s a touch glossier but the color is pretty close. Thought it would look good with the hand control wires done to match.

What do you guys think?

Old 02-23-2020, 01:59 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Love the work so far. The braided sleeve with heat shrink is a clever idea. Whose sleeving are you using? I've been happiest with Techflex. They have a huge selection with various braid densities and materials. I like the Flexo Tight Weave (PTT0) and F6 Woven (F6W0). The regular weave stuff allows too much of the enclose wire colors to show, IMO.

Old 02-23-2020, 02:04 PM
R_Einan
Road Master

Originally Posted by cggorman
Love the work so far. The braided sleeve with heat shrink is a clever idea. Whose sleeving are you using? I've been happiest with Techflex. They have a huge selection with various braid densities and materials. I like the Flexo Tight Weave (PTT0) and F6 Woven (F6W0). The regular weave stuff allows too much of the enclose wire colors to show, IMO.
it’s some stuff I snagged on amazon, Alex Tech is the brand. Honestly I wish it was a little tighter weave with wider weaves so it would look closer, but it looks close enough. Have to see how it looks when it’s all back together and has some age on it. I might redo it if it turns out looking poor. Thanks for the heads up on the better brand. I’ll take a look at them and see if it’s worth doing over.

Quick Reply: My ‘new’ Dyna - ‘99 FXDX